“Great place to eat downtown”
Review of One Acre Cafe

One Acre Cafe
Ranked #52 of 326 Restaurants in Johnson City
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Cuisines: American
Description: One Acre Café is located at 603 West Walnut Street in downtown Johnson City, TN. The café was established to further address the escalating issues of hunger and food insecurity in our community. One Acre Cafe utilizes the model provided by the One World Everybody Eats Foundation joining the growing family of more than forty other community cafes across the country. This progressive model is new to the Johnson City area and will be a great addition to the plans for downtown revitalization. One Acre Café offers our community healthy and nutritious food in a warm and inviting space. There are suggested donations for those who can pay or pay it forward and the ability to volunteer in exchange for a meal for those who cannot. Our café offers a passionate, skilled chef who works with local farmers to produce amazing cuisine. You are the staff! Our volunteers are integral to running the day to day operations of One Acre Café. Whether you are volunteering for your meal or simply giving your time, it is the "coming together" of community that creates the heart of the café.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Some friends treated me to lunch here. Had no idea what to expect. Good food, and considering the wait staff are all volunteers, can't complain about that. I get it; they're looking to be a blessing and they do it well. Would come here again.

3  Thank 414Bookworm

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband, daughter and myself chose One Acre after hearing so much about it. It turns out it is very close to our office. I checked there website, http://www.oneacrecafe.org to see if the menu would work for us (it changes daily). There are 3 size plate to choose from, that way you pay for the amount of food you want. Our waitress (a volunteer) was very welcoming and so nice. It was a great experience. I had the quiche. It wasn't by favorite but I would definitely go again. They give you a bill, but it doesn't have tax or tip so if you want to donate above your bill the money is used for those who can't pay. You can also volunteer time for a meal. Great experience here in Johnson City!

8  Thank srjpJohnsonCity
Reviewed 25 June 2014

On my third trip to the cafe I dined with a large group. We got great service from our volunteer waiter. The food is consistently good: salads, quiche, homemade soup, fruit cup as a side, plus hot entrees. I chose the prime rib sandwich as a medium-sized plate, with a side of roasted carrots. Both were top-notch. My friend was pleased with the quiche and side garden salad. We didn't have dessert, but the selections were reasonably priced and sounded good.

One Acre strives to support local growers, so the veggies are fresh. As other reviewers have noted, is one of the new community cafés springing up across the country. Jan Orchard and the team are always pleasant and efficient, and it seems as if they enjoy their work.

8  Thank RustyJohnsonCity_TN
Reviewed 24 June 2014

TWO WAYS TO PAY: traditional way- cash, check, or C/Card; OR, volunteer as a server, kitchen helper, or work in the garden. And the food is excellent & affordably priced. You can even sit at the "Community Table" so you don't have to eat alone- meet a new friend! This was my first trip, and I was very impressed: prompt & friendly service, good selection of seasonal food (and well-prepared), and such a nice environment. And BTW: the Veggie Quiche was superb! Check it out: come eat, pay it forward, volunteer, or just pay for your meal, and be blessed!!!

6  Thank rgdrake
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent lunch but feeds your soul.
Check the website for the daily menu.
Read the details on their website about this great cafe and their purpose.

4  Thank Dave219td