“Always stay here!”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Greensboro, NC
“Always stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

When in town, we always stay here. It is perfect for a family of 4 (or less)...we get the king suite with whirlpool...the rooms are HUGE! Parents get the king bedroom with 2 closets and hot tub, kids get the separate living room and sleep on the pull out couch...it is cheaper than getting 2 rooms and extremely spacious. Cookies at check-in, breakfast is free and good; seasonal outdoor pool...such a great deal and near lots of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank tolbert89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

I had a very nasty experience with hotel.com when booking this hotel in rural TN. I was looking for a Suite of rooms (bedroom and, for privacy, a separate sitting room with a pull out bed. (We were going with another couple, friends but not all that friendly). I paid a premium price for a "King" suite, $159 per night. On arriving, we had a single room, one bed and a pull-out couch on the side. The normal price for this room was $119, with peak rate of $124. (Friends at the same hotel at the same dates negotiated a price of $99 for a room with two proper double beds). When I complained to the manager, she immediately said "I cannot talk to you. There are legal reasons." She meant it--being curt to the point of rudeness, refusing when I asked for something simple--a copy of the bill. When I asked for a better room, there wasn't one of the type I thought I was booking. You must contact your booking agency only. When I tried, I got no response at all. This was blatant price gouging.

This sounds like an almost identical experience to that described in a review by MHammondtree. The hotel itself was otherwise ok and the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Don't use this booking service. Call the hotel directly.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob20814
GeneralManagerTN264, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
As I was more than happy to discuss with you while you were here at our property we unfortunately had no other rooms available to switch you from the type that you reserved on the 3rd party web site. We have a contractual agreement with these online travel agencies that prohibits us from disclosing rates that are negotiated with these online booking services. If you are dissatisfied with the room type that you reserved through the 3rd party site you will have to contact them concerning any information having to do with the rate you paid them. We are more than happy that you choose to stay with our property and glad that you enjoyed your experience otherwise and hope to see you back here again very soon.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I have stayed here numerous times and each time have recieved wonderful service. I was greeted by name each time at check in and acknowledged by name at check out. The staff here are friendly and made me feel at home, I would usually check in late at night and the night person Bob always made me feel welcomed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the area for a restful stay. Keep up the great work everyone and to you too Bob - night auditor.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mzshire2009
GeneralManagerTN264, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us. We strive for excellence every day and it is so great to hear we have accomplished that goal. Looking forward to accommodating you again during your future travels to Johnson City!
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Took my mother out of town to visit family and stayed in a handicap accessible room. Very spacious. Only 1 rail in tub for Mom and beds a little high, but clean and comfortable, pretty pool area, although we didn't use as it was sooo hot. The breakfast was exceptional in variety for a similar priced room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank earlycse
I am so glad you and your mother enjoyed your stay with us. I hope in the future you will allow us to accommodate you again. Perhaps on your next visit request the handicap room with the roll in shower as it has more accessible bars to utilize.
GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

The staff is very unwilling to help fix any problems. They messed our reservation up and then promised they would switch our room. They finally told us they didn't have anything available and wouldn't give us a discount. We had four people in a King sized room (Three adults and one child, which to my understanding exceeds code.) Our toilet stopped up twice. The door wouldn't lock and then we found roaches.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MHammontree
I am so sorry you felt you were not accommodated while you were visiting. I see you posted this review before you checked out of our hotel. Indeed my staff did offer to let you and your family change rooms and the offer was declined as the declination was noted on your reservation in our system. To address your issue with codes: per Choice Hotels our King Suites Max Room Occupancy 4 persons / 5 persons with extra bed . We do have plungers available for guest use as well as an accommodating staff that would have been happy to plunge your toilet for you durning your stay. We did not find any roaches or other bugs in your room upon your checkout as the room was throughly inspected by a manager. And as you know on 7-22-11 you were given a full refund for the 4 night stay. Again I am sorry you felt unaccommodated durning your stay and sincerely hope you will allow us to accommodate you and your family the next time you visit Johnson City.
Belfry, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

i was charged a smoking fee,and thats funny i dont even smoke.jus took it right out of my checking account,without any warning.i cant even get my money back till tuesday this is bull

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
GeneralManagerTN264, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
As you know we had already refunded the smoking fee imposed upon you per your previous request. While we are not certain how the smoke odor came to be in that room, we pride our selves on a clean 100% non smoking hotel. We are sorry if we came to the conclusion that the smoke odor was your responsibility since the room had a smoke odor to it after your departure. We strive to offer a wonderful guest experience for all of our guests and look forward to accommodating them again in the future with a clean fresh smoke free environment. I hope that this incident does deter you from giving us another opportunity to accommodate you and your family. Tammy Havens General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

This was our 4th stay at this Comfort Suites. A++ for consistency.

Rooms- Large King Suite is very spacious. Micro/Fridge plus a cabinet to put extras in. A real closet, a couch hide -a- bed, and a desk. Beds were very comfortable. We did check for bed bugs and happy to find NONE. Decor was good too. Weekday mornings the New York Times delivered outside our door.

Cleanliness- Found our room to be very clean. We always Llysol everything anyway plus wipe down tables and surfaces w/Clorx wipes. After wiping down with the wipe there was no residue on the wipe! (I was impressed) Most hotels there is. So hats off to Housekeeping. Carpet in high traffic areas was in fine shape too.

Breakfast- Large variety. Cereals, Oatmeal, pasteries, toast, bagels, yogurt, boiled eggs, coffee, milk, juice, hot choc, waffels, hot eggs, one day sausage, next day bacon, next day ham, biscuits & gravy, oranges, apples, grapefruit, muffins, and condiments. Becky the Breakfast Host is great. (In the evenings they serve cookies too)

Pool-Outdoor, small but kept clean.

Business Area- Best I've used. Computer Internet was fast. Area was comfortable and fax and copying was avaiable too.

Front Desk- Helpful, Professional but not super friendly, more business like.

Area- Across the street from Walmart w/gas pumps. Tons of restraunts- Logans, Golden Corral, Panera Bread, Alantana Bread, Barbritos, Chedders, Chilis, Wendy's, Subway, Asian, Mexican and more. Also a health food store. If you like frozen yogurt stop at Menchies (less than 1/2 mile away) they serve 12 flavors of frozen yogurt (free taste test) plus 40 toppings you serve yourself and pay $.44 cents an ounce. Peanutbutter is tasty. Lots of shops too.

Walking/Biking/Running- If you park at the Vitiman Shoppe (1/2 mile way) around the back is a concrete path. (follow the fence line) It goes futher than we could walk and we like to walk! There also is a Frisbee Golf park not far, batting cages too.

Cons- We were on the 2nd floor and the WIFI signal is weak. Only one sink in the bathroom and old style TV, not flatscreen. (Which all of these things we can live without) Just if there were any improvements to be made that's what I would say.

Thanks for a great stay.....as usual!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple