“Real Western-Style Mexican!”
Review of Sopapillas

Sopapillas
Reserve with OpenTable
Sopapillas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 379 Restaurants in Franklin
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin rd
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I grew up in Colorado and lived in Arizona for 11 years before first moving to Jacksonville, FL then Nashville. Good Mexican food in Jax was extremely hard to come by. We were delighted to discover a multitude of Mexican food options in Nashville. Meaning, of the same kind of caliber and taste of food we grew up with in CO and AZ. We think Sopapillas comes closest to nailing it!!!

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 instead of a 4 is the price...it's a little steep. However, we gladly pay it. The food has personality and flavor. (Their salsa can have a BITE which my husband loves!)

I've read some of the other reviews about the service. Sad some have encountered such negative experiences on that front. We've only had wonderful, attentive service.

And let's talk about it's namesake...the sopapillas. They're included with every meal and aren't the lame chip-like nacho crunchy things many Mex restaurants in the South call sopapillas and offer for dessert. Nope. These are the bona fide real deal puffy, rip them open and pour honey into their steamy cavity kind of sopapillas. YUM!!!!

I'm always torn deciding between their Tres Enchiladas, Stuffed Burrito, and green chile cheeseburger. Haven't gone wrong with any! My girlfriends always like their margaritas. I can't drink tequila but have had their mojito, which was perfectly wonderful.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

It pains me to say anything negative about Sopapillas since the food is our favorite in town. However, we have had one too many visits with bad service, and the last one just topped it off. We hate to see a great restaurant with such potential allow such behavior from the waitstaff to continue. In general, we are very low-maintenance diners and don't linger very long after our meal on a busy weekend night. Tonight was no exception; yet, our waiter rushed us from the moment we sat down. We ordered, after asking for an extra minute or two, within four minutes of being seated. Other than filling our drinks we only asked for one item during our meal. He paced around our table, clearing any dish or fork he could during our dinner. As soon as we took our last bite of food he asked if we were ready for the check~NO sopapillas were offered. My husband asked for them when our waiter returned to pick up with check. He returned with a basket of sopapillas with no honey and disappeared. We asked the table next to us for honey. Before we could finish he peered over the booth and asked if we needed anything else! He did everything but escort us out the door. We were seated for 40 minutes.

We had no intention of lingering for any length of time, but we felt like we could not even enjoy our dinner. This waiter clearly wanted to turn the table. It seemed like others around us were experiencing the same thing. As we left the restaurant there were only a few parties waiting. I hope the management at Sopapillas addresses this problem.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have been dining here for over 3 years, and both the restaurant and bar offer excellent service If you are a single or couple, then simply eat at the bar. They will take great care of you, and you have the same excellent service as received in the dining area. Happy hour is a very good value; including local micro-brews.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

On a beautiful fall Saturday afternoon, I met a friend for drinks and appetizers in the bar to watch SEC football. I'm thrilled the food and drinks were good as the Vols lost again...

We shared the mini chimichangas (beef and chicken combo) which were just perfectly fried and seasoned. They came with a great salsa and sour cream. We also shared the Fish Tacos. I was filled up from the appetizer so he ate most of them but again they were great.

Our bartender talked with us about all the specialty tequilas they had in the bar. During the week they have excellent drink specials and Thursday is ladies night.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I heard good things about Sopapillas and decided to give it a try for lunch yesterday. The restaurant is in a good location and it has a good atmosphere. The waitress was very good and friendly. The salsa (lacked flavor that I expect from salsa) was o.k. and the chips were not to my taste (they were quite thick and did not seem to be fresh). The food was brought out quickly and it was very hot and the presentation was great. I got the stuffed chicken sopapilla and it was ok....maybe good?? I do think for the taste and quality of food it was over priced for lunch. Just for me... meal, soda and tip was $20. Would I go back or recommend it ? Yes, I believe I will give it another try and for sure order something different.