“Needs a little TLC. But still a good choice.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Needs a little TLC. But still a good choice.”
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

The hotel has potential, just if they pumped some well needed cosmetic make overs to the common areas and main entrance. This is one of just a handful of full service hotels in the area. The sports bar inside is spacious and well defined with ample tv's and reasonable drink prices. The staff was courteous and attentive throughout the property. The price paid was very, very reasonable for this time of year. Would definitely recommend it, just don't get your hopes up that you are staying at one of Hilton's best.

• Stayed October 2012
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Thank you so much for taking a moment to let our future guests and us at the property know what you though of our hotel and your stay with us. We agree that the property needs some updates and thankfully we are working speedily to get them completed. Currently, we are replacing carpet in all guest rooms, will have a new business center at first of the year and just had the parking lot re-sealed and striped and the indoor pool deck refinished. I assure you that during your next stay with us, you will see dramatic changes that will enhance your visit to our property. We appreciate your recommendation to others who may visit Johnson City and look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again for your review and safe travels until next time.
Sincerely, Steve lewis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My family and I spent four nights at the Doubletree in Johnson City. We have been searching for a nice, affordable hotel property for our frequent visits to the Tri-City area. The staff is extremely courteous and exude that famous Southern hospitality in every way. Breakfast was good, coffee hot and tasty; great indoor swimming area; and rooms were comfortable and quiet. Desk personnel extremely well trained and customer conscious. We will stay there every time we visit the area.

P.S. Starbucks is across the street and there are many restaurant choices around the hotel. Parking is plentiful and well lit. Plus, the mall is across the street!

Room Tip: 5th floor is concierge
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your response regarding your visit with us. We were happy to have you and are thrilled to hear our staff and accommodations were a great fit for your family. We also feel our location is perfect for families, especially with the amount of things to do in walking distand to the property. we appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to being your family's home away from home during your requent visits to the Tri-Cities area. Safe travels until your next stay! Steve lewis
Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

We stay here every year for the story telling festival. The rooms are updated to the current Hilton standards. The bed is a ten. The staff is very friendly.

Beware, the first floor west wing is a stinking smoke hole. We made the mistake of walking to my car and gagged. They said after the first of the year they will be smoke free. The smell doesnot invade the rest of the hotel.

There is a movie plex next door across the parking lot. Lots of restaurants near by.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during the Storytelling Festival each year! We appreciate your loyalty and for your response that allows our future guests to get a better glimpse into what we offer and your impression of the property. We are pleased to know that the staff and bedding were up to par for you. You will be happy to know that we will in fact be going 100% non-smoking in early 2013, therefore that will not be a concern during your stay next fall with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again next october and wish you the safest travels until then.
Steve lewis
athens tn
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Usually stay at Doubletree. Mostly fine, but its time to do a little cosmetic and updating to the room I stayed in. But, it was not to the point I would not return. This was a very friendly hotel. Staff at front desk friendly and I ALWAYS notice if the cleaning staff is friendly and they were. So, that shows me they treat their staff good. I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Usually stay at Hilton properties and this hotel was ok. Parking was at a premium while it was raining. Hilton honors members get free breakfast on the 5th floor. Typical fare - didn't like that the attendant left a dollar on the counter hoping for tips. Room was ok and amble place to work. TV had several channels. Shower was good pressure and hot. Bed was comfortable. Room had a refrigerator. Would stay here again.

1 Thank MountJuliet2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I am a Hilton Honors member, and like staying at Hilton branded properties when possible. Generally I choose a Hampton Inn, just because of the free breakfast, but this time I went with the DoubleTree because of its location. While I could tell that this property was a little older, I thought that it has been well maintained for its age. The lobby and the guestroom felt very clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the wireless worked very well for me (a must!). I was also surprised when I got here, that for HH members, there is a concierge lounge on the top floor that serves a complimentary breakfast for no additional cost! The exercise room was very small (a couple cardio machines and free weights), but all of the machines were working and looked new.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay here. The staff was great, the rooms were quiet and clean, and the rate was very reasonable for a full-service hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling here.

1 Thank BlakeO229
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I just completed my second stay at this hotel and will not return. Upon check-in, I was provided with a room that had a broken ironing board and inoperable air conditioning unit. The carpet had cookie crumbs on it and the carpet under the tables and bed looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in months. They replaced the ironing board promptly, but maintenance didn't show up to my room for an hour--after my second phone call to the front desk. The individual from maintenance showed-up without any tools and proceeded to press the on and off buttons, and unplug and replug the unit (same actions I took). He concluded that unit was broken. I waited an hour for that. As I suspected in the first place, I was moved to another room. In all fairness to the manager, she felt bad for my inconvenience and provided me with a coupon for the buffet and a giftcard to Starbucks. She was very nice and tried to accommodate, but the problems in this hotel are too monumental for one person to handle.

My second room wasn't a whole lot better. It was missing an ironing board , which they promptly replaced. The air conditioning unit worked, but the air from it smelled mildewy. I was hoping not to contract legionnaires disease during my 3 day stay. Just like the first room, the carpet under the tables and the bed looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in months/year. One of the "clean" glasses provided was actually quite filthy. I left a note for housekeeping, who left a note back apologizing for the dirty glass, but then decided (I guess) to not clean the rest of the room. During my 3 day stay, the sink was cleaned once, the table surfaces were not dusted. the counter above the refrigerator was unwiped, a used washcloth was simply refolded and placed on top of the commode tank, the refrigerator froze all of the food and beverages in it, I was provided with one USA Today and upon checkout, the front desk could not provide me with a receipt due to computer issues. And--my room also had one of the same bugs that a reviewer provided a picture of.

Perhaps I wasn't provided with a better room and better housekeeping because I am not a Hilton Honors member. In reading some of the other reviews, there seem to be "special" rooms for Hilton Honor members that actually get cleaned (floors 3 and higher). I was on floor 2. It's unfortunate as this hotel is centrally located to the highway, shopping and restaurants. But on my next business trip to Johnson City, I'll be willing to drive out of my way for a clean, well maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Become a Hilton Honors member, I guess.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay at our hotel. We are extremely sorry that we did not meet expectations and please know that we are actively working with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. we will certainly address your concerns and keep them in mind as we evaluate refresh options at our property. We value all of our guests and strive to proved a clean and comfortable enfironment for everyone. Thank you again, and we hope you will consider staying with us the next time your travels bring you back to Johnson City so that we can show you the quality service and amenities you deserve.

Best regards,