“This Vintage Lady Has Aged So Gracefully” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carnegie Hotel

Carnegie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
South Florida, Florida
“This Vintage Lady Has Aged So Gracefully”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here because it is directly across from ETSU and my son was doing his "defense" for his PhD(shameless bragging). We got a good rate of $109 per night and though you can lodge much cheaper in Johnson City, we were very pleased with our experience. This is a good example of what a luxury hotel looked like in the early 1900's. The array of antiques is really interesting. The "wall unit" for lack of a better description, behind the check in counter is carved from one solid piece of wood and took 6 men to put in there. They then built the check in counter in front of it. Lots of wood all over with mahogany and oak dominating. Our room was large and comfortable with an unexpectedly large bathroom with double sinks. The restaurant/bar area was equally appointed with wood and gave you the feeling of where the early movers and shakers of this area ate and drank and smoked cigars as they plotted and schemed their next adventure. The food was nothing extravagant but we enjoyed it just the same.The bar is a whiskey bar with over 50 choices of whiskey. Only one Irish whiskey choice was a bit disappointing but I was not in Ireland, I was in Johnson City. There was a lounge area adjacent to the bar that had more antiques and my favorite was an , I think ,Alligator
upholstered sofa. Johnson City is also famous for being a hangout for Al Capone. So if you want to have a sip of whiskey or two on an Alligator sofa that Al may have plotted on, I believe you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Check around a bit for a good rate. After checking some of the "get a deal" internet sites...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for taking your time to submit your review and congratulations to your son for completing the PhD program, that is a wonderful accomplishment and something to be very proud of. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel, as the hotel itself is a replica, we house several antiques in hopes that it adds historic feel to the hotel. Our Wellington's Restaurant has quite the Whisky selection and I'm glad that you were able to sample a few of them during your stay with us. I certainly hope that your travels bring you back to the area and that you stay with us again!

Beth Long - Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Carnegie Hotel and I have to say the Décor is very old fashioned, which I guess some people would love. The rooms were the same way, bed was comfortable, room was clean, mini-fridge included (with nothing in it). The staff picked us up from the Airport for free, that was a nice add-on. Every member of the staff was very nice to us. Although we only stayed 3 nights, we enjoyed good drinks at the bar/restaurant. I was a bit confused at the restaurant hours. They have a really random schedule, and when we wanted to go and eat there, it was closed. We got a shuttle ride from the hotel to the airport on our departure, also got rides to destinations as requested, since we did not have a rental that was a great plus. Very nice place, very nice staff, thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review The Carnegie Hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the décor of the hotel and the amenities offered in the room. I'm also happy that you found us to be accommodating for airport transportation and shuttles around the city and that it was of help to you during your stay. We want to not only meet, but exceed guest expectations and I apologize that you were unable to visit our Wellington's Restaurant due to the hours but glad that you were able to utilize our bar during your stay with us. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your review and if and when you return to Johnson City, we hope that you will stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I just wanted a little getaway for the weekend, and we had heard a few good things about the Carnegie, so we booked us a room for the weekend with one of their "Evening of Indulgence" packages. It was amazing. When you walk in, you realize you are "not in Kansas anymore". Vintage decor and antiques stand out all over the place, which gives the place a great feel. The room was spotless and huge. Great bathroom with both a stand up shower and tub (for the little lady). The spa gave us great massages and our meal at Wellington's was superb. Everyone was so accomodating. Check-in and check-out was easy and friendly. They even asked us about our room and stay when we passed through the lobby, I guess just to make sure everything was kosher! The service definitely exceeded our expectations, and it was a sheer delight. Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Carnegie Hotel. We are elated to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance of our hotel and that your room was spotless. Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in what they do and we are happy that their continued hard work has not gone unnoticed. We as a staff work hard to provide exceptional customer service from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart and we strive to make it a memorable one! We appreciate your positive review. When you return to Johnson City we hope that you will stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

By far a very disappointing stay. For such a nice property that is warm and inviting, the staff and the restaurant by far did not match up. Such a lovely hotel should have better management the what you would expect to find at a Red Roof Inn or Howard Johnson's. Being a Sheraton fan I decided to try this local hotel giving the appearance and overall appearance. Looks clearly were deceiving once you added in the staff.

Room Tip: Don't let the look of the hotel fool you for the disappointing staff and experience.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nycapltech
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I apologize for the concerns you mention and have shared your comments with our staff as we are constantly seeking ways to improve our guest experience. Our guests satisfaction is of vital importance to us and we take every measure possible to ensure our guests have a successful, comfortable stay, and made to feel welcomed. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to be of service should your travels bring you back to Johnson City.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

One night stopover on our route north to Shenandoah.

Pros: Very large room on ground floor with two huge beds with wooden bedsteads. Very large bathroom apparently designed for guests with mobility problems.

Very sweet and friendly young lady brought some cold room service drinks swiftly.

Cons: large steep car park; we parked right outside and unloaded without anyone coming to help - had to go inside to get the baggage trolley myself, then my husband parked the car and walked back. When I saw the baggage man inside doing nothing, I remarked that we had unloaded the car ourselves. His response was "why, so you did!"

Toilet flushed continually; I opened the lid and pressed a lever to make it stop, every time we used it. On checking out I informed the hotel that they need a plumber in there; they were unaware of this.

Unlike all the other hotels on this road trip, impossible to turn the A/C fan off at night. Take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Walk-in (disabled) shower flooded the floor unless you stood as far back from the floppy shower curtain as possible.

Waitress in the restaurant seemed irritated that we showed up for evening meal within the last hour of serving and rushed us through. At one point I had on the table the starter, the main course which arrived while I was still eating the starter, bread rolls, empty plates and glasses, empty water bottle, all piling up uncleared. (I cleared them myself to an adjacent empty table.)

Waitress refused to allow me to take medicine at her table, saying it was 'in violation of state law'. (That I do not believe.)

Tried to charge us $8 for a tiny amount of fresh milk to make our morning coffee in-room. I said that that was unreasonable and it was removed from the bill.

Re-loading the car with luggage the next morning was the same procedure; DIY.

I doubt we'll be back in the area, and maybe these comments will help other people as a change from all the other gushing and uncritical reviews.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from your review that you were disappointed in our service and food service. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. It is through feedback as yours that we evaluate ourselves and identify the areas where we can improve. I thank you again for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and I do hope that if you visit our area again, you consider staying with us.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a hidden gem, the best hotel I have ever stayed at for less than $100/night. The facility is AAA rated 4 diamonds and easily clears the hurdle and expectations. The facility is wonderful, staff is very attentive, the rooms are over-sized with great attention to detail, and the restaurant was a very pleasant (but not cheap) experience. I would gladly recommend this hotel. Great experience

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Knoxotter
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We needed a great stop over on our way to the North Carolina mountains and were delighted to find this AAA 4 diamond property. The rooms were large and well appointed. Wellington's, the restaurant provided a wonderful meal and drinks to finish off the day. Lovely hotel celebrating the grandeur seen in historic hotels in larger metropolitan areas. Would definitely stay here again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple