“Impacting and devistating”

Civil War and Plantation Tour from Nashville
Ranked #4 of 67 things to do in Franklin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Carter House was built around 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter. By the time of the Civil War it was a large agricultural operation. In the years leading up to the Civil War nearly thirty slaves lived and worked on the farm. The Carter home and property was consumed by the Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864. One of the Carter sons was mortally wounded during the terrible fighting and died in the house two days after the battle. House tours and battlefield tours are provided daily and 360 days a year.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have nothing but good to say about the Carter House tour. Our tour guide (sorry, should have payed attention to his name) did a great job telling the story of the Carter home and family, and it left me introspective as I looked up and down the street where the battle raged right around this home. I am sad for this family as they lost one of their own children in the battle. After the tour I noticed a young man who was part of the staff and I asked him a few questions on his perspectives on the battle. He was very honest and open with me and I truly appreciated his candor. He gave me even more to ponder. Thank you Carter House staff, you are amazing.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"basement"
in 98 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Loved the history and experience during our tour at Carter House. Also loved experiencing the downtown Franklin shopping and eateries right around the corner. Include this tour on
Your next trip to Nashville. You will NOT be disappointed!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Chancing upon this civil war battlefield after a visit to Nashville proved to be one of the highlights of our two week USA holiday. We had a personalised tour led by Mike Eaton from the Carter House visitor centre, taking in the important events and sites around the Carter House during the battle. We honestly feel we now know more about this historical event than any other in the Civil War, such was the depth of detail we received. Thanks Mike. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Although our guide was certainly fascinated with this place, the overlong tour became bogged down and tedious with unnecessary and repetitive detail. Visit the Lotz House across the street first to understand why Carter House is important, or take a folding chair with you.

3  Thank sonrenarddoux
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This tour was purchased as part of a "Civil War and Plantations" package out of Nashville. This was the first stop; afterwards the Lotz House and the Carnton Plantation. These three houses had the Civil War battle of Franklin, TN happen literally in their back yards. The tours of these three houses give a unique perspective on a Civil War battle, from the outlook and effects upon civilians caught in the battle through no fault of their own. The Carter House is unique as having the most bullet holes of any Civil War museum. The history of the family prior to, during, and after the battle was utterly fascinating and moving. Their survival of the battle in the root cellar was amazing. Our tour guide, Randy, was passionate and extremely knowledgeable about the house, the battle, and the Carter family. He was beyond excellent.

I would not recommend this 1-hour tour for young children only because there is a lot of quiet standing and listening to the tour guide. My wife and I were both very moved by the whole event and the new knowledge of how many men died in such a short time in this severe and little-known battle of the Civil War. Simply can't say enough good things about the whole tour package. Worth much more than the price of admission.