“Good Asian food”

Cuisines: Asian
Key Largo, Florida
“Good Asian food”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Only place we could find open on our road trip on Christmas day. We were both very happy with our meals. Would stop again.

• Visited December 2013

“Phenominal sushi”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The sushi is fresh and delicious! Many varieties available of both sushi and nagiri. Try the special flaming roll, you will love it.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

General Tsao was unimpressive. More like a sweet and sour chicken. The Basil eggplant had a wonderful flavor but eggplant was mushy and the skin unappealing. I was hoping for more as the restaurant is always busy and in a convient location. I will give the West location a taste next time.

Visited November 2013
knoxville
“Best Asian Cafe by far.”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This place offers 8 country types of authentic foods from Malaysian, Thai, Singapore, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese & Sushi, all in one roof, WOW! They also have full bar & lounge plus Karaoke & Live Jazz. Am very satisfied with the service as well. A must place to be.

• Visited November 2013
Philadelphia, Tennessee
“Not bad, but not great, either”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We went to the Asia Cafe West location, which used to be Mandarin House, I think.

The decor is eclectic, as is the jumble of a menu. We were greeted by friendly hostesses and cheerfully led to a table in the dining room.

Husband ordered hibachi shrimp and rice; daughter got spicy tuna roll (sushi); son ordered banh mi (the sandwich about which I've heard so much), and I asked the waitress's advice on what to order from the Vietnamese menu. I even told her what I like in general. She recommended pho, but pointed to something above it that said "rare steak" in the English description. I ordered that.

I got a giant bowl of cilantro-flavored soup with four slivers of shoe-leather textured beef, clear white noodles, tons of sliced white onion, and a bit of chopped green onion. There was a plate of things that the waitress told me to mix in. Actually, she delivered the plate of stuff before the soup, so I was picturing a rice dish like my husband's hibachi turned out to be, in which case, the bean sprouts, herbs, and lime would have been handy. There was a dish of sriracha (no, I don't do spicy) and a dish of hoisin, which was tasty. However, none of the mix-ins appealed to me when I tasted the soup. So much cilantro, it tasted like soap. I said soap. Like what you would bathe with, not soup, like what you would eat.

I kept adding stuff to it in the hopes that it would eventually taste like something I might want to eat, but it just kept tasting like watery cilantro and onion.

The rare steak was just as tough as shoe leather, exactly as it looked.

So I ordered the wrong thing, and I can't hold that against the restaurant or the waitress who recommended it.

My husband's dish, in the meantime, was really dry. My son couldn't identify the meat in his sandwich. My daughter devoured her sushi.

The place was mostly clean, although so crowded with tchotchkes and decorative elements that it was kind of hard to tell. The fish tank in the foyer is pretty green, but the fish seem OK. The music is the worst middle-of-the-road pop from the 80's.

But Asia Cafe isn't expensive, and what you see is what you get.

So if you're just looking for safe and middle-of-the-road, Asia Cafe West is a good bet. The service is very friendly and conscientious.

• Visited September 2013