“Disappointing stay at a lovely property.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Carnegie Hotel

Carnegie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
New York City, New York
“Disappointing stay at a lovely property.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

By far a very disappointing stay. For such a nice property that is warm and inviting, the staff and the restaurant by far did not match up. Such a lovely hotel should have better management the what you would expect to find at a Red Roof Inn or Howard Johnson's. Being a Sheraton fan I decided to try this local hotel giving the appearance and overall appearance. Looks clearly were deceiving once you added in the staff.

Room Tip: Don't let the look of the hotel fool you for the disappointing staff and experience.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank nycapltech
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I apologize for the concerns you mention and have shared your comments with our staff as we are constantly seeking ways to improve our guest experience. Our guests satisfaction is of vital importance to us and we take every measure possible to ensure our guests have a successful, comfortable stay, and made to feel welcomed. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to be of service should your travels bring you back to Johnson City.

Regards,

Beth Long - Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

One night stopover on our route north to Shenandoah.

Pros: Very large room on ground floor with two huge beds with wooden bedsteads. Very large bathroom apparently designed for guests with mobility problems.

Very sweet and friendly young lady brought some cold room service drinks swiftly.

Cons: large steep car park; we parked right outside and unloaded without anyone coming to help - had to go inside to get the baggage trolley myself, then my husband parked the car and walked back. When I saw the baggage man inside doing nothing, I remarked that we had unloaded the car ourselves. His response was "why, so you did!"

Toilet flushed continually; I opened the lid and pressed a lever to make it stop, every time we used it. On checking out I informed the hotel that they need a plumber in there; they were unaware of this.

Unlike all the other hotels on this road trip, impossible to turn the A/C fan off at night. Take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Walk-in (disabled) shower flooded the floor unless you stood as far back from the floppy shower curtain as possible.

Waitress in the restaurant seemed irritated that we showed up for evening meal within the last hour of serving and rushed us through. At one point I had on the table the starter, the main course which arrived while I was still eating the starter, bread rolls, empty plates and glasses, empty water bottle, all piling up uncleared. (I cleared them myself to an adjacent empty table.)

Waitress refused to allow me to take medicine at her table, saying it was 'in violation of state law'. (That I do not believe.)

Tried to charge us $8 for a tiny amount of fresh milk to make our morning coffee in-room. I said that that was unreasonable and it was removed from the bill.

Re-loading the car with luggage the next morning was the same procedure; DIY.

I doubt we'll be back in the area, and maybe these comments will help other people as a change from all the other gushing and uncritical reviews.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from your review that you were disappointed in our service and food service. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. It is through feedback as yours that we evaluate ourselves and identify the areas where we can improve. I thank you again for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and I do hope that if you visit our area again, you consider staying with us.

Regards,

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a hidden gem, the best hotel I have ever stayed at for less than $100/night. The facility is AAA rated 4 diamonds and easily clears the hurdle and expectations. The facility is wonderful, staff is very attentive, the rooms are over-sized with great attention to detail, and the restaurant was a very pleasant (but not cheap) experience. I would gladly recommend this hotel. Great experience

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Knoxotter
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We needed a great stop over on our way to the North Carolina mountains and were delighted to find this AAA 4 diamond property. The rooms were large and well appointed. Wellington's, the restaurant provided a wonderful meal and drinks to finish off the day. Lovely hotel celebrating the grandeur seen in historic hotels in larger metropolitan areas. Would definitely stay here again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Granted, my family was tired, bereaved and generally upset with the reason all of us were at the hotel but the service, convenience and offerings were more than satisfactory. All of us found the property to be graciously appointed, well staffed and professionally representative of what we expected. All of us are JC TN natives who grew up and went to school and graduated from ETSU across the street. While I cannot recall all the staff we spoke with during our 4 day, 3 night stay May 15-17, 2014, I assure you all was well taken care of. We felt welcome at the property and enjoyed it's history and atmosphere tremendously.

William McDonald
Palm Desert CA
on behalf of Ellen Prescott, Mebane, NC
Rooms 408, 412 and 414 ( I believe)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
On behalf of our team, we would like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and look forward to being your hotel of choice many times in the future. Our guests satisfaction is our top priority, no matter the circumstances, and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during this difficult time. I have shared your kind words with our staff and hope that your travels allow you to return to the hotel so we may serve you again!

Kind Regards,

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed while I was doing research at the Archives of Appalachia at ETSU. Location was perfect as the university is right across the street. The room was beautifully decorated and very spacious. The bathroom was the largest bathroom I have ever encountered in a hotel and I've stayed in hotels around the world. The beds were very comfortable. Our room had windows facing the street, with a view of the university and Appalachian mountains in the background. While this was a busy street, we did not hear any street noise in our room. The Wi-Fi connection was good as well. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The restaurant was wonderful and my daughter enjoyed the spa. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
It's wonderful to hear that both you and your daughter had a great experience with us! We certainly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write a great review. We also thank you for complimenting our staff and will make sure we share your sentiments with the entire team. Great reviews like yours are an important part of our success. Thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and booked a stay for one night in the Presidential Suite, known as the Harrison Suite. It was so beautiful, huge room better that the pictures could represent. The bathroom and the claw footed tub was just outstanding, it was all so clean and inviting to stay in. The room is decorated with with the best of everthing, really richlely done.
The bed was nice, but I really would have expected a little more comfort that standard box spring type mattress, but it was fine for the stay. The restaurant was closed but had food choices available not to for from the hotel. The hotel itself is amazing to walk through, I would not hesitate to ever stay here again. The check in and out was very easy.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are very nice, but the Presidential Suite is very memorable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dkroberson
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel! I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in our luxurious Presidential Suite. The Presidential Suites have been redecorated in the past few months are I am happy to hear your positive feedback of the décor. My apologies that the mattress was not to your liking. I hope that your travels bring you back to the area soon and we look forward to being of service to you in the future!

Kind Regards,