“Smoke Scented Room”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Smoke Scented Room”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The location is convenient, just off the interstate, right behind a Cracker Barrel and walking distance to Subway. There was definitely nothing special about the rooms, but nothing terrible, and it was the cheapest in the area. I paid about $80 for what seemed like it should have been a $60 room, but I don't know if there was some activity going on that week that had rates inflated or if that's just the going rate around there. Wi-fi was free and worked.

Not a lot to do in this area, but I needed to be here for work. Breakfast was decent (love any place with a waffle iron, as this one had). The milk was in an insulated container but not on ice or refrigerated, which seemed wrong to me. Also had the standard bagels, cereal, juices, etc.

The only issue I really had was that my room smelled like cigarette smoke, though it was a non-smoking room. I called the desk as soon as I checked in and told them so that I wouldn't be charged for the smoke scent. I let them know that I didn't want to bother with changing rooms, so I can't complain too much because they probably would have moved me if I wanted to. But when I get somewhere, I want the room to be right and not require my moving around. The desk clerk did come and spray my room with air freshener, which made my room smell like the freshener for about 30 minutes before it returned to the smoke smell. The desk clerk said she didn't smell the smoke scent, but I definitely did, and when I returned home my roommate asked if I'd been in a bar because I smelled smoky. The smoke smell seemed to be everywhere in the room... mattress, bedding, carpet, etc. Didn't seem like a one-time smoking incident.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
JIjohnsoncityTN, General Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear “Stephanie G,”
Please accept both my gratitude for your thorough review of our hotel, and my most sincere apologies regarding the smoke odor in the room. First, I would like to let you know that we did indeed address the room in which you stayed: it has been shampooed and cleaned top to bottom to remove any remnants of odor. Second, I am happy to tell you that we do now offer a full hot breakfast including yogurt, eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, hot and cold cereals, fresh fruits, juices and coffee, and of course, your specially noted, fresh made waffles. We do rotate the milk out during the course of breakfast so that it stays nice and cold for all the guests the entire length of the breakfast. Thank you for noting that concern in your review! I appreciate the time it took to put your thoughts in writing and hope you will consider allowing us to host your next visit to the Johnson City, TN area.

William Baumann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Nice place to stay, great beds and good service. Just off I-40 and with in miles to a lot of things to do. Customer service was very good. Beds were comfortable. Had a problem with my key card not working on the door, they sent the maintenance man right over to fix it. He was polite and got it fixed quickly. Had a very inviting pool, just wasn't open yet for this time of the year. Parking was very safe.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear “Robert B,”
I wanted to thank you for your great review of our hotel here in Johnson City, TN! I will pass your comments along to my maintenance staff. Please feel free to call directly to book your next visit to the area. Our pool will be open shortly for the season. Again, thank you for taking the time to submit your experience on Trip Advisor!
Safe Travels,

Knoxville, Iowa
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I had a great stay at this hotel. The man behind the desk was very nice and recommended a great place to eat. I do not like to make reservations cause I like to see a place before I stay there. The rooms here are very clean and the hot breakfast was awsome!! I will stay here again when I come thru this area.

Room Tip: call hotel directly for room rates
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
JIjohnsoncityTN, General Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear “john g”
I would like to extend my most sincere gratitude for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us here in Johnson City. It is a great pleasure to be able to see reviews of how our guests feel about their stays with us and a greater pleasure when those reviews are as positive as yours! We will all be looking forward to your next visit to the area and I hope we can impress you again with our dedication to cleanliness, our commitment to offering a great breakfast and our determination to provide excellent service to each guest!
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Overall, this hotel did the trick. It was clean, quiet, and the rooms have clearly been recently the updated. The only comment regarding the rooms is that the beds are FIRM (a friend of ours was staying in another room and reported the same thing). There was a stain on the carpet, I didn't think much of it, but my husband thought it was blood. I liked the room more than my husband. The complementary breakfast was excellent: multiple hot offerings. The outdoor pool area looked really nice, it was a shame we visited during the winter!

The only real shortcoming is the staff. It took forever to check in. I realize we got there during the switch from day to night staff, but we pre-paid (booked via Priceline)--we just needed a room key! I will say, both staff members were exceedingly kind and apologetic for the delay. Then, when we checked out, the woman at the front desk was rude. She told me how booking through the hotel would give me a better rate than Priceline. I told her how much I paid and she retorted, "well usually you get a better rate through the hotel, but you still have to pay membership for Priceline!" Obviously she doesn't understand how the website works (it's not membership based). Regardless, the cattiness was uncalled for. I was perfectly polite and had pre-paid in full.

I'd consider staying again, but I'd also evaluate the other options in the immediate area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank eightwednesday
JIjohnsoncityTN, General Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear “eightwednesday”
I would like to thank you for your thorough review of our hotel! It is always nice to receive feedback from our guests. Allow me first to apologize for both your slow service at check-in and for the cattiness you experienced from one of my staff members. Please rest assured that I will be addressing this immediately with my full desk staff. As our intention is to always provide the best in cleanliness and service, we will be conducting a detailed inspection of our carpets so we can take care of the stain you mentioned. Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention! I am very happy to hear that the breakfast options were to your liking. On your next visit to the area, however you choose to book your trip, I do hope you will contact the hotel directly so that I may make a personal effort to ensure an excellent stay. Perhaps if you stay in the summer you could enjoy the pool that looked so inviting on your last trip!
Many thanks!
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a spur-of-the-moment getaway with friends. We booked two rooms through Priceline, which gave us a heftier-than-usual discount for staying here.

Staff was friendly, although very slow on both check-in and check-out. Nice breakfast bar and decent WiFi. Rooms were OK, although a bit noisy. This place has some of the firmest mattresses I've ever seen.

Overall, this was an average stay. I'd stay again here if the price is right.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
JIjohnsoncityTN, General Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear “bitmapped”
Thank you for letting us hear about your recent stay with us in Johnson City. I want to let you know that my staff and I are very committed to the highest standards of service and I am sorry that your check-in and check-out processes ran longer than usual. We will commit ourselves to making this process as quick and easy as possible for your next visit with us! It is nice to hear that you liked the breakfast selection and wireless internet. My apologies for the noise you experienced. I do hope you decide to visit us again so I can turn your average experience into an excellent experience next time. Feel free to call us directly at the hotel or you can go to Choicehotels.com to book your future stays!
Hopefully,
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This Quality Inn is nice. Friendly clerk at check-in and check-out. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean.

I would recommend this Quality Inn and will stay there again when visiting the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa W
JIjohnsoncityTN, General Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear “Lisa W”
I was very happy to read that your stay began and ended with one of my friendly staff members. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them. We will all look forward to your next visit. Be sure to call us direct or you can go to ChoiceHotels.com to book your next stay. Thank you for taking the time to review the Quality Inn of Johnson City!
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at the Jameson Inn the night before leaving for the Appalachian Trail to back pack. Nice and comfortable before hitting the trial. The room was a good value. Very clean. Minifridge and microwave would have been useful if staying for more than one night. The breakfast was ok, not very many healthy or filling options, but was good for a cold buffett.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank abagirl
Dear “abagirl”
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our location. I hope your back packing trip on the Appalachian Trail was rewarding! Since your last visit with us, we have actually changed brands to a Quality Inn. Interestingly enough, as a part of the change we have expanded our breakfast menu to include a few more options such as boiled eggs and yogurt. Thank you again for your review and be sure to call direct or go to ChoiceHotels.com to book your next visit with us!