“Hoping For The Best”

Restaurant at K Corner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 30 August 2012

This restaurant, now called Lyker House, has changed owners and is no longer named Southern Comfort. This is the closest sit-down restaurant to my home and my wife and I are sincerely hoping the new owner makes a go of it. Our party of four gave it our first try this evening. Every factor you can think of is in this location's favor. Great, historic small town just off I-40, surrounded by historic buildings and across the street from a beautiful, green Revolutionary War-era graveyard. Douglas Lake is one block away The restaurant itself is housed in a beautiful old building right on the corner of the downtown. Just up the street is the court house where Davy Crockett posted his marriage bond before marrying Polly Finlay. There is charming outside seating and comfortable generously-sized booths inside. The decor is pleasant. Everything is in place for a well-run restaurant to succeed, but I've seen four different attempts fail in the past 7 years.
The current menu is somewhat limited, but that is a good thing for a new place. Do a few things well and build on that is a wise plan. My wife's Avocado BLT was delicious she said. Our friends ordered the Shrimp Scampi and the Dandridge Chicken. The chicken dish was very attractively presented with a beautiful garnish of locally-grown Grainger County tomatoes. They both said their choices were very good. My Classic Burger was great and cooked exactly to specification. The chef provided a bowl of fresh, peeled figs with a cheese accompaniment as a favor to my wife. Nice touch. So we'll definitely try them again despite the "newbie" flubs. Limited menu, wait staff willing but not too familiar with the offerings, too many employees standing around, etc. Like I said, we're hoping.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I don't know where to start with this one. I used to absolutely love this restaurant and would recommend it to everyone! The food was amazing and the value was unmatched.
Enter the new owner(sometime over the last few weeks)...frozen freezer fries (used to be seasoned potato wedges, lukewarm food, total menu change, no lemonade, NO BREAKFAST(!!!) and she doesn't believe in comment cards! I am so sad to see this amazing cafe be run to the ground. While I was there I overheard two other customers complaining about both the menu and their food quality. I won't be going back despite this place being filled with family memories.

1  Thank Lakota88
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I have read some of the previous reviews and evidently my wife and I came on a good day. I will agree that the service is uneven but it was friendly. The moonshine fried pickles were delightful and worth the stop by themselves. The salads were fresh and the soup was very good.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I visited Southern Comfort for the third and LAST time today. We noticed that the menu had changed and was informed that there had been a change in ownership. The waitress said that the Philly cheese sandwich was greatly improved over their previous version so I ordered it. This was without a doubt the worse Philly cheese sandwich I have eaten. The meat appeared to be processed deli meat like you buy in plastic boxes in a grocery store.

The waitress suggested chicken tenders for my grand daughter. These were not tenders but appeared to be pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts cut in strips, breaded, then fried. There was no flavor in the chicken or breading. The grand daughter would not eat them.

My wife ordered a chicken club. The chicken was just large, tough, pieces of the same kind of chicken that was cut into tenders. It was a tasteless, messy sandwich.

The three meals were served with fries which were very good. Historic downtown Dandridge needs a quaint place like this, but one that serves real food.

Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

My family & I have been coming to Dandridge for a really long time. We passed this place up several times for no real reason! My husband and I decided to eat here on Saturday & went back on Sunday! The atmosphere was great (we asked to sit outside) & the service was awesome! Our food was excellent! Will definitely be back the next time we are in town!