Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Knoxville West - Papermill Dr
Ranked #27 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stopped here after driving on I-40 for a long while. It was about 3am. The man at the front desk was polite and the place looked like it was recently built. It was extremely clean. Rooms were fabulous. The free breakfast is AMAZING! Probably the best breakfast bar I've had at a Hotel. Pancakes, sausage, biscuits, juice, coffee, bagels, etc. I would stay again!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We visited Knoxville for a school function. This hotel is well positioned to get to campus within 10 minutes. It's right off the interstate and only a few miles down the interstate to the exit for Alcoa HWY and then a turn for campus. Also, it was a short drive to Walmart and Gander Mountain. Waffle house is a half minute drive and several restaurants are within a 1-2 minute drive and plenty more within a 5 minute drive. The decor of this hotel is pretty interesting. I was scared at first by the 1970's motel blue streak running up the front but I was calmed inside. The lobby was very nice. Several tables for breakfast and several comfortable chairs as well. I was greeted quickly upon entering the door and check in was quick. They offered me a comp bottle of water which I took. The rooms are really nice. They have a keurig in room which was a nice change.

Bad stuff: The halls are very alive after 9 am. If you're a late sleeper this may not be the hotel for you. I don't know if it was the hotel staff or just people going in and out. But I could hear everything.

The fitness center is pretty small. Two treadmills, 1 elliptical and a small weight stack, which is easy enough to make do with. The problem was that there was about six inches of space between the equipment (maybe 9"…. didn't measure) which made getting on and off a hassle, especially if someone else was using the one next to you. The biggest problem was the heat. There was no temp control in the room and it was sweltering. After 15 minutes of cardio I felt like I'd done 45. Also, the water cooler was turned off.

Next bad thing was the pool (location and indoor pool were the driving factors for picking this hotel). We used it the first night and everything was okay. The second night we went to use it and it was closed for routine cleaning. This wouldn't have been such a bother if they put the sign up the day before and said it would be closed for cleaning the next day. The most annoying part though was that no one was actually cleaning it while it was closed.

Good Stuff: Service. The breakfast staff was very nice. They greeted everyone that came down and managed to chat with a few people between keeping everything stocked and fresh. (IHG, you should definitely commend these people [it was a lady and a guy working 3/28 and 3/29], they are a great asset to this hotel). The breakfast was your standard HIE fare, pancakes, meat, biscuits, gravy, and assorted bread and pastries. One thing I didn't like was that the only yogurt offered was sugar free. I realize the healthy hype for yogurt but I just really don't like artificial sweeteners and won't get into why they're not good to eat. But needless to say, a regular cup of yogurt would have been great. I just went to Walmart and grabbed a few so no huge problem.

Coffee: I thoroughly enjoyed being able to grab a cup whenever coming through the lobby. They had decaf and reg caf so for the coffee lovers out there, you can have some whenever.

Recap: The things to fix would be servicing the pool during hours people are not likely to use it instead of the evening. Also, adding another yogurt choice would be great (although I will say I'm being picky in that regard ha, the rest of breakfast was great). Lastly, some way to control the temp in the fitness center is seriously needed (Every other IHG hotel I've visited that had a fitness center has had either a temp control or a fan).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was impressed with hotel itself, nice lobby & room. I think the front desk workers need to work on their attention to details. Our first room wasn't cleaned; We were given an expired Internet code; drinks we paid cash for were charged to my card; phones in room weren't connected. I made lots of trips to the front desk.

• Stayed: March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Knoxville West - Papermill Dr, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Kym N,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel very nice and in great location. On the other hand, I apologize for the inconvenience the service you received from our staff may have caused. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I arrived tonight to a clean room. The staff was very friendly. After two good experiences with HIE, I went ahead and signed up for the rewards program. I'm out 80 nights per year so I can't wait to start building points. Plus, the true HD flat screen (I think it's a 47 inch) really sold the brand for me.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here 2 nights. This will be my place to stay when coming into Knoxville. It's new and is generally clean. The beds are very comfortable. Did find huge/giant mold stains on 2 of my pillows (not sure how they could have been missed. They were placed down on the mattress side - so I am sure the cleaning team knew.) They replaced the pillows when i took them down. Breakfast was fine. It had a good selection of bakery, fruit, drinks, and warm food (eggs, biscuits/gravy, bacon.)

I would recommend asking for the rooms away opposite side of the interstate. It was very noisy.
We used the pool. My son said it was very cold!

This is best Holiday Inn Exp in the area since it's new and service is very good.
I would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I was told that this Inn was only 4 months old. Probably so cause the service and staff actually cared and were very professional. Given time I hope it don't change. I would recommend a room on the back side of hotel as the front faces the freeway and all its joyous noises. Cold air from outside was coming in on the top of the air conditioner it had not been caulked. The bathroom lighting was a little dark for the decor. Door latch was broke, could be anywhere. No hot tub which would be nice cause it was cold and rainy. Outdoor fire-pit was nice but the furniture was all wet. Rooms were quite clean. Breakfast bar was really good. Easy access to freeway.

Room Tip: Back side away from exits and elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at here for 2 nights to attend a wedding in Knoxville. The staff is very friendly, the breakfast is as expected, and the beds are very comfortable. The location is great for getting to different places (rehearsal dinner, church, reception) in Knoxville as the hotel is right off the freeway. There are several very good restaurants nearby on Kingston Pike.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family