“Sunsphere”
Review of Sunsphere Tower

Sunsphere Tower
Ranked #8 of 206 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Owner description: 300 foot tower built for the 1982 World's Fair.
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had to visit the Sunsphere while in Knoxville. I was 6 when we went to the World's Fair and wanted to see it again. Nice views from the observation deck. Little bit of a walk from parking.

1  Thank KarlaKS

Reviewed 7 October 2013

It's free. That's important. I would have wanted my money back if I had paid. It didn't take me long to visit the whole area, including the park. That's good. I would be no more than an hour to see it all.

The elevator has about 8 floors listed. There's no way to tell which floor is the observation deck. I took the elevator from floor 4, which seemed a little strange, but there were floors below me, so I guessed it was ok. The next floor (5) turned out to be the observation deck, but I pressed the highest floor I could. The buttons to floors 6 and 8 just don't light up, so you don't know if you activated the elevator or not. Floor 7 was the highest I could activate, so I went there only to have the doors open to what appeared to be an office with nobody there. They could do so much better by marking the floors in the elevator. How much would that cost?

The observation deck does allow for a good view, but since the glass is gold on the outside, it's tinted and seems dusty. Also, there are lines going across the glass, probably seams, that impede the view. It's not suitable for pictures.

There are some interesting artifacts up there and some pictures and plaques, but not a lot. You'll blow through that in about 15 minutes.

I really think they're missing a chance to make this a real attraction. They'd have to put some money into it and maybe charge a few dollars, but if they made it possible to take pictures and got more history (like the circumstances around building it) it might be good. They should also put more effort into easy parking and perhaps some retail and food.

If you have about an hour, you can check it out. Now that I've been there, I'm not going back unless it's been altered.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Sunsphere tower is an historical icon, a symbol of Knoxville's World Fair in 1982. It's in the heart of downtown and the elevator ride is free to the top. Being close to 20 stories tall, you get a panoramic view of the city of Knoxville. There's also a little cafe where you can get a bite to eat. Probably not the most exciting thing you'll ever do, but a fun little diversion nonetheless.

2  Thank Edward J
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Lovely views all over the city. No charge for going up the tower. Easy to get to from car park. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had some time and decided to visit. It was pretty cool to experience for a few minutes but otherwise I wouldn't have cared if I missed out.