“Great Check-In Staff..... Extremely SMELLY 2nd floor!”
Review of Courtyard Jackson

Courtyard Jackson
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was amazed at how friendly the staff was upon check-in. They were helpful in all aspects. Although there was a key issue, I was understanding and it was resolved before my 3 day stay was over. It could have been difficult had my husband not left early because of a family emergency (one key for 2 people going separate directions could have been a scheduling nightmare). BUT, that was all well and good.

My room... The carpets desperately needed cleaning. There were stains in several places. There was also some type of stain on the iHome clock radio... so much so that I didn't want to touch it, though it was a dry stain. The bathroom was very clean and in great order - very spacious! The couch looked very loved but clean.

I don't understand putting the fridge and coffee maker into a closed cabinet. One would think that this will make the fridge overheat and cease working sooner than later. Also, one has to open both bottom doors to get into the fridge which is awfully cumbersome when you have an arm full of items. Also, the doors should, one would think, remain open while making coffee and that would have made getting around that big cabinet awkward. Overall, not a great design concept, but the roll-out table = genius!!!

The only real complaint was the smell of the second floor hallway. (My room smelled of deodorizer fairly strongly, but not annoyingly so.) The hallway smelled like a combination of old dirty soured cloth diapers and collard greens cooking. It seemed to be all over the entire hallway and could have been coming from the janitor's closet. It COULD be really dirty mop water or a souring mop, but to make a smell that bad you would need to have about 10 dirty/moldy mops and a big bucket of mop water that had been sitting around for weeks/months. The smell was very obnoxious. I did mention it to the staff upon leaving just so that they were aware of the problem. I also asked one of the House Cleaning Staff if she knew what the smell was, and she seemed to think it may be mold growing in the walls. This made me really scared to stay here in the future. I probably would if the case arose, though, but I would want to try a different floor. I don't travel to Jackson, TN very often.

As is par for the course for me, my last night had junior high boys all running up and down the hallways, yelling to one another, talking loudly and slamming doors. I mentioned my family emergency above, luckily I was up late enough to put up with it until they went to bed (baseball players). Had I been trying to go to sleep, I would have been quite annoyed. I don't know how to address this other than calling the front desk, but maybe letting the coaches/families know when they check in that loud, obnoxious behavior inside the hotel will not be tolerated and that there are other Business Guests who will not appreciate loud guests in the evenings. Parents should also realize that the entire hotel is not full of baseball players and that there are professional people staying there who NEED sleep even on the weekends.

Thanks, Janne Zaccagnino

Room Tip: Not being near the elevators is usually a good choice as far as noise is concerned, but next door to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Courtyardtn, General Manager at Courtyard Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Ms. Zaccagnino,

I truly appreciate all the comments and suggestions! Everything we do is aimed at providing an excellent experience for each of our guest and I do apologize that we did not provide this to you during your stay with us.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding our Front Desk staff. I am glad that you enjoyed the rollout desk and please know that your comments regarding the fridge and coffee maker will be forward to Marriott to review regarding current brand standard.

I also apologize for the odor you experienced. We are, and have been, working with JEA (Jackson Energy Authority) to determine why we get this smell. Our housekeeper you spoke with had not been briefed on this situation and her comment regarding mold was untrue and inappropriate. Please be assured this smell is not a result of mold, of which we do not have.

We do, on occasion, have guests in our hotel which have a difficult time honoring our quite hours. I apologize that you were disturbed by other guests. We do require teams to sign a Hotel Respect Policy upon check-in in an attempt to ensure our other guests are not disturbed. When we are made aware of noise please be assured we do address the situation.

We will be reaching out to you so that we may discuss your stay further. I would hope that,
if you find yourself back in the area, you would allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence. You can contact us at (731)422-1818, or reach me anytime at lreskey@vistahost.net. The Courtyard Team looks forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Thanks to all Courtyard Jackson team, who have attend us very kindly. Special thanks to Via, bar attendant, for the conversation, tips about the beverages and for making our stay more plesant. Certanly I'll take the same hotel in the next visit

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Courtyardtn, General Manager at Courtyard Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your stay with the Courtyard Jackson was enjoyable.

Thank you!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Cornelius did an awesome job taking care of us. He went the extra mile by helping us scan a very important form that allowed us to submit it before the deadline. Cornelius has excellent people skills. He is an asset to Marriott.

We all slept well. Mattress and pillows were excellent.

Valdez Family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I truly appreciate the wonderful comments! Everything we do is aimed at providing excellent service and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay!

if you find yourself back in the area, please do not hesitate to let us know when you're returning. You can contact us at (731)422-1818, or reach me anytime at lreskey@vistahost.net. The Courtyard Team looks forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stay at Courtyard Marriott's all over the south for work! They have caused me to be very picky, they set the bar high. But THIS LOCATION IN JACKSON, TN takes the cake. The staff was amazing which made my entire weekend fantastic. Thank you to everyone at Courtyard Jackson, TN.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Courtyardtn, General Manager at Courtyard Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Oh, to remember the days when the first Courtyards popped up around the USA... A real restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to busy business people. A happy hour to allow the guests to meet, chat, and sometimes make new friends.

Today, the Marriott cleanliness still exists. But, sadly, the lack of what used to make traveling a bit easier, now turns me off. I would rather stay at a Fairfield or Hampton, have a quick breakfast while reading a courtesy newspaper and be on my way facing the day feeling mom's sendoff still exists.

Maybe the Marriott top brass spend too much time at the most expensive Marriott locations.

Hope someone is paying attention.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Get a room where the foot of the bed faces the TV. Otherwise whoever works at the desk cannot see t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
JC S, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

60TampaZ

Thank you so much for leaving your comments with us! I am so sorry the remolded Courtyard brand is not up to your standard. As we've received mixed opinions on the upgrade, everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with the best possible accommodations. If there's anything we might be able to do to earn your return and provide accommodations that would equate to mom's sendoff, please let me know. Contact me anytime at jshelley@vistahost.net. I truly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

While planning to meet family from two different parts of the country in Jackson, TN, we chose the Courtyard based on past experiences with this chain. It's location was perfect for us being just off the highway and near our rendezvous point. This facility is relatively new. It was very clean and we had a spacious room (king room) and a very comfortable bed. The room was pleasantly decorated and had a warm feeling to it. The staff were the best part of the stay. They were very helpful and courteous - always a "hello" in the hallways.

My only complaint is that there was no complimentary breakfast, an amenity I was used to when I frequently travelled on business. Simple amenities have also disappeared like complimentary coffee all day. I booked this chain hotel, in part, because of these amenities. I don't know if this is due to corporate or local policy, but it would have been a nice feature. Even though the hotel served breakfast for a price, we went to a local restaurant for breakfast mainly based on value.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
JC S, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

physicsgeek

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments with Trip Advisor. I am so delighted our staff was able to provide you a warm environment during your visit. We strive to maintain a positive and welcoming culture.

I do apologize for the inconvenience of not offering a complimentary breakfast. As the Courtyard brand has recently begun to undergo a makeover, the brand now offers an al carte menu with competitive pricing for the convenience of our guests.

We'd love the opportunity to serve you again. If there's anything we might be able to do to earn your total satisfaction, please do not hesitate to let us know. Contact us at (731)422.1818, or you can reach me directly at jcvistahost@gmail.com.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

LaCynthia, Jay, and Cornelius showed my family and I the best hospitality I've experienced in a long time. Everyone made sure we were taken care of no matter what we need use of the business center, food, etc. I also had one of the best caramel macchiatto's.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Jasmine L

I truly appreciate the wonderful comments! Everything we do is aimed at providing excellent service and I am very glad that you enjoyed our team members.