“Lovely, especially if you're looking for something different from the usual chain restaurant fare”
Review of Bodega 105 - CLOSED

Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Phone # 423-232-0058
Reviewed 20 March 2014

It's hard to find an interesting locally-owned restaurant in Johnson City, and this is the best I've found in this area. You have a choice of more typical enchiladas and burritos or more adventurous meat, fish or vegetarian entrees. We both had the slow-roast pork with onions, beans, rice and plantains. The pork was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the accompaniments were generous and well-cooked. We ordered a carafe of house red and got far more than we had bargained for, and finished off with a gorgeous chocolate and guinness cake. We went on a Thursday night and it was very quiet; maybe it is busier on a weekend. All that for $55 and we were both stuffed! So different from the formulaic chain-restaurant food that is typical of this area. If I lived here, this would be my favorite restaurant.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Went to Bodega 105 on a Friday night with wife and teenage son. Promptly seated and there were maybe 5 other tables with guest. Not a big place so maybe 1/3 full. Duet were singing with guitar and they were OK, just after a bit it was too loud...music would have been better if it was background, not a concert. Wife and ordered Sangria and it felt watered down/cheap wine so I do not recommend...even at $3 per glass. We had an order of empanadas and they were good, the salsa was a bit to mild for us, but the chips were good. My wife ordered a chicken sandwich which was OK, son ordered more empanadas and I ordered the grilled steak and veggie dish and they were out, ordered tamales - out, ordered chili rellenos - out...at this point I was ready to leave, but wife calmed me down and I ordered a Cuban sandwich...I did not like, but at that point it could have been the best ever and I would have hated it. They waiter was attentive and friendly, but the menu issues, sangria and music made for a poor experience. I do not recommend.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

If you are tired of Italian, Barbecue and fast food, try food with a Cuban flair at Bodega 105. We went right about the time they opened on a nasty night so we pretty much had the place to ourselves until we were almost ready to leave when a few more people straggled in. It was hard to decide what to get. We started with guacamole and the wonderful chips that they make right there on site. I had a chicken dish and hubby had a pork dish--both came with beans and rice. The portions were so large I took most of the beans and rice home and ate them for lunch the following day. We shall have to return for the Sunday brunch. Nice to have something a little out of the ordinary close by. Décor is not fancy, but quite nice--comfortable and cozy. They serve alcohol so you can have a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

First off, I had no idea what to expect when I went in this place. I'd never had Cuban food before, and I assumed it would be pretty close to Mexican. Boy was I blown away. Yes, the food has some similarities to Mexican fare, but something about the spices and styles just make it, I don't know, cleaner. I always feel kind of dirty after eating Mexican food. Almost greasy even. But something about Cuban food just doesn't have that greasy feeling to it. The Ropa is awesome, and the Bodega Burrito is probably the best food I've ever had. All authentic and fresh. Plus the Sunday buffet is one of the best deals in town! Add all of that together with some live music, and you've got one of the best places in J.C. to eat. I just wish the area was a little less sketchy... :-/

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Brim, the owner and chef of Bodega 105 will go out of his way to fulfill your experience! As a native from Miami, the food rivals Molina's! Ropa Vejia is flavorful but light and fresh tasting. His mother's black bean recipe is straight from the old country. Dont let the outside of the building fool you. The inside is relaxing with a slightly upscale feel. The staff was friendly and genuine. If you dont see something on the menu - ASK! Brim made a special plate of plantains and Cuban coffe just for us. The Sunday Brunch is a great value.

1  Thank Bea P