“Beware!!!!! Do Not Stay”

Red Roof Inn Knoxville North - Merchants Drive
Ranked #57 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
Decatur, Tennessee
“Beware!!!!! Do Not Stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

First of all, my husbands company stays here when they are in town for business. BIG BIG MISTAKE! We decided not to go here since its now a relax inn. Few reasons.... First we visited my husbands friend last night who is staying here. When I walked in.... The smell of a in process cooking meth lab in the works! The lights were falling off the wall. The fart fan in bathroom did Not work. And thank god they were there. I went to use bathroom, the damned door knob fell off and they had to get me out! There were nudie pics in the bathroom vent that fell out along with CRACK pipes. I asked for a rate cause their sign says walk in specials! DON'T BE FOOLED!! I asked for a rate with 2 adults, and a dog. They are pet friendly, but get this.... I could have a daily rate with my dog, but am not allowed to be there for a week while they are working with my dog! BIG MISTAKE OF A HOTEL,!!!! People, you can go to the motel 6 for same price,not the amenities, but friendlier people, and pets stay free. The rooms aren't a five star,but a hell of a lot better than this red roof inn which is now a RELAX INN. PEOPLE BEWARE!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
ANN ARBOR
Reviewed 4 June 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. THIS IS NOT A REAL RED ROOF INN IT IS A INDEPENDENTLY OWNED MOTEL THAT WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY. My boyfriend and I stayed 1 night and they charged me an extra $50 for smoking in a non smoking room. neither one of us smoke. When I called to get it taken care of they told me to come back in the morning and talk to the manager. The next morning I called the manger. He hung up on me twice and yelled at me over the phone and wouldn't take my number. DO NOT STAY THERE. while we were getting ready to leave the hotel they called us to make sure we were leaving. I'VE NEVER HAD A MOTEL TO DO THAT.

Also our alarm clock turned off in the middle of the night and our bathroom light stopped working also.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

If you have read my reviews you know I tend to be very fair and generally kind. This is a dank mildew smelling horrific place. Walking across the carpet in your bear feet is not recommended. I travel with a group that is always trying to save a dollar and this time it is a huge error in judgement. Do not stay here even
if it is free. Do not encourage them. This place needs to be leveled to the ground and start from scratch. In the past year I have stayed in more than 340 hotel rooms. This place is in the running as the worst possible.

• Stayed May 2013
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Great Staff!! Spend a couple of days in Knoxville with my family and since I'm not really to familiar with the area, I had to ask the desk clerk for help periodically. He was outstanding at providing directions as well as dinner choices for my family. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the price was even better. However the breakfast could use a little touch up. Suggest: fruit or yogurt. But definitely enjoy our stay. We will be staying here when we are in Knoxville.

Location was convient, in a very developed area however really quiet at night, plus many restaurants in the area

Room Tip: Stayed in a ground floor room, facing Apple Bee's
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank John K
Cleveland
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I had a much better experience than some of these reviews suggest; we spent one night while on the road traveling home from Florida (Knoxville is about halfway). We have pretty low expectations for "freeway motels" and usually use the coupon books you find at rest areas to get the lowest rate -- this is just a place to sleep for 8 hours until we can drive again, not a "vacation" -- and we have a dog with us, limiting our options even more.

We've stayed at some very marginal motels. So it is nice to be able to say that this Red Roof in (off Merchant's Dr. Exit 108) was well above average -- clean, VERY friendly nice staff, pleasant room, comfortable bed.

We DID get a king bed, non-smoking room, adequate Wi-Fi and cable -- a fridge and microwave and coffeemaker. It was clean and pleasant and surprisingly quiet, considering how close to busy Merchants Drive it is.

It was an "easy off, easy on" location just blocks from I-75, and there is an exceptional selection of restaurants and other services -- we had an Applebee's practically in our lap, and a Puleo's (good local eatery) across the street. But we choose to eat at a 50s drive in (also across the street) that was quick and very affordable and good.

The last couple trips we made along this route, frankly we stayed in some just awful motels -- I mean here, "Bates' Motel" quality -- dirty, holes in the wall. I was beginning to think we'd have to raise our price point to get something that wasn't creepy -- but this Red Roof Inn was not only an affordable $39.99 (with no annoying add-ons) BUT they let one pet stay FREE....this is a $10 savings for us right off the bat.

There is a decent enough free breakfast, with coffee, juice, waffles, cereal and (best of all) fresh bagels with cream cheese and these are another real savings for budget traveller.

Lastly: we found a lost dog (someone else's) in the parking lot, thinking it was a stray we captured the poor creature (no collar or tags). The night manager, seeing me running around the parking lot, called to see if we had a problem (very thoughtful), then FOUND the dog's owner so we were not stuck trying to do something with the poor thing at 6AM before we had to hit the road. (Happy ending: his owner was in another suite and very relieved to get his lost dog back!)

In short: next time we are on I-75, we will seek out this particular Red Roof Inn again! Recommended.

Room Tip: There is a pool (though not much good in the winter) and the rooms facing the pool rather than the p...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laurel F
i0692, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Knoxville North - Merchants Drive, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Knoxville North. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Positive guest feedback, like yours, is always an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerly,
Tim Lamb
Guest Service Manager
O'Brien, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Was a real nice motel. Prefect location. Room 102, was in the back and easy exist to room. Looked like they are beginning updating the rooms. Was comfortable. The breakfast was pitiful. Could use some fruit. The service was great, she was very helpful and accommodating. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Plan on eating breakfast out.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank StandTall460
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I travel for a living and mostly stay at Red Roofs all across the United States. I'm a redicard holder and typically have zero complaints. The location is good with several eating establishments within easy walking. The person at the front desk quoted me the same price for Friday & Saturday but said the rate was lower for Sunday night which is the norm. I pay day to day as I'm on call 24 hours a day and may have to relocate due to work (expediter). I called desk Saturday night to confirm the Sunday rate and was again given the lower rate by a different person. Went down Sunday morning and the manager on duty tried to charge me thd higher rate and argued with me. Very unprofessional in appearance and conduct. Rooms are not updated as are other Red Roofs. Carpets not cleaned in days. The juice machine wasn't working and the coffee was like water. It was only 8:00 and the bagels and bread were al gone and the waffle maker was filty. Upon checking out I was looking under bed to make sure I wasn't forgetting something and saw 2 used condoms, 4 empty beer cans and Burger King bag. I'll be calling corporate headquarters a.d having a discussion.

• Stayed December 2012