“A Trip of a Lifetime”

Los Tres Balcones Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cachora
Los Tres Balcones Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 4 Cachora B&B and Inns
Lake Forest Park, Washington, United States
“A Trip of a Lifetime”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I've probably been on about 20 "trips of a lifetime" from the jungles of Guatemala to the Arctic Circle moose hunting and canoeing the Colville River, to Winter Storms, 100 knot winds in the Aleutian Islands in January, but the one organized by Oscar for me, my Three Daughters, My friend and his daughter, had to be right at the very top. I asked Oscar, kiddingly, if for the price he was asking (it was really a bargain but I had to haggle with him) if we were going to get Lobster Sandwiches, but close to it. He organized 15 mules, a horse, 5 muleteers, a guide, assistant guide, and chef, and off we went first to Choquequirao, then on to Pincho Uniyok, then Maizal, over a Pass and over another pass, and on and on for 10 days of some glorious hiking, scenery, and advneture. Our first night stay in the Hostel, we had the best Pizza I have ever had, the accomodations were very clean, with indoor toilet, shower, all the amenities. They take real care of their guests. I am thinking of going back, but wouldn't dream of doing it without Oscar's assistance. I wrote a book with lots of picture through Blurb if you want to fork over the dough to see some breathtaking scenery.

rgds

charlie Bright

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Charlie B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colorado
Reviewed 8 December 2011

First of all, in all the fairness I would like to update my previous review- the promised refund for the accommodation did arrive, few month later, but it did for the full night accommodation we paid.

Second- This place is not in the Sacred Valley, it is three hours away fro Cuzco. I sent a note with detailed explanation of the location to the Trip advisor, but they seem to know better.

Tres Balcones is located in villae of Cachora, 1 hour away from Albancay, 3 hours from Cuzco, at the start of Choquiqurao trek.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boleslav
Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Cachora is a starting point for the Choquiquerao trail, leading to the Sacred sister of Machu Picchu. There is not whole lot information on the accommodation in Cachora in the guidebooks, we were told of theTres Balcones by a customer who stayed with them last year. Although the cost of the accommodation was fairly high, $20 per person, we have decided to contact Tres Balcones. Their replies were prompt, information very good, so we have booked a room for one night.

The main disappointment came when we arrived to Cachora. The House looks great from the outside, has three wooden balconies, tiny garden, clay oven for pizza.

The room was OK for one night, but the shower was dirty so we never used it, the door to our room did not have any lock, so we were not able to secure it for the night AND the door did not even close so we had to use our backpacks as a way to block the door in case of unwanted visitor. This is not something you would expect for USD 20 per person.

When we inquired about other room we were told that it is not available, later we have learned that we were the only visitors there and they have another 4-5 rooms.

The dinner which was quite simple, cost 10 US dollars per person, quite a rip off.

We agreed on having a breakfast at 7 am sharp, as we wanted to have an early start for a full day of trekking. But there was no breakfast waiting at 7 am and we had to wake up the cook who was still sleeping at 7 am.

Via email we were provided various information of the condition of the trail, access, taxi etc, once we arrived to Cachora we have learned that the person who sent us those quick and seemingly great replies Francisco, the proprietor, does not live there anymore. Through his emails he made us believe he is in Cachora, but upon arrival there we found out that he manages Tres Balcones via phone from Lima. He was providing us with information at least one year old, as there were massive landslides last spring blocking the road from Cachora to the viewpoint yet he told us we can take a taxi for this portion of the road.

I was so disappointed that after we have returned from the trip I wrote an email voicing my concerns. Surprisingly, the owner of Tres Balcones, Oscar, replied, apologized and offered to send me a refund for the accommodation. That sounded like a nice gesture, but the refund never arrived…..

I would never stay there and would not recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boleslav

Been to Los Tres Balcones Guesthouse? Share your experiences!