“Dirty, tiny, and ants. But thanks for the granola bars.”

Extended Stay America - Knoxville - Cedar Bluff
Ranked #59 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Raleigh, NC
“Dirty, tiny, and ants. But thanks for the granola bars.”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This "hotel" was the first stop on our big road trip this summer, and I'll admit, I was suckered in by a really cheap rate from Priceline. There's five of us (my wife and I, plus our three boys - 9, 7, and 5) and generally we can get away with an average room as long as it has two beds. When we checked in here we were told our room had one bed - a queen. I asked if there was a pullout couch or anything like that and she said no, but that I was IN LUCK because they did have a room available with two beds that they normally don't have. Sweet - I'll take it.

First lesson learned for future travelers - NO ROOM HERE CAN ACCOMMODATE MORE THAN TWO PEOPLE. I'd later check the website and try to see if I could book a room with more than two people in it, and I couldn't, no matter the date. There is another Extended Stay America in Knoxville (West Hills) that can, which I really wish we could have stayed at. But silly me - I assumed all hotels nowadays have rooms that can accommodate four people. I was wrong. So if there's more than two in your party, turn back NOW.

Anyway, we open the door and walk in and the first thing we noticed was a smell. That smell was urine. Not strong enough in the "check for puddles" way, but strong enough in the "someone peed here, cleaned it up with a towel, and we're looking into getting a shampooer sometime next week" way. This is a pet-friendly hotel, and I'm going to assume (hope) that the last person who stayed here had an excitable puppy that couldn't hold its bladder, and that person cleaned up after the puppy themselves.

Why themselves? Because the bathroom was dirty. Not "dirty" in the "at least you could have flushed!" way, but more "dirty" in the "maid looked in the bathroom, saw there wasn't blood on the floor, confirmed there was toilet paper, then went to have a cigarette" way. There was visible dirt on the tile and in the tub which was easily removed with a wet tissue, which is kind of the issue. If it was that easy to clean the tub/tile with a tissue, why wasn't it?

To the beds - two "twin" beds which were adorable in that they seemed so small I could have put them in my pocket. I'm 6'2", and I was bigger than the bed. This leads me to lesson two for future travelers: IF YOU ARE OVER SIX FOOT TALL AND TRAVELING WITH A COMPANION WHOM YOU DO NOT WANT TO SLEEP WITH, LOOK ELSEWHERE. They have queen and king rooms which I'm sure would have been good for a tall guy, but those rooms only had one bed, and no rooms there had a fold-out sofa or anything like that. We were left with people sleeping on the floor. Was that our fault? Sure - that's the risk we take using Priceline - but I'm still shocked that there are major chains that have an entire property without one room that can accommodate more than two people.

So I mentioned dirty, and I mentioned tiny - that leads me to the next morning. Putting our stuff together and getting ready to go back on the road, we noticed that we were sharing the room with several ants - some on the floor, and a few we noticed crawling up the bedsheets. Taking that as our sign to go, the family packed into the car and I went to check out and grab us our "grab and go" breakfast. I told the clerk about the ant issue in the room and he cheerfully told me that they would "call Orkin" and thanked me for informing him of the issue, but that was it. I shrugged and turned to find the "grab and go" breakfast table consisted of a table about the size of a dresser crammed with coffee, granola bars, oatmeal, and oatmeal bars. I grabbed a fistfull of granola bars and got in my car, hoping to never be stuck in an Extended Stay America again.

Room Tip: Do not go with more than two people in your group unless you get multiple rooms. Do not get the 2 t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wake Forest, NC
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Location was fine but the place was HORRIBLE! It smelled like urine… like the way my kids bathroom does since the 3 boys have bad aim. I mean, the bathroom was cleaned quickly. Toilet was fine and all but the tub, I could take a wet tissue and just graze over a dirt spot and it came right off meaning it wasn’t actually cleaned. There were areas on the tile that were gross and came right up too. EWW! Beds were less than comfortable but I wouldn’t know. Cole & I slept on the floors. We probably shouldn’t as I woke up slightly itchy and we learned there were ants (even crawling up and around the beds (on the top of the mattresses). EWW! We got out as quick as we could in the morning. Wasn’t worth being there one second longer. Worse place to stay! I get chills thinking about it. Great! Now, I’m itchy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MommaBay
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 August 2013

When we checked in they didn't have the dbl bed room I had reserved, the put us in 2 single bed rooms which was great and only charged me for one room, wish they had just left us in the 2 single rooms. Then we were told that we would be given an end room with queen or king size beds in them for I and my Son who are both over 6'1. That did not happen as the folks in the larger room decided at the last min to stay longer, so they stuck us in a smoking room (I reserved a non-smoking originally) with full size beds with the one bed pushed right next to the HVAC unit and the bed was always cold and blocked the rest of the room from cooling down if it was not set to high (62-63) A/C, broken bathroom door, broken rails in the Refrigerator, and clogged tub drain. I am a Active Duty Air Force member who was PCS'd/Transferred to Knoxville, TN and needed a inexpensive place to stay for me and my Son for 30-45 days till we could buy a home and move in, I guess in the end for me I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: spend the extra money and stay at TownePlace Suites Knoxville Cedar Bluff or Residence Inn Knoxville...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Cobden, Il
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My son had previously stayed at this facility while doing a week long interview for a new job. We spent one night there in June when we were moving furniture to his new apartment. My third floor room did not cool down until early morning. Loud unit ran all night. However the room was clean and would be great for tradesmen working for more than a day in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manager_11525, Front Office Manager at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - Cedar Bluff, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Rose - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the air conditioner was not functioning properly. To prevent this from happening again, my team is inspecting the units in our rooms to verify that they are operating to full potential.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at kcb@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future. We hope your son is enjoying his new job!
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The place was literally my home for a month. The staff was great and the property was well kept. If you are a long term business guest or even a transient business guest this property will suit you. Again I can't mention how great the staff was, from the managers to the front desk agents there. I would recommend this place!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - Cedar Bluff, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Soon - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the staff at our hotel. We are so glad that we were able to provide you with a "home away from home" experience for the month you stayed with us.

Cornelia, Georgia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Property is well maintained. Staff is great, rooms always clean and well furnished. I have stayed at this property a number of times over the years. The staff has always been friendly and knowlegable, obviously well trained. It is a great location near good restaurants and easy to access from the interstate.

Room Tip: Get Signature Room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Louisville, TN
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The reason I say it was a surprise is because I didn't think I would enjoy my stay no matter what. My bathroom at HOME had water damage and I needed a hotel to stay at while it was fixed. I was not thinking I would like being away from home, but the staff was AWESOME. They were all so kind and friendly. They actually remembered why I was there and asked how the construction was going every time I saw them. The room was super clean, quiet, and relaxing. I will have no problem recommending this hotel to my in-laws who come stay here in Knoxville a couple times a year. So yes it was a pleasant surprise and made the whole home construction issue easy to deal with. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
cripley, Owner at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - Cedar Bluff, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again. if you need anything please feel free to contact me @ lsettlemyer@extendedstay.com Thanks