“Recently renovated? Not the room I was given.”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Kingsport
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Sleep Inn is not the chain it once was and that's sad. This hotel claims to be "recently renovated." Not the room they gave me. The AC was rusty and very old. The shower and fan were full of mold. The carpet had seen better days and so had the filthy stuffed chair. The bed was ok for one night but I wouldn't spend more than one night here and the prices are on the high side.

The staff was indifferent at best. They had a display for Free Cookies---this was once a staple at Sleep Inn, but no more! The desk clerk said they "didn't bake on Fridays." No reason given. Rates are higher but no cookies. Go figure! The breakfast was ok but nothing to write home about. All in all, I'd rate this place average or slightly below. Not horrible but not great.

And here's a general tip for Choice hotels: don't believe the reviews on their website. They heavily edit and sometimes delete the reviews they don't want to publish. They print the occasional bad review, but for honest reviews, use this site or another independent site.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank RRGUY9
Jennifer S, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

We apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. Our hotel has been partial renovated and we are completing the renovation in November. We don't mind when guests come to the desk and let us know when there is a problem so we can try to resolve the issue and satisfy the guest. I am not sure why the cookies weren't served on Friday, but I will find out. We do bake cookies Monday - Friday. Also, we do not alter our reviews. We have take pride in our hotel and we are working to make the necessary improvements. We appreciate your honest feedback and will take care of your concerns.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This dive was extremely overpriced! I knew as soon as we walked in that it was dirty but my husband was very tired and very cranky since we had been driving 13 hours. When I walked in the room, I thought about sleeping in my car but being it was July and hot I decided to wrap myself in my own blanket and try to get some sleep. The mattresses were very old and the sheets and blankets appeared to be from the 50's. The carpets were fraying and dingy. Would have been okay if you were paying 39.99 but at almost $ 80.00 it was a total rip off.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michele T
Jennifer S, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay. Our rooms had a partial renovation about two years ago and that did include the bedding, so the blankets and duvets with the bed scarf are all the new style. We have a carpet cleaning crew already scheduled to clean all carpets this month, so we are taking care of that as well. We are completing the renovation in November so we will have everything updated after that. We take pride in having a clean hotel and get complements daily, so I am sorry you feel differently about your stay. We also have the free hot breakfast included in your stay, so we hope you had a chance to enjoy that before you left. We again apologize and hope you will give us another chance after our renovations are completed.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The staff were the friendliest at any hotel I have ever stayed in. The hotel itself was clean. The beds were a little more firm than I like, but I guess that is a personal preference. It was quiet even though the hotel was nearly full. Breakfast was typical of a hotel that offers it. Waffles, sausage, eggs, cereal, etc. The only small issue was a slight musty smell from the AC. Hubby told the desk clerk when we checked out and she thanked us for letting her know and said she would make sure the filter got changed that day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teresa D
Jennifer S, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay. We appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to pass it on to the staff. We hope you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stay here every time I am in the Bristol area. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. The only real down side is the smoking rooms stink so bad that it comes out into the hall way and I could smell them in my room. The breakfast area was clean and well stocked too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Pat c
Jennifer S, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your positive response. I am glad to hear our staff is friendly. I do apologize for the smoke smell. We are in the process of cleaning all our carpets and hope by the time you come back, that it will be completed. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel about two hours before check in time. The young lady at front desk was kind enough to allow us to check in early. We had paid in advance, so check in was a breeze. We are light sleepers and the room were were given was facing the interstate, however, the room was quiet, not once were we bothered by noise Our room was on the second floor, did not even hear people above us. Breakfast the next morning was just ok for me....There were sausage rounds and eggs...eggs were bland and were the little round patty type of scrambled eggs. They did have the waffles...which I think is their only saving grace!....There was somewhat of a variety, just not my choices.... The attendant was nice and kept the breakfast area clean and well stocked. The beds were comfortable, The room was clean...It had a microwave and refrigerator in the room. Check out was easy. The hotel did have restaurants in the area..Cracker Barrel right across the street, service stations etc near by, I guess the only real complaint was the total lack of friendliness from the entire staff..it was "just a job" or so it appeared..no "enjoy your stay," no "Good morning" from front desk or no "Did you enjoy your stay"...I think overall that if your employees exhibit that they genuinely want your stay to be pleasant and that if you are happy, they will always have repeat business. I would return to this hotel as the price was good for me and overall, clean and in a safe area...Happy travels!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey. We greatly appreciate all your positive feedback. I am sorry that our staff fell short of your expectations. I will be sure to address this with them immediately. I hope you will give us another chance. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stay at a lot of Sleep Inn Suites. Find them to be newer and nicer than regular Sleep Inns. This one says Suites but the two rooms we were in were not. First room had a strong smoke smell moved to second room. Should have left but it was late and we were tried. Small room with carpet stains and frayed in several places. Bed was OK. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kwalker
Jennifer S, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

We will be doing another remodel around November, so the property will be updated. We hope you will come back and give us another try.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here on our way back to PA from Gulf Shores, AL. The property has been renovated and looks pretty nice. It is just a little back from the interstate, so it is quiet and no road noise. The bedding was OK, a little soft for my liking. There is no tub in the bathroom, just a shower--not a biggie. The door to the room with the shower and toilet was a pocket door and was hard to pull out when pushed all the way back in the wall. Had trouble finding SNL on TV and had to watch on a really bad cable channel. The thing I didn't appreciate was the ants on the breakfast bar. The top of the counter was black so I didn't see them until they crawled up the white container that held something. They were also on the table where we sat to eat. I notified the front desk and the comment was made that they spray once a month and they would probably have to spray again before that. Ugh!

Room Tip: You don't have to worry about road noise at this location. The halls were very quiet when we wer...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1976RN

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. We are taking your comments seriously and will take care of the issues. We hope to see you again in the future.