“Non-smoking means NON-smoking! Ugh!”
Review of Motel 6 Knoxville

Motel 6 Knoxville
Ranked #54 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
“Non-smoking means NON-smoking! Ugh!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Checked in for night three of our 6,000 mile, cross-country trek. Reserved a non-smoking King room via Orbitz from outside of Lebanon, TN.

We were checked in by a young man with zero customer service skills. His older female coworker was friendly enough. We made our way upstairs to room 223, but were bowled over as soon as we opened the door - the room stunk terribly of smoke. We called down and notified the front desk. The same annoyed/tired/bored employee didn't apologize, just said, "It's a non-smoking room." <silence>

*I* had to say, "Yes, and someone violated the rule. Do you have another room?" :\

I went down and swapped out the keys while my SO waited with the luggage near the new room, one floor above the first (323).

The other desk clerks did flash smiles, but were busy swapping shifts (11pm), so I was stuck with the unfriendly clerk. Again, no apology or customer-friendly comments, he just slid the new key card across the counter and looked back at his computer screen.

The new room, unlike the first, was equipped with a mini fridge and microwave, and surprise - the stench of cigarette smoke! The bathroom especially, REEKED!

We were too tired to swap rooms again, so we begrudgingly staying put for the night. :\

Plumbing fixtures worked as expected; hot water was plentiful and pressure was good.

The previously posted comments about the noise from I40 are valid; it's noisy — not intolerable, but worth requesting a room on the opposite side of the building, especially for light sleepers.

We got up and out as early as possible the next morning as we needed fresh air to soothe our throats, which were sore from the obnoxious cigarette smoke. As we left to load our bags into the car and walk across the parking lot to the Cracker Barrel next door, our departure was not even acknowledged by the same employee who'd "helped" us the previous evening. They must force him to work there; he certainly doesn't project the aire of someone content with his job.

The room was clean and roomy enough, just stinky — a HEX on all guests who light up in clearly marked NON-smoking rooms! It's rude, and disrespectful to the facility and future guests, but bottom line: it's the management (and surly staff)'s responsibility to know and maintain the conditions of their rooms.

Despite the proximity to restaurants, gas, and the interstate, I would not stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DBfromNV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Athol, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My husband, my two children and I stayed here overnight on our way to Birmingham Alabama area where we had a plush room at the hilton garden inn booked for 4 nights. This motel was less than half the price, very clean, comfortable, in a safe area and the staff were so sweet and helpful. I wish I could say the same about the Hilton staff :( we will definitely be back. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!

Stayed May 2014
8 Thank huey_drewby
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very clean and tidy Motel. There's an elevator and 3 floors. Linda helped us check in. She suggested a good restaurant across the street and gave us a discount card! Great food and many thanks! The hallways were clean. Our room was very contemporary and clean. The bed was comfortable and the triangle shaped shower was nice and big! The coffee was good and hot! I wish all Motel 6's were like this!

Room Tip: Room 201 is right by the interstate but the noise was bearable. The air works great!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Jen392014
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Traveling through Tennessee in January on the way to Charleston, we stopped late on the east side of Knoxville and checked rates at a string of hotels. Not surprisingly, Motel 6 was almost half the cost of others in the area ($50 for two persons with AARP discount). I had not stayed in a Motel 6 in almost twenty years so was quite surprised to find a very modern-looking facility. The rooms had been remodeled to resemble an Ikea showroom, complete with faux wood floors and minimalist modern furniture. Small LCD TV was sufficient on the wall and the beds were very comfortable. Perhaps the best feature was a fairly large bathroom with triangular shower -- very cool design. In short, this has made me re-think Motel 6 and will definitely consider them more often. You simply can’t beat the value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank wm23
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Truck was stolen on December 19/20, 2013 from the parking lot. Parked in the front on the Cracker Barrell side corner spot. Was told they had a busy night, but of course not on saw anything. Had stayed at this property several times prior and was always pleased. We had asked for a late check out and was told we could have until 12 and it was 10:30 at that point. We checked out and will never stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cgblanton
Pachuca, Mexico
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a single night, I happened to be passing by on my way to Philadelphia. I choose it because I was on a budget. I paid $46.89 total. The staff in the reception area was very friendly. There was no breakfast included, only fresh coffee and it was hot and fresh when I checked out early morning. Pets are allowed, if memory serves me right I think you just have to let them know you are traveling with a pet.

My room was on the left and back side of the building on the last floor. Just mild noise from the interstate but nothing to really worry about. It was clean so was the bathroom. I took a bath and the water was really hot. The room was a little cold but as soon as you crank up the heat is nice. The bed was a little stiff and the pillows were soft. There is free WIFI in every room, I was told that the signal strength in my room was low and that I should plug the wire on the proper jack for a better browse, I was provided with said wire but did not need it, the signal was strong and steady to browse the web (I only read a couple of articles and typed some emails, I did not watch any you tube or any other heavy use).

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel face the interstate, so be mindful if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank David Alfonso A
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed in rm 206. As I was getting my son ready I looked down and there was a bed bug in the cover! When the mgr Vicki came up to rm she laughed. My husband went down stairs to speak with the general manager. While speaking to the genneral manager/owner my husband asked when the last time the place was treated, to which management produced a 275.00 bill from a pest control conpany dated 10/25/2013. My husband then tried calling the pest control number on the receipt which was an invailed number. My husband then told management the number wasn't valid, to which they became upset telling him to give the room key back and leave.

• Stayed November 2013