“Stories and Blue Ridge pottery”

DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Dacula, United States
“Stories and Blue Ridge pottery”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Nice room in a nice hotel. Upgraded to concierge level. Convenient to Erwin Apple Festival and Jonesborough Story Tellers. Overall it was a very good stay and would recommend it to anyone coming to the Johnson City area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to know you enjoyed your experience and our convenient location. We greatly appreciate your comments and recommendation! We hope to see you again next time you visit Johnson City.
Steve Lewis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
silver spring
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have stayed here twice over the past several years, while attending the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, about 15 mins. away. Johnson City is quite convenient, with many shops and restaurants. This past visit we stayed on the 5th floor concierge "executive" floor, and I appreciated the full free breakfast ( continental plus scrambled eggs and potatoes) and happy hour cheese and hot hors d'oevres every evening in the "concierge" reception suite. The room was a good size, and comfortable, with a refrigerator, large bathroom ( shower only, but it was a large walk in with oversized shower head) robes, bottled waters, decent mini coffeemaker with high quality coffee and teas, and Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. The pool was ok, I was bothered that there was black spot algae on the walls of the outdoor pool, a tell tale sign of a serious lack of professional pool maintenance, but on the other hand I was glad the pool was open at all. They have an indoor and outdoor pool( connected) I assume they shut the outdoor one off in cold weather. The indoor pool atrium was air conditioned too low, not at a comfortable temperature. The fitness room was ok, but cramped and would have been unpleasant with more than two people using it. And my other gripe was with their sports bar Fanatics, the girl bartender was extremely rude and ignored me almost completely, while flirting with older men patrons, and as that is the only choice on premises, management may want to rethink it to be more of a family friendly bar/restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sjtam
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience. We greatly value your opinion and appreciate your feedback. We absolutely listen to our guests as it helps us in our continuous efforts to improve. We apologize for the challenges you encountered and have shared your comments with both our Engineering team and Fanatics staff so we can make it right for future guests. Our indoor/outdoor pool is is maintained and inspected on a daily basis, however do do have plans to drain and repaint the pool to take care of any issues. By June 30, 2014, our restaurant/lounge will be completed renovated and we will stand ready to be of service to all our guests and their families. We certainly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Johnson City.
Galax, Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here for one night while going to the Bristol Speedway. It was 15 -20 from the speedway. This hotel was clean, updated, and centrally located to food, shopping, and entertainment. The hotel staff was very helpful and welcoming. The room was clean and spacious. The bed was very comfortable with lots of extra pillows. It is within walking distance to a movie theater, and numerous restaurants such as Red Lobster, Five Guys, and Jacks (one of my favorite local places to eat). Overall just a wonderful place to stay. With warm cookies for guests upon arrival and complementary waters in the room.

Room Tip: If a race or college event is going on might be good to stay at the end away from the elevator. So a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the great review! We strive to create a warm and welcoming environment where our guests feel comfortable and appreciated. We are so happy to have delivered that during your stay. Thank you for also mentioning our convenient location. We hope you will choose us again should you visit the Johnson City area and look forward to welcoming you back with our warm DoubleTree by Hilton cookies.
Knoxville, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Great stay. Tons of places to eat in the area. Staff was very friendly. Workout room could use some work. The pool was nice and the sports bar in the main lobby looked great. The warm cookie on arrival was a nice touch. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your kind words about our property, location and friendly staff. Fortunately, our fitness room is scheduled for an update and upgrade soon. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lutz, Florida
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I want to start by saying my stay was "poor" from an extended stay point of view. I stayed here for one month on business. This hotel is fine if you are staying for one or two nights, but that's all. Every weekend, there were very large groups of kids who stayed at the hotel..I assume that there is a baseball/softball field around as most of them were dressed in baseball gear. The kids were loud and ran up and down the hallways. You would think they would put all the kids on the same floor/area but they didn't. You would also think they would put people who are there for long periods of time on the same floor, but they don't.

The hotel is older and was cheaply renovated in my opinion. The windows need replacing as mine leaked when it rained and would soak the carpet. Maintenance shampooed the carpet on one occasion because the room was getting musty. Also, there is only one microwave in the entire hotel for guests to use.

Housekeeping was terrible. Not all the housekeepers, but some of them are lazy. My tub was not cleaned the one month that I was there. When I put the change bed sheets card on my bed, my sheets were not changed every time...I only requested the sheets to be changed once a week. Sometimes they changed them and sometimes they did not. Too bad not all of the housekeepers do a good job.

If you have allergies to pets, I would not recommend staying here. The room next to me had new guests very often. Some of them had dogs and some of them did not (I could hear the dogs bark). It amazes me that they don't have pet specific rooms.

The Fanatics restaurant in the hotel has decent food with nice staff as well. The hotel is in a good location (mall and restaurants very nearby/walking distance). If I ever have to do work in this area again, I will be staying at the other big brand down the street. Like I said, this hotel is fine for a night or two. It is not extended stay friendly due to no microwave in each room and the noise from other guests.

One other note, the front desk staff is overall nice and polite however one staff member I felt did not handle a situation correctly. I went downstairs one morning at 5:30 am to complain about the guests in the room next to me being extremely loud which woke me up. Nothing was done except the front desk told me that the guests in that room were checking out in the morning and not staying another night. I walked back up to my room and the guests were still being loud so I just left the hotel and got an early breakfast.

Room Tip: one side of the hotel faces the mall and one side of the hotel faces a movie theater, so not much of...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PAB111111
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and will use your comments as we constantly work to improve our guests' experience moving forward. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Herndon, United States
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My family and I really enjoyed this property and its staff. The speed of check-in was absolutely what I wanted. Keys were already made I just signed the registration card was given a brief presentation and on my way. If in this area again I would definately stay at this property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate you taking time to comment on your positive experience with us. I am so pleased our front desk staff were able to provide you with an excellent and speedy check-in and welcome. We hope to see you again.
Smyrna, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Everything about this hotel was wonderful, from the clean room to the excellent food to the very friendly staff. I was able to meet with my clients in privacy. I will stay here every time I come this way on business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for sharing your DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City experience on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and greatly appreciate you choosing us to be your hotel of choice in Johnson City. We look forward to the opportunity to be of service on your next trip.