“Hilton Garden Inn Cumberland”

Hilton Garden Inn Knoxville/University
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
Atlanta, United States
“Hilton Garden Inn Cumberland”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is an excellent property and the staff is great. Recommend staying here for any occasion. Breakfast is excellent and the location is close to attractions. The property is new and fresh, making it more appealing than older properties.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Decatur, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel overnight because of its close proximity to ETCH. Used the hotel shuttle service to take me back and forth from the hospital. This was very convenient. I do feel that it was a bit overpriced, but, so are most things these days.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

And the friendliest staff I have ever encountered. From parking attendants to cleaning staff to front desk, everyone had a genuine smile and would engage you with meaningful conversation. One of the managers was a little grouchy, knocking on my door (and interrupting my wife's catnap) trying to find out who stiffed them for a breakfast ticket. BTW- need a lot more staff at breakfast on game days!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The service was good as far as checking in but as far as their restaurant , bar area there's a lot to be desired ! My wife and I stayed at numerous hilton garden inn locations and they all have the same problem , the food is mediocre at best . We had a fried chicken dish to take to our room that was inedible it was so tough you could not bite through it ! We went back down stairs after eating and the bartender that took our order ask how it was , we just looked at him and kept walking , you knew by looking at him that he knew exactly how it was with and oh well attitude . Kind of burnt me a little ! They have a list of specialty drinks that I thought I'd give a try , first thing is when your a bartender that supposedly designed some the drinks you should at least know how there made without having to look at the menu ! So in all my feelings about Hilton garden inns , not just this one , the food and bar areas in these hotels should be closed unless management wants to rethink their services . I'm saying this because we had stayed in four different hilton garden inns in ten days and all with the same issues , bartenders want to be some where else other then doing their job , food that is way over priced and poor quality ! Yes they are well maintained hotels , service is good but there are many things that make a decent hotel look bad .

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rotten162
HGIKNOX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Knoxville/University, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn University. I want to personally apologize to you and to your wife for your experience, as we do not take these comments lightly.

Our team of hospitality professionals meets daily to discuss the valuable comments from our guests and we make adjustments in our levels of staffing to ensure excellent service. Additionally, your food and beverage comments have been reviewed with the team. We are currently assessing the quality of our chicken dish for flavor and quality, and we are taking the necessary steps to improve the quality of service in both room service and the restaurant experience for our valued travelers. I assure you that we look at each and every comment very seriously, with a goal of providing excellence in customer service and quality that will ensure a value that is synonymous at Hilton hotels every day in every way.

I truly hope that you and your wife will give us a second opportunity to host you again should your travels bring you back to the Knoxville area. And I invite you to call on me personally if there is anything at all I can do to ensure your stay is relaxing and memorable.

Thank you again for your time and for bringing this to my attention. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Tracy Hicks
Lebanon, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Indoor pool isn't even on site, at a YMCA 1-2 blocks away & has a fee $6, optional valet isn't optional, $10 one-time fee, and even the pastry, cereal, & fruit continental breakfast is $8 not free as in majority of hotels! $11.97 opt. of cold food bar & choice or eggs/omelet, 2 bacon/or sausage, and hash browns small amount isn't really a great value either.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIKNOX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Knoxville/University, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to resond to our survey. The Hilton Garden Inn brand offers a variety of complimentary services, including internet, business services, printing, 24-hour fitness center and more. Breakfast, however, is never complimentary and is an additional fee throughout the entire brand. To my knowledge, it has never been complimentary. Our hotel, which opened 9/17/2013, has never had an indoor pool or any swimming facility on property. Our guests do enjoy complimentary access to the downtown YMCA with complimentary shuttle service to and from this restored historic facility. We have double-checked our website for accuracy and can't seem to find any information pertaining to complimentary breakfast and/or an indoor swimming pool. Perhaps we have been confused with one of our Sister Hilton hotels in the downtown market as you were searching hotels in the Knoxville area?

We realize that as a valued traveler you have many choices in lodging and we sincerely appreciate you choosing to stay with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future, and if I can every be of assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to call on me directly.

Tracy Hicks
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This staff is a model for customer service! I arrived under the misconception that this hotel had self-parking. The valet said they did not have that option, but he would find a place for me to self-park and was very courteous. The desk clerk welcomed me with two bottles of water, but also said they had no self-park. Even though I saw information on the website that indicated self-park to me, I was going to let the valet take the car. When I returned to my car, the valet pointed out a great spot for me to park! The bottom line is this... the staff immediately proceded to make me happy even when I was wrong. They did not argue or show displeasure, and instead were extremely impressive as they went beyond expectations to help me. When I wanted to visit the neighborhood, the restaurant manager recommended a nearby, local restaurant that was fantastic! He gave up revenue rather than try to talk me into eating in his venue. I rarely experience this level of service and it was consistent from the valet staff to the desk staff. This is a special group and I would be proud for them to work for me at FedEx.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I recently traveled to knoxville to visit with family in the hospital at fort sanders. I didn't have to use the car until I departed. The front desk employees were so friendly. They told me all the great places to eat with in walking distance. They even have a little shuttle to take you places.the room was very nice and the bed was huge. The front desk manager was great to help us find what room our brother was in and gave us a ride to the hospital.I will definitely tell all my friends were to stay when they go to the games here.Thank you Hilton for a great visit.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family