“Perfect setting for intimate garden parties and events!”

Historic Eureka Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Jonesborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had the privilege of renting the garden area for my daughter's Bridal Tea. The setting was absolutely perfect with the brick patio, beautiful flowers, a gazebo and a beautiful stream that runs gracefully throughout the back of the property. The staff at Eureka Inn were so gracious and helpful to us and the price was very affordable. If you are looking for an elegant, quaint setting this is the place!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Historic Eureka Inn immediately following our wedding. It was easy to find in downtown Jonesborough (right off Main Street). We were warmly welcomed by the innkeeper who gave us a quick tour of the grounds, a menu for breakfast, and showed us our room. There was a spacious parking lot reserved for guests, which made it easy to park and unload our bags. Our room was very clean and historically beautiful. We were the only couple in the "East Wing" (we stayed in the Peter Miller room) and were able to have extreme privacy. In the morning, we had a delicious breakfast with many breads, preserves, and juices. We ate breakfast on the back porch, but could have sat on a scenic back patio or second floor porch with rocking chairs overlooking Main Street. Checkout was quick and efficient and the Eureka Inn, much like a bread and breakfast, was worth every penny. I would highly recommend this Inn to any couple or family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This historical Inn is a perfect place to stay if you like to visit the past, enjoy the present and have all the amenities of present and future! We are always welcomed by the innkeeper and feel as if we are family returning for a visit! The rooms are extremely clean, internet connection fast and reliable. You awake each morning to the smell of fresh coffee brewing, and a breakfast suited to your needs. When we are in the area for a vacation or for a weekend visit, we always choose Eureka Inn as our first choice in a place to stay. It is a friendly, warm atmosphere, where history abounds! Jonesboro is a great small town full of history and shopping with unique shops to suit the needs and interests of all ages. You won't want to miss the experience of staying at this historical inn while enjoying all the updated amenities! Have a trip planned for the area? Be sure to check out or better still, check in this unique and interesting Historical Eureka Inn!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique and wonderful! No preference! All rooms quiet and private.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Family and friends combined rented all of the rooms in the Inn for a wedding. The inn and courtyard were gorgeous, and the wedding was beautiful. The innkeeper though, acted like our entire group was an imposition to her. The Eureka Inn site boasts the venue as a perfect place for a small gathering, or a "boisterous" group of friends. As is expected, there was an "afterglow" in the courtyard following the reception. Everyone was well-mannered and having fun. I'm sure the noise bothered the innkeeper, but I wouldn't describe the gathering as overly boisterous. We were just enjoying the occasion. But, at around 1030 pm, the innkeeper came out and pulled the plug on the garden lights as a gentle reminder that the party should be over. We couldn't believe it. Does she realize how many more parties would book the entire inn if they felt more welcome? A smile here and there would have helped. By the way, we plugged the lights back in and continued to enjoy the day, so I am sure we would not be welcomed back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nursebecky99
Maria B, Manager at Historic Eureka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

One of the most frustrating aspects about online reviews is that they give people the freedom to say "you are not enough." No matter how hard we work, how much we give (once you step outside of your room or we step inside, EVERYTHING is complimentary from housekeeping to breakfast), there are always the ungrateful. But you know what? I and my staff ARE enough, and I could let negative reviews from not-even-close-to-wonderful guests leave me discouraged, but I have SO many amazing guests (even if they do not do reviews), that I would rather tap into the wonderful energy they bring and leave behind. NO ONE has the insight, wisdom or place to tell me or anyone that we are not enough. I do want to set some things straight with this particular group of people, however. These guests wanted for nothing. We took excellent care of them. I made myself completely available while everyone was getting ready for the wedding. Scissors? Got 'em. Need to print your sermon several times? No problem. Want to use our bubble machine? Go right ahead and here is the soap too. The bride, who was sweet and gracious, paid for 2 hours of garden time for her wedding vow exchange. I do not charge for set-up or break-down so the garden was theirs from 11am to 5pm or so all for $250 plus tax. We spent 2x that getting the garden ready. I make it very clear to all my brides that the reception DOES NOT continue at the inn (if it is held somewhere else) whether you have 2 or 12 rooms. That is our policy. No exceptions. This group did whatever they wanted and invited a bunch of others to join them. So be it. I could have charged them for holding a party in our garden. I did not. I could have called the police, because the party went on well past 11pm, which is not allowed no matter how much you pay. I could have demanded that the beer kegs and liquor be removed. Instead, I left them alone. They helped themselves to everything they wanted, and I just let them be. Fortunately, this wedding party was a dream compared to what my fellow innkeepers have experienced, but their thoughtlessness and inconsideration did not win my affections. I have worked plenty of two 18-hour + days with a full house. I am doing it right now as I type this, and the ONLY guests who have ever acted with such selfishness and little to no gratitude, and I mean the ONLY ones, were wedding guests. NOT ALL wedding guests of course. Some have been stupendous - warm, friendly, approachable and great tippers too. I am not surprised, however, that wedding venues have so many fees, deposits, restrictions and rules. I guess you can put up with anything if you charge enough. Regardless of who or what however, we welcome all. We work hard and endless to make the Eureka THE place to stay in Northeast TN. Like our garden, it is a work in progress.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Pros:

The location was fantastic, as was the history and style of the inn. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the back porches were great.

Cons:

The "innkeeper" (Maria?) needs to lighten up. The entire building was rented out for a wedding (held in the courtyard behind the inn). Many guests mentioned she was fairly cold and pushy. The icing on the cake: After the reception, a group of around 30-40 of us (mostly the bridal party, family, and close friends) were sitting around and catching up in the courtyard -- nothing loud, no music, etc. Before 11pm, Maria came outside, simply unplugged all the lights (leaving us in the dark), and went back inside to presumably go to bed. If you're not up for a little noise at a reasonable hour, you shouldn't be involved in weddings.

The other con is that for the value you receive, the price seems pretty steep...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Maria B, Manager at Historic Eureka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We at the Eureka were very excited to host the vow exchange for the wedding couple who stayed with us and have the inn filled with their friends and family. What no one told us was that the wedding reception was going to move to our garden from its other location and go on past midnight. Sitting in our garden enjoying a drink with your friends is one thing, having a full party with lots of booze is quite another. For one thing, you have to rent the garden for such an event. No one asked me if they could have hard liquor or beer kegs in our garden, which is completely unauthorized. They just assumed they could do whatever they liked, but I chose to let them have their fun. I did not turn off our extra garden lights because of my guests' impromptu party, and they were not left in the dark. We have lights in our garden that stay on all night. I turned the extra lights off because if they burn for more than 5 hours, they get too hot and begin to throw our circuit switches. Someone in the wedding party had already turned them on around 4pm so they had been burning for 7 hours already. I am always amazed at how those who complain on TripAdvisor have never once tried to have a conversation with me or ask WHY I make certain decisions. We love our guests; I WANT them to have a great stay, but I have to look after the Eureka too. I had 27 guests this past weekend that I had to take care of, clean up after, feed, be there for all weekend. If I spend my whole day taking care of my guests directly and indirectly and then discover them out in my garden "boozing it up" as most of them were (several had hangovers at breakfast) without even a head's up (let alone permission).....I find that somewhat rude actually. Fortunately for me and the Eureka, the majority of our guests are amazing and wonderful people who trigger what is amazing and wonderful in me. You can read their reviews too.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

First, I agree with all the positive points by other reviewers. This place is amazing on several counts. It has a long and storied history and has been updated very tastefully with period pieces, fabrics, and floor coverings. One senses history on arrival. If you like feeling like you have stepped back in time, you will thoroughly enjoy this Inn.

As other reviewers have noted, the Innkeeper and the staff welcome you as though you are long lost family or friends. Want to know where to eat or visit? Just ask and you will receive generous amounts of information, history and recommendations. If you are a green living advocate, the Inn is committed to green products, healthy food choices, and cleaning procedures.

My only downside comment is that it is a little pricey partly due to the high taxes in Jonesborough, but there is a lot of value as well. We definitely plan to return and stay at the Eureka Inn.

Room Tip: We visited when it was very quiet and enjoyed a spacious room: Angeline's Room. It faced Main St...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Eureka over the summer and couldn't have been more pleased. The inn keeper was so friendly, often helping us find the hidden treasures of Jonesborough. Be aware that the building is older, so squeaky floors and small rooms are an issue. But for us the atmosphere only added to the overall experience. The only thing that gave us pause was choosing which porch to relax on in the evening--they were all so lovely!

Room Tip: The Cook's room is the best in the INN in my humble opinion.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Historic Eureka Inn? Share your experiences!