“The Best Value In Chinese Food In Johnson City”
Review of Empire Buffet

Empire Buffet
Ranked #176 of 303 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Asheville, North Carolina
“The Best Value In Chinese Food In Johnson City”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I just do not understand some of the reviews that I read here on Empire Buffet. Johnson City, TN is a long ways from China Town in San Francisco. For American style chinese food it is pretty good. For the value it can't be beat, neither in Johnson City nor most anywhere else for that matter. It would be fair to say that there must be well over a hundred items on the buffet. I have eaten here many times over the years and the few times that I have found any problem with anything on the buffet the staff have immediately removed the offending dish, cooked another pan of it, and brought a plate of the fresh stuff to my table. This is not exactly what you would except to see at a dirt-cheap chinese buffet. The hibachi grill alone is worth the price of the buffet. I can not speak to the sushi as neither my wife nor I care for sushi. I personally have always found the restroom to be clean when I used it. I do not feel that you could possibly find, nor ask for, a more pleasant staff. I do believe that my wife and I have tried every chinese buffet in Johnson City and none can compare with Empire Buffet in terms of the variety of dishes and the value you get for your money. The only con to the restaurant is it is well aged. The booths are in definite need of recovering.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Thomas B

Monroe, Michigan
“Great choices, hot food . . . . will be back!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is one of the better Chinese buffets I have been to in quite some time and I travel a good deal which has given me the chance to try buffets in many areas. The food was hot and well stocked. The staff kept an eye on the options and kept the dishes filled as the patrons emptied them.

With choices that include American food, even picky kids will find something to interest them.

Overall, we were very satisfied with the choices and quality of the food at Empire Buffet and will be returning on a regular basis.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank SCTHer
Elizabethton, Tennessee
“We've found our new favorite buffet restaurant!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We went for the dinner buffet on a Saturday afternoon around 3:30, just before it got busy. Very good, fresh food, friendly staff and it was clean. We will go back soon!

• Visited December 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yuck”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

This place was aweful! My husband, son and I went apparently they only serve Todd fresh food during peak house definitely do not go here after or before because you will get left overs from 3 hours ago.

• Visited December 2012
Jonesborough
“Just not good anymore and dirty”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Though they have lots of choices, food is not that great. The temperature of the food is too low and the trays are not kept filled. Crab rangoon wasn't even close to what you can get at Asiana in Asheville - wish it wasn't over 1 and 1/2 hours away. The worst part were tears in the seating, cobwebs on the outside of the window which looked like it hadn't been washed all year. If these things are let go, I can imagine what might be let go in the kitchen. Yes, parking is fine but no prices listed. We went Saturday afternoon with friends at 4 p.m. and were charged over $56 not including tip for the 4 buffets, 3 sodas and 1 lemonade. I guess we will have to go back to Hibachi Grill in Johnson City next time or else take the drive to Asheville to Asiana.

• Visited August 2013