“Good Value for the Money”

BEST WESTERN Johnson City Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“Good Value for the Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I was a little hesitant to roll the dice on this hotel while in Johnson City with my 8 year old daughter after reading the mixed reviews here on Tripadvisor . We arrived about 10pm with no reservations booked in advance due to uncertain scheduling during our day. The lady working the front desk was first-rate in listening to my concerns about the reviews and assuring me that the facility has been under new ownership since this past August and the remodeling was taking a little time to complete due to the extensive work being done but that we would be pleased with our stay. At any rate, we were assigned an interior access room--appeared to be freshly remodeled--and had NO issues to speak of with our visit.

The lobby was clean and cared for and the staff was first-rate in making us feel welcome and appreciated.

The hall to the room was a little warm and 'aged' feeling but not unlike most hotel hallways.

Our room was clean and comfortable. The beds were "OK"--pillows very good--sheets clean--bathroom was above average cleanliness for a hotel (not 100% to my standards but I am OCD about my bathroom @ home anyway)--TV, hair dryer, fridge, etc. all worked fine. Things were quiet and we had a good night of sleep!

Breakfast the next morning was better than average for a complimentary breakfast. There was a nice selection of hot foods, cereals, fruit, etc. and again the staff working the food line was very nice.

The only 'surprise' was that the pool was out of commission either due to the renovations and/or our visit being in late May. Not a big deal to me but my daughter was a little disappointed.

Checkout was quick and easy. I had no regrets with our decision to stay @ the Best Western in Johnson City.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Me_in_BC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Stayed for 1 night for business. The check in was great, fast and friendly. Room was toward the back of the hotel with a good entrance near the elevators. Rooms were clean but needed some updating. This hotel has been there for a long time, I stayed there when it was under a different name in the early 90's.Was not dissappointed and will stay again. First ever stay at a Best Western

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Granger, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel & Conference Center on a recent family vacation through Tennessee. It was close to our whitewater rafting site, so it seemed a good choice. The room we had was very large, but had cobwebs in some of the corners. The seal on the bottom of the outside door was torn, so bugs could just wander on in! The bathroom was one notch shy of disgusting! The floor and tub were rusty and stained. The toilet rocked on it's floor seal. The bathroom vent went straight through to another room, that we could hear/see the television through. The only saving grace of the hotel was the breakfast buffet. There was enough variety and things were pretty tasty.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank the5leidys
Summithotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Johnson City Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Johnson City Hotel & Confernece Center. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss the changes we have taking place at our property. We are currently under a complete renovation and I am confident that we will not only meet your expectations on any future visits to our property but will exceed them as well. We are excited about the updates that are being made in order to get us ready to be a Best Western Plus.

Travellers are raving about these Johnson City hotels

Newport News
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

There were three reasons I liked going to this Best Western: great location, great breakfast and free internet in the rooms. This time they got one out of three. The location is still great. The breakfast is not nearly as nice as it use to be. (See my review from Jan 2, 2009.) The breakfast is now typical and nothing special. Also I could not get the internet in my room. I had to take my computer down to the office area to use it. (A worker told me that the coverage is now splotchy.) After staying for a few days I finally realize what was really missing was professional management. Many things were just not correct that should have be discovered and fixed by a simple walk through by someone who cared. Examples: ice on the handicap ramp days after the snow storm (duh!), overheated (unventilated) business center, cold air blasting around the elevator doors, damaged furniture, half a breakfast when the cook did not show up (the roads were very clear), unlocked side exits, etc., etc. Clearly the hotel has gone down a solid notch since I visited last about a year ago. I would now rate it down to three stars.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Badge958
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

We booked two rooms in the "tower" which is supposed to be their better rooms. These are indoor access. The rooms were adequate - clean, no smell (a BIG point for me), fairly spacious, plenty of towels, but extras were very basic (single cup coffee maker, no tea bags, fridge, no microwave, few of the little extras that make an impression) There was a hair dryer, iron and ironing board. There was a safe in the room for valuables which they charge for unless you tell them you did not use it. I think this is a sneaky way to get a couple of extra dollars! We had a hard time regulating the temperature in our room. We were told that the windows had been replaced on the third floor...well they must have forgotten to caulk them because we had as much cold air coming in as we did warm air coming from the heating unit! We had to lay our daughter's knit scarf across the air vent in the unit to help keep icy cold air from coming in. We were eventually able to regulate the heater and did sleep comfortably. However, our parents were never able to get their unit to work correctly and spent a very uncomfortable night...one minute too cold, next minute too hot.

A server was out, so I had a terrible time trying to get on-line. I eventually had to go to the lobby, where I was able to get on-line, to get some business done. I had called to the desk when I first had problems and the clerk had no idea how to help me. I was not offered any compensation for the trouble. (Then again, I didn't make a big deal of it) Breakfast was just a little better than a basic continental style. There were cold boiled eggs (no way to know how old they were) cereal, mix for waffles, muffins, danishes, bread, hot water for instant grits and oatmeal, apples and oranges. The apple juice was fermented so we had to bring that to the attention of the attendant as that is what my daughter wanted to drink. The orange juice was also questionable There was no butter/margarine the first morning until we asked several times. The attendant finally found a few little packets for us. The next morning we had the same problem! After we inquired several times, she did find an entire box of margarine packets...after my father-in-law had gotten through his grits without it. It would have been nice to have other friut options.

We used this hotel 3 1/2 years ago to host my son's wedding rehearsal dinner and had booked more than 10 rooms. We were very happy with the quality of the rooms and the services that we had at that time. This is why we chose to stay here on our return visit for my son's first baby! I am sorry to say that the quality has gone down considerably. On the other hand, after inquiring about other hotels in the area, this is still a good deal, for the most part.. The price was more reasonable for our family as we are on a budget.

If price is not your first priority, you might consider looking elswhere. If price is very important, this is a much better option that some of the others in town that are lower in price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

First room assigned to me was lower level and had a door that opened to the outside. I would not have stayed there for that reason. However, the room was also dirty. The pillowcases were stained. The shower was moldy. There was dust all over the furniture. The beds were very noisy/uncomfortable. Moved to a second room inside. More secure, but still pretty nasty. I wouldn't stay here again if it were free.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business