“Nice” 3 of 5 bubbles

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I love to go look at old cemeteries and see the older monuments. This was nice enough, kinda looked like a few homeless maybe had been camping out near the gate? :( and it needed to be mowed. But, if you like history, like I do, go see it. Its worth it. Id keep in my car though.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank JessiaMc

Galena, Ohio, USA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Quick visit to this historical place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Had to check out this cemetery while visiting Knoxville. So many very nice and old gravestones. Great for photography. Nice church across the street. Narrow entry so larger vehicles may have difficulty pulling in. Was a little apprehensive about the many locals though... bedding at base of one of the sites where I wanted to take a photo.

Visited July 2013
Philadelphia
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

As a history buff myself, I made it a goal of mine to visit while at a convention in Pigeon Forge. I had a morning free, so off I went. Took about 35 minutes, and what a pretty drive it was. I had studied the cemetery prior to visiting. It was easy to find. My goal was to find the headstones off the list I had found on-line about the 1904 New Market Train Wreck. I had read that a couple dozen of the victims were buried there. Also I had read that there were about a dozen angel statues which I love to photograph. I did enjoy wondering around and found some very unique headstones and markers. As mentioned, there were folks wondering around the cemetery that were not historians like myself. I learned quickly not to light up a smoke while exploring since once I did I had several people, even waving me through the fence asking for a cigarette. I also kept sight of my rental car which usually I wonder so far I have to hit the emergency button on my car keys and follow the sounds of the horn! The cemetery was certainly beautiful and worth every second of my visit. I had more time available and really wanted to stay. But, being a solo female I decided to cap my time there. Heartbroken, I finally left only finding one victim. The cemetery seemed well kept to me. The grass was cut and the grounds were clean. If you like historic cemeteries with a flare of Victorian, then make sure you take at least a drive through. You'll enjoy it.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank WorryFreePhilly
Knoxville, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A Favorite Historical Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

As an avid history buff, I really like the local history. I like to find locations or items that are not popular and take pictures and learn more about them.
The Old Gray Cemetery is a great place to spend a Sunday afternoon walking around and looking at the tombstones. There are a lot of prominent Knoxvillians buried here.
My only concern is the homeless shelter that is right down the street. When the homeless are not allowed in the shelter, they tend to migrate towards the cemetery and often sleep there. I had a couple of them actually yell at me because I was driving through.
It is a shame, knowing that they litter and use the tombstones for back rest and makes it impossible to feel safe.
When I am alone, I am not concerned, but when my children are with me I am more cautious. I want to teach them history and to be compassionate for others that may be going through a rough time in their life. At the same time, allowing them to vandalize a historical place is not sensible to me.
Go early in the morning, as I have noticed that there are less homeless around in the early hours. It also gives a special feel to the visit when the sun is starting to shine through the tombstones. It is a great place to take pictures.
Do not forget that around the corner is the National Cemetery.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank johnnydurango
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Interesting historic cemetery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you are a history buff and like to roam through old cemeteries this is one for you. It is a beautiful old place with much history of Knoxville to be gleaned from its stones. Once or twice a year school children do historical enactments here, standing by the grave of a person of prominence in the community to tell the person's story. They are always nicely done. Usually on a Sunday. Check the Knoxville News Sentinel or google the cemetery for info. Next to this cemetery is the State Military Cemetery which is really interesting. Dates back to the Civil War and has a number of head stones were all members of a WW II air plane crash are listed since no bodies were recovered. Yes, there is a rescue mission close by with some homeless people, but I visit my father's grave in the military cemetery often and have never been bothered by any of these folks. Just go during the daytime and not at night and there should be no problem.

Visited August 2013