“Nice facelift, but...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
washington d.c.
“Nice facelift, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

It appears quite a bit of effort has gone into renovating this old hotel. The rooms look great, excellent towels and bath products, and the location is just off the interstate with plenty of food options and shopping! However, the smell of smoking rooms permeates the hotel and the vent system. We are super sensitive to smoke, but if you are also, this could be a problem for you. For Hilton honors members, the concierge lounge was disappointing. Again, nicely appointed, but the food was inedible. Too many other options in the area to recommend this hotel (sorry, Hilton, I love you, but this one needs work).

• Stayed November 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
north carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

As an HHonors Gold member, I was really excited to experience a Doubletree as such. But my stay here was only average. I would rate it poor, but its amenities and location are quite nice. I only wish the service and touches matched its beautiful environs.

My check-in was not fast. The one front desk attendant was moving quite slowly. We made eye contact and he acknowledged me. But then he attended to two other individuals who cut me off before helping me.

My room -- a bright spot -- was very nice. Robes, towels, Crabtree & Evelyn shampoos/soaps, and my extra towels were nicely presented. And the in-room coffee was "Wolfgang Puck" -- very tasty. TV was a flat screen and no annoying hotel channels you have to get through before watching regular TV. Internet was fast and reliable.

The Executive Lounge (here called "Concierge") was disappointing. One morning, the attendant ignored me. The next morning, I went in and left due to the lacking breakfast offering. It was very small and open door--(not keyed as in other Hilton properties), This one was a converted hotel room and just wasn't as nice as others I've been in. It just was not the value-added perk to be enjoyed as it was supposed to be.

Breakfast was another option... The morning I did not eat breakfast in the lounge, I went to the sports bar that was used for breakfast in the morning. First time I walked in, no one was there to welcome me. I stepped out then back in, and finally someone seated me. I presented my breakfast coupon and was explained it was for the "cold side" of the breakfast buffet or $6.95 off the full buffet or menu items. (There is a nickel-and-diming game here as I overheard two servers talking: the purple coupon is full free buffet and the orange coupon is for the cold side only.) I opted to order from the menu... Here was a a bright spot underneath the poor service as my "creme brulee oatmeal" and two eggs were delicious. My OJ and coffee were refilled promptly. So food wise, it wasn't too bad.

However, there was no coffee service at all in the lobby. No Sunday papers were available (for purchase or for guests). My queries at the front desk were answered with short, cut-off answers--as if I was interupting their work. Frankly, the service I have had at multiple Hilton Garden Inns and Hampton Inns have been warmer and more pleasant than my experience here.

Being from Johnson City and returning for a family visit, I was very excited to stay here. I remember when this property was one of the "Garden Plaza Hotels" that were in East Tennessee -- quite nice! So when this became a DoubleTree years ago and I found an advance room rate of about $81 plus taxes each night through the HHonors website-- I thought this would be a treat to cap about 4 weeks of work travel. I am disappointed and probably will not return. I am only hopeful that my experience is the exception and not the norm.

Room Tip: Hotel is L-shaped with two wings and a central open lobby. There is a sports bar (busy/loud on game...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jazzmina11
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Room was awesome, beds were comfy and clean, bathroom spotless. Cookie, as always, phenomenal.

Only disappointment was there was no coffee or any sort of breakfast for free when I came downstairs; they had a restaurant where you have to pay. I would have been happy with some extra cookies ; )

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dw518
Hurst, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is in a great location right across from the mall. It is easy to access right off the highway. The rooms are spacious and very clean. There is a small restaurant/bar in the lobby. However, we never went there. On Saturday night it seemed like everyone in there was having a great time watching sports. It is not the cheapest place in town, but worth the little extra money in my opinion. My family thought the cookies provided at check-in and check-out were a great special touch. I have to travel back to the area in December and have already made my reservation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Txleegr
mims florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

It has a small Executive Lounge but a welcoming concierge; a small restaurant but again a smile; an indoor/outdoor pool; unusual shaped rooms but a convenient location if you are visiting the beautiful TN mountains.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gwgMimsFlorida
Sterling, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Being a pilot, we got a "special" rate, but I think you could do the same of the online sites as well. The room was gorgeous! Beautifully appointed with very modern looking decor, but not cold. I had a king-size bed, overlooking the pool. As I was there on business and had a business dinner and a fairly early departure, I didn't get a chance to use the pool or other amenities, but they all looked very inviting. The hotel is also positioned well -- across from a mall and within walking distance of a "Red Lobster", "Olive Garden" and "Texas Roadhouse". All in all a comfortable bed, nice surroundings and a wonderful night.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank M-Pilot
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I travel to the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee about four to five times a year for work, and usually stay at the Doubletree Inn in Johnson City. Over the last year or two I’ve experienced a few service issues, and after my most recent visit, may make a permanent switch to the Hampton Inn on State of Franklin Road. I prefer the Doubletree’s location near the mall and local restaurants and businesses, but there’s no excuse for a room that’s not ready for guests.

I arrived around 9 pm and was tired after a 5-hour drive. After checking in I proceeded to my room, only to find several items not as they should be. One of the door hinges on the wooden cabinet that houses the refrigerator was broken, creating a situation where the cabinet door wouldn’t close because the broken hinge kept getting caught on the top corner of the refrigerator. The open cabinet door was partially blocking the entrance to the bathroom. There was an orange extension cord (the kind you use outdoors or for power tools) stuffed in beside the refrigerator with part of the cord coming out the back of the cabinet and over to the electrical outlet beside the bed. As I was trying to deal with the cabinet door by moving the refrigerator, the refrigerator door opened, revealing half-drunk beverages left there by the previous guests, I suppose.

At this point I gathered up my sweater, computer, and overnight bag and proceeded back down to the front desk. The front desk clerk was very apologetic and gave me another room. Why housekeeping and/or maintenance thought my original room was ready for occupancy is beyond me. Had this been my first visit, it would have left me with a very bad impression.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business