“A Slice of the Civil War.”
Review of Lotz House Museum

Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Franklin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The compelling story of the times, the family, and the fine antiques of the Civil War era.The Lotz House, which has been on the National Historic Register since 1976, is located in the heart of downtown historic Franklin, Tennessee, at “the epicenter” of the Battle of Franklin, which was a pivotal battle of the Civil War on November 30, 1864. Join us as we step back into Civil War history.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A visit to the Lotz House in downtown Franklin, Tennessee was an unexpected up-close and personal view of the Civil War. Unlike many old home tours, the Lotz House actually lets you get in the rooms behind the ropes and examine the home and their antique collections.

Our guide was very knowledgeable about the Lotz family and their story as well as the antique furniture and paintings in the house.

I would recommend a visit to the Lotz House if you want to know more about the Battle of Franklin, the Civil War and life in the south during the mid 1800's.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,581)
All reviews
in 42 reviews
"well worth the visit"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our tour guide, Sam, was young and scholarly. He had answers for every question, was very considerate, and was extremely knowledgeable. In spite of the fact that few of the museum's artifacts originate with the Lotz family, the collection has been carefully selected to represent the period. Lotz's experience during the Battle of Franklin and his family's ensuing decisions make an inspiring narrative.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

When my family comes to town, I love playing tourist with them and the Lotz House is well worth the time and the admission is not expensive compared to other attractions in Middle TN. Our tour guise was Robert and he was absolutely fantastic! the detail he was able to convey and the way he made you understand the tragedy that happened in the home and on the grounds was astounding.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My tour guide Robert was amazing. He and I were able to chat a bit before the tour started and he shared many things about the Lotz home and the battle that raged around it. When the tour started I was given a tour of the home, and each room was fascinating. What I was most amazed by in all that I saw, were the items that were in the museum, particularly the very tiny Bible that would have been carried with a soldier in his pocket. I can't even image how those tiny tiny bibles could even be printed, let alone read. Very surprising!

2  Thank Bobbi W