Nolichucky Gorge Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Erwin
See available hotels
Mountain Inn & Suites(Erwin)
Carnegie Hotel(Johnson City)
Johnson Inn(Johnson City)
View Hotel
Quality Inn Downtown(Johnson City)
View Hotel
Courtyard Johnson City(Johnson City)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a pretty campground with well spaced level sites. I have tent camped here at least once a year for the past 6 years or more. Despite the review below, everyone on the staff has been super cool to me. Really has a laid back vibe. Only draw back is the trains traveling on the other side of the river, but it's better than hearing higway traffic! I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Randy W
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I went over there to see friends who were camping, and apparently he charges a fee to look at it. It was about 6pm, so it wasn't like I was leaving a car there all day for a shuttle. I was only going to stay an hour or so. However, he came up immediately and someone said I owed money. He said $3 person, 2 people. I waasnt sure if it wasn't just a ripoff because he saw me drive in, but I offerred to write a check or check card. He wouldn't take either, gave tale about not getting governemnt funds. So I had to leave. The next night I came back with the $6 cash so we could visit with friends, about 8:30pm. He immediately again came and stood directly in front of me blocking out path so we could not take another step. He again gave a tale that 'visiting hours were over". I said I brought you the $6 you wanted. He again said visiting hours were over so I had to leave. After I had driven 45 minutes ONE WAY!! AGAIN!!! His name is "L D", and he looks like he is drugged out with glassy red eyes. He is obviously unstable and a horrid (nice word) business person. Nobody should deal with that. Stay somewhere else and use the next river access.

Room Tip: Stay Somehwere Else!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mary C
RickMurraywoodturner, Manager at Nolichucky Gorge Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

The Nolichucky Gorge Campground is a privately funded, family campground, which receives no government assistance, and relies solely on the patronage of its loyal customers. The nominal fee of $3 is charged to each individual who wishes to visit the campground for the day, and grants that individual full access to river put in/take out, bath house, and other complimentary services that the campground provides. This day pass runs from time of purchase through till dark. Purchasing a day pass does NOT equate to 24-hour full access pass. I.E. If you purchase a day pass at 10am during the day, you may stay until it gets dark the SAME day, not until 10am the following day. Any attempt to purchase a day pass under the aforementioned conditions will be granted, however, an attempt to purchase a day pass at 8:30pm during the month of April, would would result in a denial of the day pass, as the sun has already set by that time during that time of the year. This is done to ensure that each guest who has dedicated their loyal patronage receives a level of privacy and intimacy within the campground that is commonly unavailable at other vacation escapes.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been to the Nolichucky Gorge Campground on a couple of occasions. Each time we had an amazing stay. The staff is excellent and accommodating. The views are amazing and it is only a short drive from the highway. I can't wait until my next visit!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank matt p
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My family has been to this campground 3 times in the last 5 years. I love driving in to this part of Tennessee from Nashville - as those Unakas mountains appear you feel like you are driving in to them and they are beautiful. When I arrive at the campground, the relaxation has already kicked in. We have taken our pop-up camper and we have rented the cabins on site. I've taken my kayak then just settled for old-fashioned inner tubes. We've been energetic and hiked the Appalachian trail at the back of the property and we've vegged out on a picnic table watching the river go by. It's a private campground and it's small so even if it was completely full, I don't think you would feel crowded. I think they also rent out tents on platforms which young families with kids would like but I like my coffee on the front porch in the morning so renting a cabin is just easier than pulling the pop-up. The cabins are comfortable.

The best day so far has been taking an inner tube up the trail by the river to a little sandy/rocky beach - you plant it on the tube and float back down to the campground where you get out and walk back the up the trail and do it all over again. That trip we had a big group and it was total F-U-N. Float beverages are optional. I would recommend water shoes of some sort.

We try to make it when we have a 3 day weekend and I always want more - if you have an extra day - make the trip to Beauty Spot - it's on the top of a mountain where the AT goes through. There are quite a few good hikes in close proximity if you want - if not, I went ahead and left my inner tubes for the next trip - tell Rick I said you could borrow them and go float. It's very peaceful if you are looking for easy going/ low key downtime, it's a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LMNash2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Amazing location right on the river w great views of the surrounding mountains. Super convenient access to the river and hiking. Far enough off the beaten path that you feel more remote than you actually are, but only 5 min from Erwin. One of my favorite places!

• Stayed: September 2013