“Championship Swim Meet Stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Knoxville/University
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Somehow the valet parking was not advertised when I made my reservation. The valet staff worked very hard with all clients that I witnessed; very polite and respectful, hard working guys. The chef for our first night along with our waitress were very enjoyable to be around and concerned about our satisfaction and seemed to love their job. Didn't understand why the towel rack was on the back wall opposite the shower head...there was really no where to hang more than one or two towels. Rooms were very comfortable, clean and stocked well for our needs. Would be VERY helpful to have a shelf under the sink area. My only complaint, and it is about me personally, I don't like to use valet parking. We are in and out of the hotel so many times, I feel like it I am inconveniencing the employees (they never acted that I had). Would be nice to not need to re-login to the complimentary internet every time our devices go to sleep. Otherwise, great experience!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HGIKNOX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Knoxville/University, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time from your hectic schedule to review your recent stay. We love having our swim groups stay with us and we have heard how convenient we are to the UT Aquatics Center (about a block away). We also appreciate your honesty about the Valet Parking situation and the staff. While we know it might not be ideal for everyone, we have provided a complimentary shuttle service that will take you and drop you off at the Aquatics Center so you don't have to keep accessing your own vehicle. I hope you will take advantage of this amenity the next time your swim meet schedule brings you to Knoxville.

We look forward to having you and your team back with us again next year.

Enjoy your Summer!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Knoxville/University

Reviewed 23 July 2014

1.-Already mentioned , the valet thing.You are going to hate it.

When i arrived at midnight on Wednesday the 16th of July a furious man rumbled to the front desk (never mind we were in the process of checking in) , dropping his keys asking to be checked out and screaming at an employee because he had just parked his car and was told the hotel was valet only and he had either to pay $10 USD or park his car elsewere .

This kind of behavior is provoked by probably some guy at the worlwide HQs of Hilton who is trying to get a bonus and who has presented a plan to increasing revenue using a "fee" strategy similar to "what the airlines are doing".

Well you got what the airlines are getting: disgruntled customers.

Yes I know management explains that the hotel charges a little less than what hotels in downtown Knoxville are charging for parking , the problem is that this hotel is is not exactly in "core" downtown (20 min walk to market square) and the mcdonalds , krystal and walgreens in front of the hotel do not charge for parking .

2.-The tip issue .

To tip or not to tip? When a hotel charges you a mandatory fee for valet parking they are forcing a service upon you.

However the guys outside do not get a cent out of this fee. So if you do not tip , you get the evil eye....

If you tip ,and you are parking in an out of the hotel several times per day your actual rate increases.

Finally :

3.-Nice room design one terrible flaw: The beds and the aisles: The base of the bed is made of hard wood and protrudes our of the mattress You can not see it.

The footprint of the room narrows the width of the aisle right in the front of the bed.
(An ergonomic /safety design flaw)

As a result , there are high chances you will get hurt. See pictures ( i got hurt right below my knee (blood)).

Funny thing when i went out for dinner with another colleague also staying there and he saw my knee , he just showed me that the same thing happened to him!!

Another reviewer also complained about bumping with the furniture all the time , it is not because of the room size , it is because of poor room design

Management told me they will give me a "larger" room , stayed again at the hotel and the same design problem persisted in the new room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 30Countrytraveler

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn University. While I appreciate the fact that you aren't accustomed to paying for parking, I would like to let our viewers on Trip Advisor know that we DO NOT advise any guest to park in the adjacent McDonalds or Krystal parking areas. These lots are reserved for their customers and just like ours - their parking lots are monitored. If someone parks in those lots without being inside the restaurant their vehicle will likely be towed in less than 30 minutes.

We do, however, attempt to located off-campus parking for our hotel guests who choose not to take advantage of our parking garages via the 24-hour valet team. Parking is at such a premium on the Cumberland Strip that we made the decision to provide this convenience for our hotel guests for a very minimal fee - $10 - which is much less than paying a towing bill in the Knoxville area (can range from $75 to $300 depending on the time of year.)

In relation to the size of the hotel rooms - we invite you to ask for one of the larger rooms which are available at the same price (first come, first served) during your next trip. Our hotel guest rooms vary in size - and while they are not the typical prototype for the Hilton Garden Inn brand, we do take pride in the fact that our quirky-ness is due to that painstaking restoration of this hotel building that original opened to the public in 1969. Perhaps if you choose to stay with us again, you will allow us the privilege of upgrading you to a larger room and/or two-room suite should one be available.

Your comments will help us as we continually work to improve our guest experience. At Hilton Garden Inn, we promise to do whatever it takes to ensure you are satisfied. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. You Can Count On Us. Guaranteed. Please call on me personally if I can ever be of assistance to you in any way. We do hope to see you or hear from you again in the future because your business is of great value to us in Knoxville and to Hilton Hotels.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great stay! Great Location! Staff was very attentive, and the facility was perfect. Adjustments were made quickly to our large crowd and overall I would recommend this hotel when staying in knoxville for the university. Heads up on the valet parking. the only way to do it.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you so very much for your wonderful comments. I know many people read reviews and take a cue from guests like you so thank you for taking time to say your recent visit was ‘five star.’
The only thing we love more than our hotel is the guests we have the pleasure of serving. Thank you for making our day!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times this year and couldn't ask for a better experience. The staff has been excellent on all occasions and the rooms are VERY clean. The location is convenient to UT and all surrounding areas including the local hospitals and shopping. I will definitely be staying at this hotel again on my next trip to Knoxville.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jason S:

You, sir, have absolutely made our day! Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review about our hotel. We know many people read reviews and take a cue from guests like you.
Thanks for noticing the cleanliness of our rooms. Our housekeeping staff takes pride in their jobs and our executive housekeeper works tirelessly to keep the staff motivated.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon - and thank you again!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend & I had to book a last minute trip due to his mother passing needless to say we were scrambling for a nice & affordable hotel last minute . We could not have been more pleased with the location & customer service at this hotel it was great all across the board ! I will add that I have done a fair share of traveling in the US & in Europe & it was by far the cleanest room I've ever stepped foot in ! The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is it is a little set back from the main street it sits on & the sign was hard to see we ended up passing it ,also I wanted to add that you have to valet which was kinda a pain due to the fact we had several trips to run because of the circumstances other than that we were extremely happy to have a clean & very quit room to sleep in . Oh & the lobby is super cute too enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you so much for your amazing comments about the cleanliness (and cuteness) of our hotel. I cannot tell you how it makes me to hear over and over again about the cleanliness of our guest rooms in particular. Our housekeeping team (led by Jasmine Smith) works like a well-oiled machine to make this the cleanest hotel in downtown....and it makes us all a little proud when our guests notice their 'above and beyond' attitude. So thank you!

We are so glad that you decided to give us a try and we sincerely hope to see you again very soon. Enjoy the rest of your Summer.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for two nites during the Covenant Health Marathon. All staff were friendly, rooms were clean, prices were affordable. We enjoyed this hotel so much we plan to stay again this year for the marathon;

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Well - that more is there to say that what you have already said? THANK YOU.

We look forward to having you back as our guest during the 2014 Marathon. Please look me up when you get in!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn over the past weekend. Convenient location for downtown/University activities. Not sure I would feel comfortable/safe walking about alone at night though. Within one mile from the Market Square which was a very enjoyable activity on a Saturday morning. Room/Breakfast were all very good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

When families choose to stay with us for the weekend, we get a little giddy. We love families (and kids) and it is always such a pleasure for us to help you plan a fun and exciting weekend in downtown Knoxville.

Next time you are with us be sure to take advantage of the all-electric shuttle that we offer on Saturdays and Sundays. We can drop you off in Market Square and then come back and get you later in the day or the evening - completely free of charge. That way, you don't need to bother with finding a place to park in the often-difficult downtown Knoxville market.

We look forward to have you and your family back soon. Please let us know if we can send you a calendar of events from VisitKnoxville ahead of time to help you choose the perfect weekend. And don't forget .... kids 12 and under get to eat the amazing breakfast totally free of charge! It's another way we celebrate family travel on a dime!

See you soon!