“Superb Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Louisville, Kentucky
“Superb Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Some people may want to pass this up because it's a little out of the way. It's not close to downtown Knoxville (about a 15 minute drive) and it's not close to the Smokies (the "Smokies exit" is nearly 10 miles away). However, being "in between" makes it perfect when you want to visit both the Smokies and Knoxville, and the prices are far less than staying "close" in either spot.

The staff is very attentive and accommodating. Having stayed here numerous times before I knew they don't have an elevator (2-story hotel), so I asked for a room on the ground floor because I have asthma and can't walk up and down steps repeatedly. The clerk said they didn't have a room on the ground floor like the one I had booked, so she upgraded me to a suite at no extra charge.

The room is huge, with two TVs, a large bathroom, mini-fridge & microwave. The wi-fi works (that is significant, considering how many hotels I've stayed in where that was not the case). My only complaint is the bed is "too hard," but that's an issue because I prefer softer mattresses. They have a nicely-stocked breakfast area with an assortment of fruit, cereal, juices and hot & cold food (a far cry from other Red Roofs that have little more than coffee and mini-donuts). The facility is 100% non-smoking, and they have rocking chairs on the front porch (apparently this used to be a Country Inn).

The only other issue is the road where the entrance/exit to the hotel is located in a hairpin curve that doesn't have a good line of sight to see if anything's coming in the opposite direction.

I'm in Knoxville quite often on business and this is my preferred hotel.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Knoxville East, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Karen R,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your thoughts and concerns about the hotel. We are sorry for any inconvenience that your concerns caused you. We use all guest feedback to allow us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. We are so glad that you stayed with us, and that we could accommodate you. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Red Roof Inn & Suites Knoxville East

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Las Vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We were headed across the country heading back home and booked this hotel. Everything was OK but not extraordinary, it was a place to stay for the night. We did get a free breakfast and the people were very friendly. Would stay again. Very close to restaurants and gas.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Knoxville East, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear scbg,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. Thank you so much for staying with us. Guest feedback is very important to us. We strive as a hotel to provide a safe, clean, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Cumming, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Delicious Free breakfast includes oatmeal, waffles, biscuits & gravy, sausage, toast, bagels, cereals. Quiet rooms and amazingly oversized suites with fridge/microwave. Very friendly staff-Sam the manager is so accomodating, Stephanie was really sweet and checked us in really quick. Truly great prices. Wonderful pool area but wish they didnt cement in the hot tub.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear GAhometown,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback. We will pass your comments on to Sam, and Stephanie. They will appreciate hearing good comments. We are so glad you stayed with us. We are glad that we could accommodate you. Thank you for your concerns about the hot tub area. We always appreciate guest feedback.. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Great stay at a great price! Even though our first night was a little tough one to endure we did and it was a great stay. During the night (starting 1 a.m. thru 4 a.m.) the temperature control panel's battery went dead and it caused the air to shut off. My wife noticed it at 1 I didn't realize this until 2, but fortunately I had just bout some batteries for my camera and the same size worked for this panel. After changing the batteries out myself, the unit still did not kick back on. I called down to the front desk to let them know what was going on and the young lady on duty tried her best to help me out with it but she only knew so much to do so I didn't get it started back. The young lady did bring me up a fan to try to help the situation but I also told her to make mention of this to the daytime manager so that they could look at it in the morning. After I laid back down around 2:45, it hit me that the panel must have some type of reset button it! So I got back out of my bed, found that button and reset the unit so that it would act as it should and everything was all good after that. When morning came I talked to the daytime manger and he started the conversation with me about it and in the end, I did not have to pay for that night's stay!
I slept like a baby the remaining 3 nights of my stay. The breakfast was great, just missing some scrambled eggs! The staff was great, courteous, and very pleasant to my enitire family. Great location! Just a 20 minute drive from Downtown Knoxville, and there are a lot of restuarants around the hotel to enjoy, plus shopping pleasure isn't far away either!

Room Tip: Get a suite for plenty of room! They aren't that much more!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Knoxville East, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear dneal,

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay. We are so very sorry about your first night. We are sorry for the inconvenience that it caused you. We hope that giving you your first night made up for that. Thank you for allowing us to make the situation better for you. Thank you for your feedback. Guest feedback allows us to make the necessary changes to our hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time.

Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I was originally going to stay at the Quality Inn next door, but after previewing a room there in person and saying "Yuck!", I decided to check out Red Roof Inn & Suites (East Knoxv.) next door to the Quality Inn. I ended up booking a room at Red Roof, located on the first floor. However, things didn't go so smoothly after that. I was in Knoxville to attend a music event, and needed to get my things into the room, relax, and then shower, change clothes, and head out to the music venue. But the room was soooo uncomfortably hot -- and stayed hot. I put the A/C on at full blast, and even after TWO hours, the room was still stuffy and uncomfortable! It wasn't pumping out much cold air. It was colder in the public hallway than in my room! I went to call the front desk, and the phone in my room didn't work either. I checked the wall plug, the phone plug, the receiver -- nothing worked. When I went to the front desk to complain about these issues, the female desk clerk said "Well, no one else has complained about the A/C in that room, for the past 2 months..." Uh, wrong answer, lady! Rude. (Rule #1 of customer service: "The customer is always right" and Rule #2 "Service is the FIRST word in Customer Service" -- but perhaps she never learned that??) She didn't care that the room phone was dead either. And there was NO other room to switch to ("we're going to be fully booked tonight"). She was also having trouble keeping up with all the phone calls coming in and walk-in customers. I gave up and just kept the room. Oh, did I mention that my room had a scenic view of......the noisy outside air conditioner master unit? Ironic. The tv was a non flat-screen, too small for the room, and with a bad picture/reception, needs updating. The bed was only ok. There were some good things: the price was right (nice and low), the place has an indoor pool, and a whirlpool (I didn't have time to use them, just peeked in there at them). I didn't try the breakfast, as I was up too late the night before, and elected to sleep in. They have a large breakfast room, and it looked clean and well-stocked (I looked in there as I was checking out). Looks like a good array of foods for breakfast, and a clean and well-maintained area. They were nice enough to grant me a late checkout. The room was well-insulated and QUIET -- even considering that I was right near the ice machine, a main back entrance to the building, the hallway to the pool, and the snack machines. I couldn't hear the neighbors much at all. The next day's desk clerk was much kinder and was sorry for my disappointing stay and attempted to make up for it, although he was not at the main desk when I got there -- a maid was watching over the desk and said "he's at the bank, he'll be right back". That just seemed weird and rather unprofessional, in my opinion. I'm honestly not sure that I would book here again, based on the bad customer service and the problems with the room.

Room Tip: Be sure to preview your room in person, first!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Front Desk Girl was very attentive to all our needs even after we bugged her for everything from towels to toothbrushes and a trashbag....she was wonderful and went above and beyond the call of her job to help us feel comfortable.(Stephanie)
The breakfast was hot and hit the spot..the Man working was alittle rude with us since we had loud kids playing in the parking lot but we looked over him.
We will be back again to this Hotel very clean and the people are awesome!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Knoxville East, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Big Pretty,
Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. Thank you for telling us about your interaction with our employees. Guest feedback is very important to us. We use guest feedback to help us make the necessary improvements to our hotel to make it better for you and for future guests to the area. Thanks again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

This was a very nice, quiet, and clean hotel. Wireless internet worked well and the breakfast was very good. Much more than I was expecting out of an 'economy' hotel.

I would give this a five-star rating, except that the person working at the front desk quoted me the regular rate rather than the AAA discount I requested (she confirmed that this was the AAA rate, even though I knew it was not). I had to call the Red Roof Inn reservation line to book the room at the AAA rate.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Knoxville East, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear thephantom777,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We are so sorry for the inconvenience with the booking issues. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate all guest feedback. it allows us to make improvements to our service, for you and for future guests to our hotel. Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.