“Poorly trained employees=one time customer”

Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 20 April 2013

We visit Knoxville regularly and stay at the Strawberry Plains exit almost always. We usually stay at the wonderful Hampton Inn but a last minute trip found the Hampton sold out. We defaulted to the HIE but won't make that mistake again. First, our reservation rate was $3 less than the rate we saw at check in. Not a big deal, but a glimpse of things to come as our $110 rate was not honored. Next, at midnight while preparing to get to bed we discover the king sheet on our bed is so worn, you can see your hand through this thin, thread bare sheet. A call to the front desk clerk advises us that we have to come get the sheet as there is no one available. I redress and go to the desk. Returning to our room, I discover I've been given a queen sheet for a king bed. I return to the desk, get another sheet--another queen! I finally succeed in getting the right size and go back and remake my own bed. Morning after, we discover huge patch of mold growing on the shower curtain. Day #2, no water pressure on 3rd floor and no bath mat left when the room is cleaned.

Why do I suggest training is the core problem here? Not once for any of these issues did anyone apologize. That folks is a training issue. Otherwise friendly employees without the appropriate training are simply not going to manage a service recovery opportunity correctly.

WE WON'T RETURN!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank randyk164
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you so much for your recent review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand that there were some issues that inconvenienced you. . The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our housekeeping department and have been addressed. While the lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel! We are sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance this incident caused.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains

Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed here on a long drive across the country. We arrived at 2AM and staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and easy. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was typical Holiday Inn food but my grandson loved the pancake machine and ate two so they must have been good. We requested second floor rooms and I am glad we did because the hotel was packed and the elevator was sl-o-o-o-o-w, especially on the way to breakfast when housekeeping was using it too.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

We hope you enjoyed your drive across country and it is good to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us at the Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains. Thank you for such a nice review.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We started out with a reservation at the Comfort Suites at this exit. (we relied on the reviews) The hotel was not what we expected so we quickly checked out of it and RAN across the street to the Holiday Inn Express. We could not have seen Night and Day any clearer. Thank you Holiday Inn Express for having a room available for us at the last minute. Your staff was truly a life saver. -- Puleos is a great restaurant, we enjoyed dinner, but head back over to the Holiday Inn Express when youre done.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

I am so glad we were able to get you your room at the last minute and it is nice to hear our staff was of great help to you. I hope you will be able stay with us again soon. Thank you for your great review.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed just one night in a standard king room. Check in was quick and easy. Front desk lady was very sweet and polite. I loved the paint, furniture and large flat screen TV. Bed, not so much. Too firm for me, but others like a firm bed. There was a negative though, kindof a small one. Out of all of the things that couldve been, it wasnt horrible...just not good. I was waiting to get on the elevator around 8 in the morning to go down for coffee. A lady was standing next to me talking on the phone. Since I was already having to listen to her conversation, I didnt really want to make eye contact. Then I noticed she worked there. I looked at her nametag and saw that she was head housekeeper. I work in the hospitality industry. You dont talk on the phone in front of guests, they dont need to hear about your personel stuff. When the door opened, she walked right in front of me. She cut me off to get on. Rude. I'm guessing this lady does NOT lead by example. Other than that, I had no other contact with the staff. I asked and was given a late check out, which was much appreciated. Nice location off the interstate. We would definitely stay again if we ever had to be in that area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our housekeeping department and have been addressed. We would also like to thank you for all the nice things you mentioned about our hotel and hope we will be able to host you on your next visit to our area. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Fantastic location. Convenient to Gatlinburg and Knoxville. Very quiet. Indoor pool is great. We arrived early in the evening and were able to enjoy the pool all to ourselves, loved the opportunity to have a relaxing evening. Small area off the lobby has a big TV and comfy couches for guests. Hotel staff very casual and professional. You will feel very welcome.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

We love to make our guests feel "welcome" here at the Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains. Thank you so much for your nice review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Well lets see, where do I start? I stayed here a few nights ago due to bad weather in the area and I must say that I was disappointed. We are priority club members (not that it matters at this hotel) Upon arrival I was not greeted by the front desk. It was clear that he wanted to be somewhere other than at work. I was quoted a price, checked in and given my keys. I did not receive any extras for my PC, no bottle of water, snack or goody bag that I am use to getting, not even a "have a good stay" so up to my room I went. Elevator is super slow, room was decent size and the bedding was clean which is more than I can say for the rest of the room. Dust everywhere...in the bathroom there were small little hairs all over one side of the sink. (looked like shavings from an electric razor) Housekeeping REALLY needs to be retrained. There is an exerise room, indoor pool and free breakfast but I did not use any of these features. I did use the business center to read the online news which worked fine.
The best part of the whole stay was the bed. It was clean and comfy so I did get a good nite sleep. Stopped at the front desk to check out the next morning and it was left unattended for several minutes. Finally, a housekeeper came around the corner and said I could just leave the keys on the counter.
I will not recommend and most likely will not stay again. There are several other hotels at this exit and I will try one of them next time. I just like to use HIE to earn reward points.

pros- bed

cons-everything else but mostly staff and housekeeping

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I always utilize feedback like yours for staff training purposes and will make certain our team understands that such treatment of guests will not be tolerated! Please know your comments are taken very seriously and will be acted upon immediately.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is a great facility in a great location. My husband, cocker spaniel and I have stayed here around 10 times on our trips to North Carolina. The rooms are clean and well appointed with comfortable beds. They ARE pet friendly, they don't just say they are. It is very clean and quiet and the breakfast is very good.
The only negative is the over-use lately of room freshener. The rooms reek of a Febreeze type smell, and if it gives me a headache, my dog must really hate it. I am unsure if they are doing that to cover up pet smells or if the management thinks it smells good, but i wish they would use less..That said, I do think this is a good hotel and will remain our headquarters on our way to North Carolina.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Knoxville Strawberry Plains, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

 We always enjoy hearing from our return guests! Thank you for posting such a pleasant review.