“IMHO, I see no reason to choose this hotel over another in the area.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Knoxville East
Ranked #32 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Peculiar, Missouri
“IMHO, I see no reason to choose this hotel over another in the area.”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I have had very good luck with La Quinta before, but my luck definitely ran out at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Strawberry Plains in Knoxville, TN.

Arrived very late at night after a 13-hour drive. Instead of walking into a well-lit and welcoming lobby I was diverted by the locked lobby doors into a small alcove featuring the same accommodations one finds at all-night gas stations or a small banks in very bad parts of town.

The last time I had to speak with a hotel night clerk through a bulletproof partition was...never.

Upon confirming my reservation and being issued my room card, I was instructed to exit the building and re-enter via a side door.

The last time I was instructed to enter a hotel through a side door was...never.

Cannot tell you anything about the lobby. When I left the property later that morning I exited the same way I entered.

There were no unpleasant smells in the hallways, and only a few discolorations on the hall carpeting. The elevator had an unnerving tendency to drop an inch or two (with an accompanying "clunk") before the mechanism caught up with the carriage. If I seem to be nit-picking then you have discerned my actual intent.

The room was spacious with the usual appointments. Unfortunately the temperature selector knob on the wall-mounted air conditioner (such as one would find in a standard Motel 6) was broken, there was obvious water damage to the wall to the right and below the aforementioned A/C unit, the carpeting in the corner below the ironing board looked like it had never seen the business end of a vacuum cleaner, there was a large hole in the wall adjacent to the bathroom, and there was a long black hair on top of the toilet in the bathroom <shudder>.

However, the bedding was clean, the mattress acceptable, and the flat screen TV large enough to see without propping your neck in an unnatural angle. The carpeting was not exactly pristine, but I have seen worse. There were no obtrusive noises of any kind (plumbing, mechanical, neighbors, etc.). The shower was hot, the towels adequate. I did not use the coffee maker, microwave, or refrigerator. I was, however, charged for a room safe that I did not even know I had.

"Breakfast" @ 6:30 AM was interesting. Bare minimum fare, although the dozen or so screaming/climbing/crying children in the breakfast area seemed to enjoy it. Either that or they were just annoyed at being awake @ 6:30 AM.

Parking was adequate for cars, SUVs and standard light trucks. If you drive a Crew Cab or anything larger you will have to maneuver carefully. Vehicles with trailers may have to park off-property. There is a Pilot Travel Center (a full-on truck stop) nearby, as well as several minor league restaurants. When I departed I looked longingly at the Best Western Plus across the way.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We have stayed there before but this time it was horrible our room smelled like wet dogs the carpet was so dirty my socks were black from the carpet pet stains all over. Someone had ripped the no smoking sign off and smelled like smoke guess they blew it out the window since they were open. Disgusting also had a lower rate would not honor said the were booked so no good.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sandyjohnd
Woodstock
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My son and I checked into this hotel on Sunday March 10. We were on a week long mountain biking trip and chose this location specifically because it had a pool and hot tub. We checked in and noticed the hot tub was not working. I inquired at the front desk and they informed me that they would have management look into it the next morning.
I inquired the next night because when we returned from mountain biking I noticed it still wasnt fixed. Front desk staff informed me that they would have management look into it the next day. Tuesday I spoke to Management who assured me they would look into right away. Tuesday night it still wasnt fixed. Wednesday morning I was told they would for sure make the call today. Again nothing was done. By Thursday I was quite angry. Not only because the hot tub wasnt working and I specifically chose this location because of the service but also because for 4 days I have been passed off and lied to repeatedly. (Not good customer service in my opinion). On Thursday I spoke to front desk staff who told me nothing has been done and I dont think they are going to. I was to check out in 2 days and am now being told it wont be up and running?? If they had been honest in the first place I could have cancelled my reservation and gone to one of the MANY other hotels in the area. I believe they chose to lie to me in order to keep my business knowing full well they had no intentions of fixing it. So at that point I asked for a refund. I was told that the front desk staff couldn't authorize this and I would have to deal with the manager who of course when asked for was NEVER in.
My wife placed an email for me on Friday March 15th explaining the situation. Our hope was that someone could fix this concern while I was still at the hotel.
We received a return email promptly asking for more details (name, confirmation number etc). My wife replied with those details. We didnt hear anything further that day. My wife also sent some emails through the facebook page.
I checked out March 16 and we had heard nothing further.
On March 19th we emailed to inquire on the status of our complaint. I received a phone call within a few hours of that email. The lady that called with LQ management expressed her sincere apologies and told me they wanted to make this situation right. They told me I would receive a refund for 1 nights stay as well as a future nights stay at any LQ location for free. I still felt more should be done for me but accepted as I realized this was the best I was likely to get. I was pleased with their response and remedy.

Today is now May 26th and I have received NEITHER the refund or the free nights stay. All email and facebook messages are going unanswered.

I have emailed 19 times in the past 2 weeks. My final email was Friday and I was honest and said by Sunday I would be forced to leave negative comments and involve the BBB. I tried to be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt but this is unacceptable. With today's day and age and how many hotel chains exist you would think a company would have the willingness to strive to be the best and make things right when they failed.

I will not be staying in another La Quinta again unfortunately and I encourage others to think long and hard about a company with these values.

I strongly encourage any LQ management that read this to call me and discuss this. As stated I will file a complaint with the BBB tomorrow as I cannot let this happen to future customers.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jan1015
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this La Quinta Inn. Everyone was very nice. I travel with 2 doxies and they were as welcomed as I was. Convienient location to food places. Easy access unto highway. Nice breakfast. Clean and spacious room. Could not ask for more. Looking forward to my next stay when I return to Fl for the winter months.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo