“Average Hotel but Pleasant Stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Roanoke, Virginia
“Average Hotel but Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Friendly Staff, all the kings w/ sleeper sofas were booked so we had to get doubles, tight sleeping for four people. I wish they would put the plush top on all beds and not just the kings. Bed was not soft enough but the staff was kind and gave me extra pillows and blankets to pad the bed, I slept on the feather pillows which made our two night stay manageable. I see the reviews about floor being dirty, while we were there they were shampooing the carpets. My room was clean. The pool was pretty cold, it needs to be heated since it's open to swim outside. My kids love to swim but they didn't stay in long. The fitness room was really nice, they gave you headsets to plug into the machines to watch tv and not disturbed other guests. I am used to more variety in the concierge room, it was one of the rooms made into the concierge, they only had two tables. No real complaints, pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Unfortunately this is one of the best hotels in the Johnson City area with great access to the little mall and a few of their night life areas all within walking distance. My advice would be to inspect your room prior to accepting it. This hotel is used by many of the club goers in the area and falls prey to some of the more unfortunate effects of that life style. Overall it is a great price and 80% of the time a very comfortable stay. Just on this particular stay I cut my visit very short due to the room’s condition and comfort level.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first floor rooms unless you have to smoke. Inspect the room prior to accepting i...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
strasburg va
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I read the reviews of this hotel before my trip and sincerely hoped they were wrong. The hotel front desk staff were all very friendly and accomidating. The room was nice and had new carpet. I spent 4 nights in a king room and had to ask for towels, wash cloths, toilet paper. The bed was not made one time, trash was not emptied until I asked. Essentials such as soap, shampoo.... were not restocked one time. This was the first Hilton property I've stayed in that did not have an area guide in the room. There was a full menu for room service BUT it is only availabe after 6pm. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can't get the room cleaned or clean towels, the room won't matter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
I certainly thank you for taking the time to review our hotel regarding your recent stay with us. I was very happy to hear that you found our rooms to be accommodating and that our front desk staff was friendly toward you. I do however, sincerely apologize that we did not meet expectations and did not live up to our standards and the standards you deserve as it relates to daily housekeeping and re-stocking of supplies for your room. I have spoken with our housekeeping supervisors and shared your review with them as part of our training to prevent issues like this from occuring again. We are actively working to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met

Again, I do apologize for the inconveniences your encountered during your stay at our hotel but hope that you will consider giving us another chance next time you are back in the Tricities area.

Steve
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The rooms at this hotel were clean and updated. The internet was only an average speed. It was good for a night’s stay but I would not want to stay here for an extended period of time. The breakfast was only average. Many of the dishes were dirty (not washed properly) so make sure you inspect the plates and silverware before using them. Parking is free and the hotel is in a good location which is a plus. There was just nothing special about this hotel that caught my eye.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations and am extrememly disappointed that you found our silverware to be unclean. I can assure you that our #1 priority is for every guest to have an exceptional stay with us. Please know we will do everything we need to do to ensure that the issues you experienced are corrected. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will certainly keep your review in mind.

Best regards,
Steve Lewis
Winter Haven, Florida, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2013

The staff was very friendly. Clean, quite room. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Didn't try the restaurant for dinner, but did order room service for our daughter, which she said the food was real good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Randy H
Thank you for much for the excellent review of your recent visit to our hotel. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant and room service as well as a clean and quiet room. Our entire staff is committed to and and strives to provide every guest with a great stay. I will surely share your review with our team and am so happy you were pleased with the friendliness of the staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I ask that you please consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to our area!

Best regards,
Steve
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Reviewed 18 December 2012

The room had strong odor of rotten rags of some sort. The floor made my white socks black. Heater was not working. If I had to paid for it, I'll definitely ask for refund but the local company was paying for it, so I asked to change hotel for their guest in future.
I wet the rags and wiped off the desk and chair, since it was filthy to put any items on.

The hotel has nice bar, restaurant, but oh yes, the pool was closed as well.

Room Tip: Because of the restaurant and night club, general area is noisy until around 12:30 a.m.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Thank you so much for your response after your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the displeasure you experienced during your time with us. Please know that we are working dilligently to improve the conditions of our property that is consistently full of guests, therefore it does experience wear and tear. Currently, we are replacing the carpet in all of our guest rooms (which should be finished mid-January 2013) and we were resurfacing the pool deck during your stay, hence the closed pool. We apologize for the closing, however these things are necessary in order to update the property and deliver the best product to you, our valued guests.

On behald of our property and team memebers, we thank you for staying with us and do hope you will reconsidered staying elsewhere during your next visit, as we are improving constantly to only perfect your next stay.

Sincerely, Steve Lewis
Tennessee
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I have stayed in a couple of these Garden Plaza Conversions to Doubletree. The one in Jackson TN is identical in layout. The problem with the Doubletree in Johnson City I'm sorry to say is just how dirty the hotel is. The Tri Cities are hungry for more Hilton Products but this one is not worth your time. I am loyal to Hilton but it seems that Doubletree disappoints me more than any other of their brands. Hilton Garden Inn is my favorite by far.
Concerning this property, we stayed in one of their suites. It was my wife, son and I.

The Lobby:
Upon entering the lobby, we were not greeted but I waited while the young lady behind the counter finally noticed me. She was texting and never looked up. She was pleasant, however when she did see me. My room was ready. There were no cookies available at all. In fact I never saw cookies one time during our stay. I found this to be disconcerting. This is a signature thing for that brand. The lobby is a classic Garden Plaza design. with an atrium and a central elevator. Avoid the first floor rooms at all costs. The smell of smoke drifting from that corridor is unbelievable. I can't believe there are still smoking rooms. It was real bad. I had to use the business center on the first floor and it was unbearable with the smell. Luckily I didn't have to stay there long because the computer wasn't working.

The Pool: Down for rehab apparently. The note in the check in packet said it was down for a month. It would have been nice if they had told us that when I called to make a reservation. My 7 year old was really looking forward to the indoor pool. That is why we booked staying there!

The Room:
The Cherokee Suite was nicely laid out but very DIRTY and in dire need of maintenance. 2 light bulbs blown to start. The bar area had a very sticky tile floor and clearly had not been cleaned well in some time. Carpet was very worn and the walls had a lot of damages. The TV worked well and had a nice hinged mount for multi angle viewing. I wish Doubletree would get OnDemand Movies! I was pouring my son some milk in a glass and my finger touched a crusty substance on it. All 4 glasses were FILTHY. They clearly had not been cleaned well. My guess is the housekeeper just ran the glasses under the water at the sink. Good hotels are supposed to give fresh glasses from properly sanitized dishwashing units. This was bad. Real bad. We were all grossed out.

The Bathroom:
Very dirty. Again a sticky floor. There was no working fan in here so after one shower, the entire bathroom was a swamp. There was mold in the shower, the floor around the toilets was filthy. Light out. The shower head was very nice but whenever a toilet is flushed in that area of the building, the water literally stops for a few seconds, comes back on flaming hot then evens out again. My wife got scalded. Not good. Also there were only 2 towels in the room.

On a positive note the bed was comfortable. The living area had a couch with giant dark stain on one side of it. We avoided sitting on it. The couch was in really bad shape and very dirty.

Food:
After we got settled in, I went down to the bar/restaurant. No one was there to help me at first as the staff was all singing karaoke. When they were done with the song, the bartender came over. I ordered a Jameson. She didn't know what that was. She asked someone else who also didn't know. I then ordered a scotch. I got that and asked for a glass of club soda as well. She gave me, and I kid you not here, a shot glass of club soda. At this point it wasn't worth the effort to ask for more. I took the drink back to my room.

We went downstairs for breakfast the next morning at the buffet. It was average. The food was cold in some chafing dishes and there was no more bacon. They told me they didn't want to cook anymore because the buffet was shutting down soon. It was 10 AM. No bacon for us! I noticed the price stayed the same. The server was pleasant however.

We were going to stay two nights. We checked out and went over to the Andrew Johnson. Not a hilton product but clean.

I can handle a lot in a hotel but this was depressing. It was just so dang dirty.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SadricAmber
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Thanks you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am disappointed that your stay was not up to our standards and certainly not up to the standards you deserve. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our team for your stay. Dirty rooms and common areas are not typical at our hotel, and we apprreciate that you brought this to our attention. I have shared your comments with our entire team and we will make every effort in each area we failed in to meet the highest standards.

I would also like to apologize for the level of service you received as well. Our pool renovtions are now complete and the result is a tremendous improvement. Although this does not correct the mistakes from your visit, I ask that you please give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future. We would love another opportunity at providing an exceptionsal stay for you. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can personally take care of you and your next stay.
Steve Lewis