“Easy on the wallet but must not mind roughing it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Erwin
Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel & Outfitter
Berea, OH
“Easy on the wallet but must not mind roughing it”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

This is my second overnight stay at Uncle Johnny's. I stay here to save money on lodging during my trip to or from Asheville. The first time I stayed here, the cabin was brand new and felt almost like a hotel room. This time, over 5 years later, it has a well used look. The cabin room was dusty, a daddy long leg had taken up residence under the window blind but the bed linens were clean, there was a dresser in the room, along with a small refrigerator, a tv with vcr and tapes, books, a small lamp, a window air conditioner, a portable radiator shaped space heater and an overhead fan with light. The unheated bath house (sinks, toilets, and showers) has separate facilities for men and women. There is hot water. It was 37 degrees F outside when I was there a few days ago. Sitting on a cold toilet seat can send a chill through a body, though. The paths from the cabins to the bath house are well lit. It was quiet, the stars in abundance. Know, too, that a train passes nearby at least a couple of times and the horn is very loud. Can catch one off guard if unaware of it. Otherwise it is quiet with just the refreshing and relaxing sound of the Nolichucky River close by. I like to camp so the roughness and ruggedness of the cabins falls within my expectations. And I loved spending just over $28 for a room. Most importantly, the guys who work here are very helpful and hospitable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank MyWayistheHighway

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband and I reserved a room after finding some good reviews on other websites (but none on TripAdvisor). The rate of $60 a night sounded great, but after seeing the accommodations, we thought twice. The room had not been cleaned or swept in quite a while. The room was very tiny with a double bunk bed on the bottom and twin on the top. There was a TV with a VCR, DVD and some old video tapes. The room also had a mini fridge (which needed cleaning and had some old condiments left by previous occupants) and a microwave. I never opened the microwave so I don't know what condition it was in.

No air conditioning, but only a fan. With the windows closed to keep out any noise, it got a little warm inside at night even though the temperature outside was in the mid to low 60s.

Surprisingly, I didn't hear a lot of noise at night, just an occasional car or person walking along the gravel sidewalk next to our room. I still slept with my ear plugs and face mask.

The shared bathrooms and showers were in a separate building, thankfully only about 15 feet away from our door. We were given two towels to use (a little smelly, but not horrible), but no wash cloths. The showers had some bugs crawling in the bottom, so I had to wash them down the drain before braving a shower. Make sure to bring shower shoes/flip flops! One convenient thing in the bathroom was a bowl filled with toiletries including shampoo, conditioner, lotions, toothpaste, etc.

I was told there was free wifi but only on the porch area. One of the main workers, "Sarge" told us that a shuttle would be leaving for breakfast at 9:00am at JD's Market. My husband and I showed up to give it a try, but what a mistake! While the food is very cheap (I got a huge plate of gravy biscuits for $1.39), it wasn't very good. I wish I had known up front that Sarge wouldn't return until 10:00am. I felt like we wasted our time on this and could have found something much better!

After this experience, my husband and I stayed the next night at the Holiday Inn Express and were told to ask for the Hiker's Rate. With taxes, it came out to be $85/night. Definitely worth the extra $25!!

On the positive side, this place was very affordable, is right beside the Appalachian Trail and the Nolichucky River.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lyia8100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erwin
Mountain Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Burnsville
Best Southern Motel
Best Southern Motel
#1 of 1 in Erwin

Been to Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel & Outfitter? Share your experiences!