“Ups and Downs . . .”

Ranked #32 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Zanesville, Ohio
“Ups and Downs . . .”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with our teenage children while making a college visit to Johnson Bible College. We were impressed with the first impression of this hotel but after staying here for 3 days a few other impressions were also made.

On the up side . . . the room was very spacious and clean and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. The bedding and towels were changed every day and there were no notes about hanging up towels to dry and re-use-- so no guilt involved in using all the towels! The Breakfast was wonderful with plenty of room to sit and relax while eating. They offered sausage patties, sausage gravy and biscuits and eggs. Also they had a waffle maker and bagles, bread for toast, etc. The lobby was nice with a comfy leather sofa to lounge on while waiting for others. All the staff were friendly and helpful and check-in and check-out was very easy. The shower was also nice - plenty of pressure for a family with 3 girls with lots of hair to wash!

On the down side . . . we chose this hotel because of the discount that they offer to people coming to visit JBC but mainly because they had a pool and hot tub. After traveling from Ohio we usually like to spend some time relaxing in the hot tub. On our second night, after spending all day walking a college campus and sitting through financial aid meetings (ugh!) we decided to relax a bit in the hot tub. Boy did we get a suprise -- The pool was not heated and it was frigid! When we turned the hot tub on the water started shooting out of the jets so hard that it nearly drowned us. The water was spraying clear above our heads and we soon figured out that the jets were missing some of the parts - (my husband referred to the missing parts as the "eyeballs" - not sure if that is the technical term or not). Needless to say it was anything but relaxing. We quickly gave up on it and while returning to our room we passed the night attendant in the hallway and mentioned the problem to her. She said that they had just completed repairs on the hot tub and she would check into it. Not sure if she did or not. We mentioned the pool and hot tub issues with the morning attendant when we checked out and he said the pool is kept at 80 degrees and he didn't know anything about the hot tub.

We could also hear dogs barking while walking down the hall since this is a pet friendly hotel but once in our room we could not hear them.
There is a computer available just off the lobby but there is only one and most of the time we went to use it someone else was already on it. It would be nice if they would add another one.

So, I guess the overall experience was a good one - but maybe ask about the pool and hot tub before you make your reservations.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We traveled from Dallas, Texas to Knoxville, Tennessee in one day. Our family was READY to get out of the truck. I knew we would be arriving late, so I had already contacted reservations to let them know we would definitely be there.

We arrived around 10:00 PM, and I have to say that the lady who checked us in was less than pleasant. I noticed that she was eating when we walked in the door. That doesn't bother me at all, but I think we bothered her. Our check-in wasn't bad and afterward we walked outside to make a gameplan to unload. Our kids had to go to the bathroom and we had just pulled under the covered drive when we arrived. We started to walk toward to door to go inside and let everyone use the restroom when our "less than friendly" attendant came outside to smoke a cigarette. We were greeted with, "You know you can't leave your cars here! You're going to have to park them somewhere else!"

I'm not a complete idiot. I know what and where parking is. We reassured her that we were just going to use the restroom and put a few bags in our room. We would be right back to finish unloading and move the vehicles.

Our rooms were nice. We stayed in the two room suite. The rooms are connected with the adjoining room door. At first I thought the attendant gave us the wrong room, but then I figured it out. The motel is a little bit on the older side, but I wasn't grossed out or anything. As usual, I instructed the kids to walk with shoes on when in the rooms.

Our beds were comfy. I would have to recommend that if you do get the two room suite, you put younger children on the pull-out couch. The mattress is a little on the thin side, but then again, has anyone slept on a thick pull out couch mattress?

We had a Keurig coffee maker in our room which was really nice since that's the coffee I drink. Each room had it's own television. We had a microwave and fridge. The bathroom was very clean and well stocked.

Breakfast the next day was fabulous!

When I initially reserved these rooms, the person I spoke to was very nice. She was there the next day. I never complained to her about the night attendant. I would venture to say that the night attendant doesn't represent the rest of the staff.

We didn't get to swim, but I did see the pool and hot tub. It's located inside the motel. They both looked very clean.

I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 September 2010

. We picked this hotel to stay for one night because of the great location and brand thinking it would be up to top standards. I was disappointed immediately upon entering the first room that was given to us, if had a very foul smell. After getting another room I realized why all the rooms have these bad smells. It seems that this hotel allows pets. Half the people there are traveling with cats and dogs and unfortunately people are just not too careful about their pets when they are staying at hotels.
The facility was built in 1979, and for a corporate hotel they have not updated. this hotel to today's standards, Old TV's, old bathrooms, tubs are stained, sinks are old you feel like you are back 2 decades. The breakfast is OK nothing special but they do have a nice lobby. I would not stay there again, there are two many newer nicer hotels in the area. ,.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Victorville, California
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I thought this was a great hotel! The rooms were very clean, staff was helpful and was very close to downtown/ river and was only about 45 mins from Gatlinburg (road construction made driving a little longer). I would stay again!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Ashburn, Va
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Stayed both ways here on the way to Tx - knew about the "safe warranty" $1 per night, so it was not an issue for me. The trip down had us in a room where the carpets had been recently cleaned - they were still damp to the touch. Mentioned it and found out the hotel had cleaned most of the carpets. Trip back had us in a two room suite - plenty of room for the kids and dog to relax in. Convenient to I-40, easy on/off, and ample food nearby. Will be back for our next trip!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
circuitcat
Reviewed 18 December 2009

My friend and I were traveling to NJ from Louisiana, and this was the first stop on our trip. As veterinary students, both of us are dog owners. We found this hotel on Dogfriendly.com since we needed a place that allowed two large dogs (a 50 lb golden and a 100 lb rottweiler mix). Upon check-in, the staff was friendly and did not charge us a pet fee for either dog. The rooms were clean, quiet, and included the microwave and fridge free of charge. Overall it was a wonderful experience after 10 hours of driving! I will make this my stopping point whenever I drive back home from school.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2009

After traveling for 5 hours into the night, with my wife, a 1 and 6 year old and a poodle, it was refreshing to be greeted by a most friendly gentleman by the name of Justin. The room was clean and quiet. However, the hospitality did not end there. The next morning, my 1 year got sick, had an incident in the break room, where the attendant was more than helpful in helping me clean up the mess. (You see I felt compelled to clean my 1 years old mess), I needed to get directions to the local hospital and that’s where Justin came in again. He provided me with two options and showed a genuine concern for my families well being. We travel this route 3-4 times a year and plan to make this location our designated stop

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family