“mixed bag-work in progress”

Econo Lodge Inn And Suites East
Ranked #66 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
Memphis, Tennessee
“mixed bag-work in progress”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We got sent over to the Econo Lodge from the Quality Inn across the road because the Quality was "booked solid" despite a completely empty parking lot.

On the outside, Econo Lodge is very pretty. Our room was adequate with two very hard king sized beds. There were huge water stains in the carpet eminating from the bathroom, the toilet had water around it, water stains on the ceiling, mildew and rust on the ceiling in the bathroom. Yet the bathtub was a killer deep new tub, very alluring. The shower head was for crap. The ice machine was out when we arrived, the fridge in our room did not work the first night. The breakfast bar had run out of food because the truck that made their deliveries was a no show that day. Our door was very particular about accepting our key cards (meaning it usually didn't).

The staff gets top stars, though. Just about everyone working there looked like they were under 30, were all extremely helpful and friendly, as well as apologetic for all the problems. One of the times our door wouldn't work, one of the staff was walking up towards us and helped us in our room. It was amazingly quiet, considering how busy the exit off I-40 was. Every business can have a bad day.

They offer a nightly dinner, something I've never heard of before. Everyone has a breakfast bar these days, but dinner? Okay, so chili or hot dogs isn't haute cuisine, but hey, it was fun and a nice touch.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TnTravlr901
jennifer_econolodge, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn And Suites East, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your review! I appreciate the compliments & will pass them along to those who deserve them! As for the complaints...I am truly sorry that you didn't have a completely wonderful stay. We have recently been going through all of the rooms & addressing all issues so that each & every one is as clean & comfortable as possible & hope that if you ever stay with us again you will be pleasantly surprised by the hard work that is hopefully evident & by the efforts of a great staff that is determined to provide the best possible room & lodging experience that we can to our guests!
Jennifer Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 7 May 2013

my wife and I have been in the room since saturday and will be staying till thusday when back on the road. the rooms are clean and ground are nice, so is the staff, the staff has helped my wife and my with all our needs, the breakfast in good and so is the night dinner

Room Tip: up stairs room in the back side are the quieter beds are high quality free breakfast and the din...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank xancotrucking
Thank you very much for your kind review! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay & though I know you would prefer to be on the road working we hope that you visit us again someday...maybe this time for a vacation:-)!
-Jennifer Johnson
Front Desk Manager
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Positives: We had a non-smoking room with 2 queen beds for 2 nights on March 14 and 15, 2013. It looked like the outside of the hotel had just recently been painted. Very nice and clean exterior. The walls and ceiling in our room looked very nice and clean. The tub enclosure and sink area were in great shape. The room was extremely clean. This included the bathroom area. The room included a coffee pot, refrigerator, TV, microwave, iron and hair dryer. We only used the hair dryer which worked just fine. The price was very reasonable for this room. The 2 employees that we interacted with were very pleasant and professional.
Neutrals: The beds were just so-so as far as comfort. Not the worst, but not too great either.
Negatives: The carpet looked pretty new along the edges of the walls, but was very badly stained. I am guessing this was because the hotel accepts pets. The stains looked like problems that has been cleaned but would not come out completely. Both of the teenagers who stayed with us in the room thought that the room was "dirty" and the entire hotel was "skanky" because of this one problem. The tub was not draining properly, but the management was glad to say they would fix the problem, unfortunetly it was not happening untill after we left.
I would stay here again (but I think I would get a hassle from the 2 teens).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
tn131, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn And Suites East, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We strive to provide a comfortable and enjoyable experience for each of our guests, anticipating the needs and fulfilling them on every occasion. It is through feed back such as yours that we are able to fine-tune our operation to better serve our guests.
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Truly by far the best motel and one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at! They offer services that nicer hotels make you pay extra for, and this one is nice. The nicely decorated, clean-smelling room had a hair dryer, small microwave, and the largest fridge I have ever seen in a hotel. This was all included in the price. The beds were comfortable. Pillows could have been better. Large sink area that I felt was very handicap accessible. The tv was not very secure, but the tv itself was fine! Also, one of the lamp's plugs was hanging out of the socket, and the alarm clock was not plugged in and had to be set, but that does save electricity. Breakfast was okay, scrambled eggs would have been nice (they had hard-boiled ones which was interesting). Scary toilets- very slow to flush, I was afraid there may be a flood, but there wasn't. Free wireless internet that worked great too! Staff was nice. All was included in the price which was about $60. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MicMC_13
I just wanted to take this time to personally thank you for writing a review for your recent visit to the Econo Lodge Inn & Suites. Your opinion is very important to us. We are constantly striving to make the best guest experiences and thank you for comments
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed on 11/25/2012

I found the room to be clean and comfortable. the bed was firm, but comfortable. I didn't smell anything in particular in the room. the staff
was nice and helpfull. there was an internet connection, but it was extreamly slow! there was a nice lobby with a couch and chairs, which
came in handy because a friend came to visit that lives in the area and
I didn't want to visit in my room, so we stayed in the lobby and visited.

I thought the room heater was noisy, but I just turned it off after the room
got warm and it stayed warm enough all night. I could hear noise from
the freeway, but it didn't keep me from sleeping. There were not any
people hanging out outside partying, and I didn't hear any banging of doors. No one bothered my car.

the continental breakfast was good. they had a waffel maker, fresh fruit, juice, cereal, muffins, boiled eggs and yogurt.

The only problem I had, was when I checked in they handed me a peice of paper that said the room was 55 dollars. when I checked out they said the room was $79! Well first they said there was tax added to that, plus they had mistakenly added a pet charge when I did not have a pet.

they took the $10 pet charge off, but I still had to pay taxes. I still feel like they were a little dishonest about the charges.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sandrasomething
jennifer_econolodge, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn And Suites East, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your review...your comments help us to improve our guest experience which we hope is always a great one! I have let the front desk know to state the room rate plus tax when quoting prices so that this hopefully doesn't happen again! I apologize for the inconvenience & hope that whenever you are travelling to Tennessee that you will keep us in mind!
Jennifer Johnson
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 4 August 2012

There was such a heavy smell of smoke in our room that all of our clothing was ruined with a smoky smell after we stayed here, only one night. I would have complained but I was so tired after a long drive, I had to sleep, which ended up being difficult to do because the bed was not comfortable and the smell was really bad. Was it clean? Perhaps, but it felt kind of grungy, there were a few sightings of food-crumb-type things on the floor, and it had kind of musty smell along with the horrible smoke smell, which was just awful. Also, be aware that this is a motor lodge, the kind of room with a door that opens directly outside and the room needs a make-over. The free breakfast was disappointing; the area was clean and well tended, but the breakfast offerings were minimal and just not very good. The people who worked there were nice and the price was relatively much lower than other lodging choices in this area, but a slightly lower price should not equal awful smoke-smell in a room and sub-par breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a smoke free room unless you love terrible smoky smell
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
tn131, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn And Suites East, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to hear of the difficulties you experienced. Please accept my sincere apologies for these shortcomings.
As for the breakfast, by providing waffles, two types of cereal, biscuit/gravy, fruit, boiled eggs, two types of bread and juice, donuts/muffins, and milk we far exceed the requirements of Choice Hotels International. As an Econo Lodge, we are only required to provide one pastry, one non-sweet bread, orange juice, coffee, butter and jelly.
Again, I greatly appreciate your bringing the issues to my attention. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call me.
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Had full cable, fast internet, and soft beds. Rooms were very nice, only complaint was there wasn't anything to do nearby.

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn And Suites East, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are glad that you had a great stay at the Econo Lodge Knoxville East. We take pride in our ability to make sure you have a problem free stay.

I thank you for the opportunity to be of service and look forward to being of assistance again on your next trip to East Tennessee.