“Very Nice, Beautiful views of the Snow Covered Mountains”

Holiday Inn Express
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Would stay here again, and will.
Front desk and staff very Helpful.
Clean Room, neat. Nice Decor.
Served a Continental Breakfast, which we did not get, but it looked good.
We thought the bed was a little softer than we like, is the reason I did not give it an Excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front for the great Views...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cm_woods
Kathy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Glad to hear you enjoyed the view of our area. We hope to be able to accommodate your lodging needs again if you return to our beautiful area.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We are a family of seasoned travelers and have grown to truly appreciate those moments staff exceed expectations. T. and M. were fabulous and made or stay a comfortable one. From our arrival through departure the staff's commitment to courtesy and professionalism was obvious!.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael G

I want to thank you for the complimentary review and am glad to hear my staff is giving our guests professional and courteous service. We look forward to serving your lodging needs again if you return to Johnson City.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

ok - it's attractive from the outside - and even the inside - until we got to our room. Right away, my daughter screamed - a big bug (roach like but not a roach) on the pillow. We went to the front desk, showed the picture to the gentleman there, and he changed us from the third to a 2nd floor room. I didn't tell my wife and daughter - but there, on the 2nd floor, i found a dead spider on the wall. The next morning, in the bed, i found a dead bug. I don't believe it was a bed bug - as those are more reddish/brown and this was black. I'm sure they fumigate - but that was gross. Second issue - breakfast. All the yogurts were expired. We asked for new ones - the attendant just shrugged - basically, oh well. They didn't go find others. They didn't take them out of the fridge. I heard someone else complain as well. A person trained in customer service would have at least taken them away...a good hotel would have sent someone to a grocery store to buy more. This showed poor attention to detail. Once you see expired food, everything else is suspect. The hotel grounds, etc. are nice - but this place - bugs and expired food - how can one be impressed. As a platinum member who "wasted" points on my room, i expect a greater experienced/stay for my "loyalty" to the brand.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelManSouth
Kathy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

First i want to sincerely apologize for what happened during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and spare no expense to take care of issues that arise on a daily basis. I addressed the out-dated yogurt with my breakfast attendant, so this never happens again. No guest should feel their concerns are not being addressed and yes she should have removed them and got more. I did find out that our food vendor delivered them only 3 days prior to that morning and they already expired but this alerts us to always double check the dates and not assume once we get a new food order in that it is automatically well within the dates to use.
We do have a monthly pest control inspection and spray, but our area has been experiencing these stink bugs. We are told there is no pre-treatment to prevent them but we are taking steps to rid them from entering the building by inserting special mesh screens behind all our A/C units where we are told they are coming in from the outside.
We invite you to return to our hotel and give us another chance if you return to Johnson City. We value your comments and thank you for letting us know what needs to be corrected.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I've been teaching dance classes across the southeast as well as working film gigs over the past year staying in a wide variety of hotels in various cities. Hotels have been my home away from home. My stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Johnson City was three months ago in September, and the experience I had still stands out as the best hotel stay to date. I wanted to take a minute in my downtime to acknowledge what an incredible staff this location has, particulary the manager who's name was Kathy I recall. Not only did Kathy assist me with an ideal rate based on my needs, she also went out of her way to help empty out the conference room after I lost studio space due to a power outage at a local dance studio. If that wasn't enough, the hotel continued to go above and beyond. I was also in town to meet my boyfriend's parents for the first time. The staff was extremely inviting to my guests and even checked on us in the lobby making me feel more at ease. My room was also in pristene shape, which has definitely been a game of roulette in my hotel stays over the past year... I encourage anyone traveling to the tri-cities area to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Johnson City. The true definition of a home away from home. Thank you!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a jacuzzi suite and get an odd numbered room facing away from the main road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nora C
Kathy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank You so much for the wonderful review. I am so glad things worked out for your family and that my staff went above and beyond their roles to make your stay even more pleasant. I look forward to seeing you when you return to Johnson City.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Clean and affordable, decent sized and updated rooms. Free Wi Fi. One of the better HIE's I have stayed in. Free breakfast is OK with typical fare. TV was 37" with a lot of channels to choose from, not just the standard 1 news channel and 1 sport channel and 1 A & E type channel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg C
Kathy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank You for taking the time to write a response. We appreciate your feedback and take pride in our hotel and hard-working staff. We hope to be able to accomadate you again the next time you come to Johnson City.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We tried staying at another local hotel (Comfort Suites, Kingsport) to be closer to the Airport for a flight the next morning, but found a hypodermic needle tucked in the bedding. After listening to "I don't understand why you're so upset lady", we decided to go back to where we stayed for the past few nights -The Holiday Inn Express. We explained what happened and the front desk attendant was fabulous, just as they were in days prior, and provided an upgraded room and honored the previous nights rates.

This hotel has easy to access from I-26, and turns out it was closer to the airport than the other hotel (about 15 minutes). I cannot express enough how great our stay was here with the friendly staff and great service. The rooms were clean, smelled fresh, and very comfortable. We did not eat at the continental breakfast, but the guests we were with had nothing but good things to say about it. There is also a Waffle House (among other restaurants) just next door. It was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Let the front desk know what is important to you, so they can better accommodate you and help make y...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kathy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank You for taking the time to post a review. I am truly sorry for your problem with the other hotel. I am very glad to hear that my staff was able to accomadate you and be sensitive to your situation by your room upgrade and rate. We do strive for 100% guest satisfaction especially with our repeat customers. We hope to be able to take care of your travel accomadations again if you return to our area.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have written reviews about this Holiday Inn Express before and you can read them.
We have had issues with the internet service in the past at this location.
The last review I wrote prompted a response from the manager asking us to let them know if we returned to the area.
We made a reservation for a 2 room suite in September. We travel with an elderly family member and we always book a 2 room suite.
The reservationist would not give us a rate. She said we needed to come speak to the manager in person to negotiate the rate because of the Tripadvisor response I had received. She said the 2 room suite would indeed be reserved.
I received a confirmation but the it did not specify the 2 room suite. We called again and the reservationist said, don't worry, it's on hold, but you need to negotiate your rate with the manager.
We arrived at the hotel between 4-4:30. We went to the room and I could tell going down the hallway that this was not a 2 room suite.
My husband went back downstairs and guess what? No 2 room suites were available.
The reservationist on duty called the manager and tried to fix the situation. She told my husband that there was a certain employee that had been messing up reservations left and right.
They gave us an excellent rate but it is not what we booked so I went to the lobby, hopped on my laptop to see what was left in the area and guess what? As in my previous reviews, the internet was not working. (Yes, I had a code.)
Needless to say, I did find a 2 room suite at another hotel.
This situation was totally unexceptable and if you have an employee who is "messing" reservations or cannot figure out how to enter them into the computer, fire them, or resign them to another job.
The only reason I gave a rating of 2 was because of the reservationist on duty. She did try to correct the situation.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Kathy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about the problem you experienced when you arrived at our facility. I apologize for the mix-up in your reservation. I personally would like to speak to you and try to offer you another chance to make this right. If you come to this area again please ask for me ahead of time so that I can make your reservations myself and offer you a comfortable and relaxing stay. We strive for 100% satisfaction and take pride in our hotel and especially repeat customers. This situation was addressed and I hope we can offer you another chance to make this right.