“sad experience”

Silver Spoon Cafe
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining
Description: Silver Spoon Cafe is now under new ownership where you can now taste the new fresh approach to food. Every item on the menu is made from scratch. You will still be able to enjoy the classic dishes that made them famous, such as the Chicken Pot Pie, Smoked Chicken Pasta Pie, Spinach con Queso, and Beef Puff Pastry to name a few. And, be sure to try some of the new favorites some which include Shrimp and Grits and The Dream Weaver, made with 6 pieces of bacon weaved together making the ultimate BLT. Open for lunch and dinner, patio seating, live acoustic music, full bar, full service catering and banquet room also available.
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“sad experience”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was the third and last stop on our adventure of trying to get lunch on a Saturday afternoon. I had been wanting to try this place out since it opened. Not very impressed at all. We walked in and didn't even see a single person for about 2-3 minutes. No one at the host station, no one behind the bar, and saw no servers helping tables. We were about to walk out and just go home at the point when finally someone came by with their hands full of dishes saying that someone would be with us shortly. Meanwhile, we looked at the menus posted on the front wall and had kinda figured out what we wanted to eat. Someone finally came and sat us and our server came and got our drink orders and apologized for the wait at the front. We looked at the menu and realized that it was not at all the same menu that we saw on the wall out front, and nothing that we had wanted was even on the menus we were given. We were looking at each other kind of in shock because of all the trouble we had already gone through just to get lunch.

We ordered the spinach queso dip for appetizer, and it was disgusting. Its like spicy Velveeta with whole spinach leaves thrown in and a big glop of sour cream spooned on top. It was thick and gross and the sour cream wouldn't even mix in with the rest of the dip. My husband loves a good queso dip, but was disgusted by this. We were about to tell our server to just cancel our lunch order and ask for our check, if this was any indication of how the food and service would be. We received our side salads and they were pretty sad too. The cucumbers on our salads were so old that they were dried up and shriveled. I love cucumbers and eat them often, and I could tell these were cut a long time ago. They were not even shiny at all. The salads themselves were so-so. Nothing special. Just a mix of cut-up lettuce, old cucumbers, and 2 little cherry tomatoes.

My husband had ordered a Blue Moon beer, which is served with orange slices. Well, the orange slices he got on his beers were also quite old and dried up. Our son usually like to eat the orange slices and we had to actually pull the fruit off the rind because the rind was so dried up and hard. My son ended up not eating the oranges because they were so dried and chewy, he just spit them out.

We ordered the tomato basil pizza that my husband and i were going to split. The pizza itself was alright. Nothing great. I love a good fresh pizza with pesto, fresh tomatoes, etc. This was nothing that great. My son ordered chicken fingers and fries ( we were going to get him a club sandwich, which was listed on the front menu, but not the actual menu). HIs food was nothing but a plate of drippy grease. His fries were like greasy carnival fries. They were so greasy they were almost clear and limp. His chicken tenders were quite greasy too. Like they fried it all up and forgot to drain it after cooking. It took him a bit of coaxing to finally get him to eat it.

While were eating, we were sitting kind of in a little corner table that was hidden in the back of an area. Everyone in our section had left and not one single person and come by to clean off any of the tables. There were about 5-6 tables around us and every one of them had every plate and glass left on them, not touched or moved. While we were eating, no one ever came and cleaned up our empty glasses/ plates from our appetizer or salads. So we were eating around other plates that were stacked up to make room for our lunch.

Our waiter was great though! He was very friendly, but you could tell he was tired. The whole time we were there we only noticed maybe 3 servers in the whole place. Our server would be over on the other end of the restaurant taking orders and serving food and back and forth to random places. It didn't seem like there was any structure into setting up sections for servers to focus on.

Over all, a pretty poor experience. This place looks so cute and promising on the outside, and the decor on the inside was cute too, but service and food is lacking BIG TIME. Sad to say, we will not be coming back.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank smashleyelliott
Sarah G, Marketing and Promotions Manager at Silver Spoon Cafe, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback.
We look at all reviews positive and negative as a way to improve our business. I am very embarrassed reading your review as we strive to provide an excellent meal with excellent service.
I have spoken to the management team, and we have called an all staff meeting to discuss your experience. We have put together an action plan to make sure our guests leave our restaurant happier than when they came through the doors.

I feel confident that we will improve! I have reached out to you privately and hope to hear from you soon.

Sarah

Birmingham, Alabama
“LOVE THE SPINACH CON QUESO!!!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have always loved this restaurant and was bummed when the one where we are from closed down a long time ago in Birmingham,AL. On our way for a Thanksgiving trip, I saw that a new one had opened up and had to try it to see if it was the same and I LOVED IT. Bring one back to Alabama! Everything we had tasted fresh and the staff was very friendly and courteous!

• Visited November 2013
Sarah G, Marketing and Promotions Manager at Silver Spoon Cafe, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words!
We hope you stop by on your next trip through Knoxville :)

Sarah
Maryville, Tennessee
“$3.00 margaritas & really good food”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I stopped for a quick bite before shopping some new showers. Wish we took more time to enjoy the food. The cheese and bacon quiche was perfectly cooked and an ample portion not the usual thin piece of quiche. A tortilla soup made it an excellent combo. I had a good white wine while my wife went for the margarita. Total bill $25.00. The service was friendly and quick. We are going back for sure, this time for dinner.

• Visited September 2013
Nashvillle
“$3 margaritas at happy hour”
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

My son and I stopped by for a quick dinner this week. The $3 margaritas during happy hour were large, refreshing and delicious. My herb chicken salad was very good and the chicken was moist and tasty.
However, the fries accompanying my son's better than average burger were soggy and he didn't eat but a couple of them.
Our server was friendly and helpful.

• Visited August 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“The Silver Spoon is Tarnished.....”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Friends, on a recent road trip, we popped in here to sit on the patio and have a nice meal. The hostess was very attentive, handed us a menu to peruse, and we headed to the patio. Once there, it seemed there was some confusion as to who our waiter was because it took about 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged our presence. We decided to split a BLT and I made myself comfy in the Knoxville sunshine... Just for jollies, how do you screw up a meal with 3 ingredients????? Although it was about 2:00, I would guess that this bacon was cooked sometime around 9:00 a.m. It was overcooked, lukewarm, crispy to the point of hurting my teeth, and tasted a bit rancid. A flimsy shred of lettuce, two thin pieces of tomato and on what appeared to be Sunbeam white bread with no mayo (i.e., dry). The fries were so salty they were inedible.... I liked the atmosphere but will never go back. Makes you wonder how some of the offerings that actually require a recipe would work out.... Very strange.....

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank KYMary
Sarah G, Marketing and Promotions Manager at Silver Spoon Cafe, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Hello KY Mary,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your comments and honest review. We used your review during our last server meeting as an example of poor customer service, and how this is unacceptable. We strive to provide excellent service, looks like we did not meet our own goals the day you visited our restaurant.

Could you please reach out to me at sarahg@silverspooncafe.us? I would love to invite you to come back and try us again. Let me prove to you that we are better than what you last experienced.
-Sarah