“Awesome!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
ohio
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Tried this one out based on reviews. It's a hole in the wall style and really hesitant when we saw it in person but then saw a very happy group of people coming out and decided to give it a go. So glad we did...this is the best food I've ever eaten!! YUMMY!! (and I've eaten a lot ...lol) We had ribs, mac and cheese (the best ever) fried okra, mashed potatoes and gravy, and dumplings. We cleaned our plates and came out smiling ourselves. Also, service was very quick and friendly and cost was reasonable.

• Visited June 2014

Sacramento, California
“Regional tasty food, but not fancy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Chandler' deli looks like no delicatessen. It is really a BBQ, Southern-Soul food paradise the likes of which I have never seen in the North or West. It pained me to have time and room in my stomach to enjoy just a fraction of all the good stuff being cooked up there. Agreed, the ambience is not upscale. It is not spic and span. However, the smells from the kitchen, which is open for all to see, are terrific. (to answer critics complaining about dirty tables, floor, walls - the dishes and cutlery are disposable, and no one eats off the floors, walls or windows.) It is worth a visit, but also looks to be quite the place in town for take out.

• Visited April 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“Great southern comfort food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I love Chandlers. I try to eat there at least once a week. I have not tried everything on their menu, but I have never had a bad meal. Their fried chicken is the closest to my grandmas I have ever had. And their macaroni and cheese is the best I have ever had. If your looking for fancy high brow food your in the wrong place. If your looking for an inexpensive meal with beyond generous portions then this is the place. I don't know where they get their chicken from, but they are the biggest pieces I have ever seen. If your in Knoxville and looking for comfort food, then this is the place to go.

• Visited September 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Down right filthy place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

I don't know how this place could pass a health dept inspection. I should have turn away the minute I got to the front door as the entrance way apparently has never been cleaned. The entire restaurant needs to be closed and completely hosed down. Sticky dirty tables and floors, dirty walls and windows. I can't imagine what the kitchen looks like if the area customers can see is this filthy.
The food was okay but I couldn't enjoy it thinking about how dirty the kitchen could be. I would be embarrassed to recommend a dirty place like this.

• Visited August 2013
georgia
“Great food and honest people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

This restaurant is one of the best places we've found in the Southeast for real honest to goodness Southern food. Like every good Southern place, the sides are as good as the chicken, fish, and meat. Especially the fried green tomatoes and the mixed greens. It is easily the best fried chicken I've had. The cornbread is good too. Crunchy on the outside and full of flavor. The restaurant is now selling a line of its seasonings. I really don't think you can duplicate the fried chicken at home, but the cabbage seasoning on cooked cabbage is divine. Haven't tried it yet on coleslaw, but I will. In addition to having great food, the people there are wonderful. I stupidly left my purse there one day, with everything in it. They found it, called me, and arranged for shipment of the purse to my home. Great food and honest people. What more could you ask?
Diana W