“"Swanky's"? More like "SKANKY'S" based on the food & service!”
Review of Swanky's Taco Shop

Swanky's Taco Shop
Ranked #19 of 102 Restaurants in Germantown
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: In 2004, an idea to combine the atmosphere and service of upscale restaurants with the pricing and convenience of fast-casual dining blossomed into what is now Swanky’s Taco Shop. And since burritos and tacos just are not the same without a margarita or a beer, Swanky’s boasts a full bar to better serve customers and to create a more social dining atmosphere.
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant based on good reviews. I am not sure what others are eating, but it cannot be from this place.

First of all, the service was terrible. I ordered the dip sampler and Latin wontons. My husband got 3 hard tacos. It was not mentioned until I got ready to pay that they were out of mango salsa - the very reason I ordered what I did for dinner. No apology or anything, just "we will double up on another dip, which one do you want?" I didn't want any other dip, but I wasn't offered the chance to order anything else and the register had been rung up by then.

We made it to the tables and the stuff looked icky. One bite of the ' Latin wonton ' was all it took for me. They were so overcooked and swimming in oil. The cheese was obliterated by the cooking. Terrible. The queso, if it can be called that, was more of a sauce. Real queso will thicken as it cools. This was thin and shiny. Tasted horrible. The pico de gallo had no flavor. For all of the OVER salting they did on everything else, you would think they could have spared a bit for the pico. But at least it was fresh.

My husband had to go back to the counter TWICE for his chips and then his salsa. He shouldn't have bothered with the salsa. Worst salsa I have ever tasted or seen. It was dark red and looked like tomato paste. I tasted his shredded beef taco and it was so salty that he couldn't eat it. He said the pork one was almost as bad. The chicken one was the only edible one of the trio. Only barely.

My guacamole was good and the garlic cream sauce that came with the wontons was okay. The fact that they fry their stuff in 100% canola oil is great and was the draw for us. Too many places use soybean (vegetable) oil. These were the only positives I can give them in this fiasco of a dinner.

I will never go back to this or any Swanky's. No one ever checked on us and it was apparent that we were unhappy. The uneaten food left on our tray should have been a clue. I don't think they care.

I don't understand how this place gets good ratings or return customers. It was packed and food was awful. It is line service and the staff are indifferent to rude. Maybe if we drank alcohol it would seem better because the bartender was at least polite for soft drink refills.

The atmosphere is also very odd. The clientele is like being on the set of something akin to Stepford Wives. Very cookie-cutter, very much middle aged Caucasian folks trying (and failing) to seem "hip & cool". That is coming from a 40-something, Caucasian mom herself.

All and all it was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. I am actually hoping I won't be ill tonight from the one icky wonton I ate. We wasted $27 only to learn where NOT to return to. Be forewarned and don't be fooled by so called good ratings.

SKANKY'S!

2  Thank HinagikuK

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I love this place for both lunch or happy hour. Shrimp and Fish tacos are great, so are the chips! All served with a great margarita.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

If you like made to order fresh tacos or taco bowls with some serious flavor in a causal atmosphere this is your place. I stop anytime I am in the area as they make food that is seriously delicious! Take my word for it and stop in and feed your taste buds something fresh you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Gregariously_Fun
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was in town on business and was told I had to try this place. I’m glad I did. I made sure to go back before I left town. Great food and great service! Wish we had one back home!

1  Thank ibnahmed06
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Swanky's is probably the best Taco's in town! Super delicious and juicy, I had the taco filling in hard shell tacos. MMMM, GOOD! I can't wait to get back to Swanky's for a great meal!!

1  Thank Ssfowler82