“Just Plain Bad”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Jackson
Apache Junction, Arizona
“Just Plain Bad”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stopped because the hotel had a resturant and lounge, big mistake. There were bugs on the inside of the windows, which I sprayed with bug killer. The towels were small and worn out, there was no coffee pot, no alarm clock and an ironing board but no iron. Almost everyone, including the bartender, in the lounge were smoking. The breakfast bar is a joke and the coffee was undrinkable - I poured it out. In short, do yourself a favor and KEEP DRIVING!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Dead bugs in drawers. Stains on carpet and furniture. Pubic hairs on the shampoo packets! Phone number on mirror. Hole in wall (bug door?). TV circa 1992. OMG I will never pass up a $90 Comfort Inn again! Although staff very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013

Travellers are raving about these Jackson hotels

California
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed here in August. As most stated earlier, the lady at the front desk was charming, friendly, and the lobby looked clean. I was driving from Los Angeles to Montreal Canada. This was almost my mid point. Of all the hotels I stayed in on my 8 day journey, this was by far the worst. Once you get into your room, you'd see why. Myself, like others, was just to tired to look further. The 1st room I got was next to a live in family (I think). Noisy. So I trudged back and got another room, away from the desk and facing the side parking. Quieter, but man, was it filthy. I though, OK I can do this. I brought my luggage in, put it on the broken table top desk. Sat on the bed and was almost swallowed by it. Peeled off the top blanket and immediatly washed my hands. I've slept in places all around the world, mostly low budget, but this is America, you'd expect a little cleanliness. My feet stuck to the carpet, so I washed them and put my sandals back on. They never came off. The bedspread have what looked like washed blood drops on it. That was it. I went back to the truck, adn got my own sleeping bag and pillows. Slept on that for the minimum I needed to get back on the road, which was not fast enough. Horrible experience. Beware, and if you really really need to, ask to see the room first, then you'll know you were warned.

Room Tip: rooms away from the bar. Ask to check the room first and leave your shoes on.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Marc56
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 10 April 2013

PLEASE read the Bad reviews they are right! The worst place We have ever stayed in our clean NEW white socks were BLACK ON THE BOTTOM! everything the bad reviews say were right on We would never stay there again better off sleeping in you car! The place looks great from the outside an lobby was great, what a shock!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Let me start by saying that we in no way were expecting a fancy room. I don't care if the furnishings are old as dirt as long as things are clean! We booked 2 rooms at this place through my smart phone while driving from Gatlinberg to Oklahoma City (home) We were very tired and had three kids ready to get out of the car. I booked a room for my husband and I and our kids, and another room for my parents. We booked through hotels.com and it had a 3 out of 5 customer rating so we thought for the $36 price this was a real bargain! I always read Trip Advisor reviews (even have the app) but we were so tired that I didn't this time.....BIG MISTAKE!! The lobby was very decieving because it was very nice and clean. The lady checking in ahead of us was so drunk she could barely stand up. There were several of the like outside also. This hotel is connected to a nightclub so the ppl from there were all in the parking lot. Trying to be positive, I was like " at least they are not driving!" We got to our room and it was Freezing (it was 40 degrees outside) I wish I could upload the pics we took in our room! Dirty towels on sink, filthy bathroom floor. We did not take showers! We had some blankets in the car so we took the bedspreads off the bed and put our own blankets down and used our own pillows. I would not let my kids take off their shoes! We put a suitcase on the little dining table and the whole table top flipped off! My husband said, " let's not think about what has been taking place on this table!" GROSS! Our 2 rooms were in a breezeway beside the stairs and there were ppl out there all night! Crouched in the corner drinking, making out on the stairs, running and being loud. We slept with the chair and table up against our door and when I checked on my parents, they were doing the same! My husband slept fully clothed with his boots on and a 9mm under the pillow. We got out of there as soon as the drivers had some rest. We noticed in the morning that there were 2 more seedy little nightclubs behind the parking the lot. The hotel cannot help this, but the hotel property had a walk through gate in their chain link fence from the nightclubs parking lot to The Old Hickory parking lot! We stayed in Jackson because everyone said that Memphis was pretty dangerous. I don't know how it could have been any worse! Keep driving! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Misti B
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Absolutely the worst place we've ever stayed in!!!!!!!!!

The entire place smelled musty......sheets were not even washed!! ......towels were stained & gross looking,.....the whole place smelled like smoke everywhere (and this was supposed to be a non-smoking room). When heat was cut on, cigarette smoke odors came blowing out into the room.

The toilet was stopped up ...... the jets did not work in the tub....etc, etc, etc.

My husband & I spent literally only 2 hrs in room and we were so physically nauseated due to the overwhelming stench in the place that we packed and left at 2:30am after checking in at 12:30 am .....

KEY TO NOTE: For those of you reserving online ....
We reserved this room through Exp****; however neither Exp***, nor Old Hickory Inn would make this right & refund our money --- even after sharing in detail with both parties what our experience was before leaving the Hotel. (We were offered another room, but it was clear that the standard(s) of the place were ghetto / to non-existent.

So if the reviews here haven't scared you away .............. know that if you too have a horrible experience w/them, the Mgr of Old Hickory Inn will blow you off just as nonchalantly as Exp****

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Elia N
Fayetteville
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The Old Hickory Inn in Jackson, TN was built as a Ramada Inn during the 1950's and is built with quality building products, class, and charm. The lobby is gorgeous, especially when decorated for Christmas as was during my stay. The staff as wonderful and the hot continental breakfast was wonderful. I'm perplexed by the poor reviews. I suspect people are used to cheap building materials and shoddy construction. Please ignore them, stay at the Old Hickory, and enjoy the charm!

Room Tip: I enjoy room 101, which is located right next to the entrance, which was wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends