“Do Not...Sketchy doesn't even begin to adequately describe”

Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie
Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie
Ranked #82 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Like some of the others below, looked and booked online. The photo online looks normal but the actuality is that this lodging is in a very questionable part of town and there is no doubt that highly suspicious activities were taking place in some of the rooms. Got there, checked in with my daughter in tow. 3 minutes to be sure we needed to move on elsewhere. No refund as expected. Came on the Red Roof at Papermill which is at least clean and tolerable. Always do your due diligence is the lesson learned from this!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ted M
Ken T, Manager at Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Ted M,

On behalf of the staff and management of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to apologize for any issues you encountered during your visit. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. I respect your decision and hope that you stay at any of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Ken-GM

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I have had so much luck with ABVI until Knoxville/Chilhowie. I made the mistake of not checking the reviews when we were driving from Raleigh, NC to Knoxville. This place is a DUMP....they even have signs outside for "hourly" rates for guess who....the street walkers! The surrounding neighborhood is not much better.
There were people repairing cars in the parking lot. My male friend and I said "no way"....if we didn't get killed that night, my truck would have been stripped by the morning, Of course, I could not get my money back whatsoever, but our lives are much more important than a lousy $65. The front desk clerk could barely speak English. This DUMP is on the east side of Knoxville off I-40.....go to the West Side of town on I-40 and you will find modern, beautiful safe hotels. We wound up at a new Super 8 just after you pass the mall and you see a Texas Roadhouse on the south side of I-40....and the breakfast was pretty good too!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
knoxchil, Manager at Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear Bev C,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you encountered. We do not have any signs posted stating that we rent rooms by the hour. I am not sure what you are referring to? I am sorry we couldn't meet your expectations.

Ken-GM
Americas Best Value Inn-Knoxville, TN Chil. Park

Reviewed 7 July 2012

As soon as I told our taxi driver where we were staying, he warned us he was taking us to a motel in a 'not so good' part of town, and that prostitutes and drug dealers work from there. We were unfazed, but he wouldn't leave until we had checked in and were safely in our room.

The young man at the front desk was really friendly and helpful. The bed was big and comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The air conditioning was great.

Anyway, against the taxi driver's warnings, we ventured for a bit of a walk while it was still light. Sadly, there are a number of abandoned properties, old wrecks of cars and empty business premises. Obviously a low socio economic area.

We enjoyed pizza across the road before going back to the motel. Some of the people we saw at the motel did look a bit 'dodgy'. A couple of them did have a really good look at us - but it was reciprocated as I wanted to have a good look at them too!

I got the impression the family that run this motel are trying to do the best with what they have.
At no time did we feel unsafe.

You get what you pay for ... we just wanted a bed for the night and that's what we got.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the external stairwell
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear HinemoaHoney,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am glad that you gave us the opportunity to serve you. If you return to the area, we would like to have you stay with us again or at another one of Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Regards-

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I would not be surprised if the majority of this joint's clientele don't pay by the hour. Arrived without reservations after 8-hours of driving and was met at front desk by a man who could barely speak English while my wife waited in the car. I put the room on my Visa and went to go to the room. While I was inside, my wife watched a couple of guys dringing in the parking lot, women coming and going and, bottom line she refused to stay there. I took the electronic key back to the office and told the guy at the counter that we were cancelling. His immediate response was "no refund!" even though I hadn't even opened the door to the room. I emailed America's Best Value and they did respond, telling me that each motel is independently owned and operated and they would pass my complaint on to the owner. Fat chance I will get my $46 back. I did go on to the Motel 6 on the east side of Knoxville, we got a clean, quiet room for $48. Lesson learned is that you cannot trust America's Best Value - you have to see the motel and look it over real good before putting down your money. I would NEVER use this chain again.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here unless you like to live on the wild side.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul K

Paul K,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know of your concerns. Unfortunately, I was on vacation and did not get the chance to review your complaint. Please contact me directly to discuss the issue.

Ken, GM

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The room was reasonably clean, but not entirely secure. there were multiple residents who stared whenever we werent in our room and made us feel quite uneasy. The guy who owned it was lovely and very helpful- he was obviously keeping an eye on us and making sure we were safe. His family were all lovely. However, on our first night we could hear very strange carnal noises through the wall from 7pm- the walls were paper thin. at 2:30am we were woken by gunshots, screaming and glass smashing, which continued until 5am. It was terrifying, but they were gone by the morning.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Aimeejaney,

Thank you for your taking the time to share a review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our clean rooms and friendly service. We are not aware of any issues such as gunshots taking place at our property. Please know that all claims will be further investigated and the appropriate action taken.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I would like to echo some of the opinions above. THE PARKING LOT IS NOT EVEN SAFE. There were many shady characters hanging out very late at night; there were people that looked like they were in the middle of some kind of sex-proposition, there were terribly beaten-down cars all over the parking lot except one really gorgeous Mercedes... UM. Also, we didn't even get out of the car, because there was a man staring at us from the 3rd balcony for the entire 5-10 minutes we were deliberating about even getting out. THIS PLACE IS NOT SAFE. I would hate to see what the rooms look like; I can't even imagine. We eventually drove away and stayed at a Day's Inn, which was only one exit behind us. WAY BETTER. And it wasn't even fancy at all. At least it was safe!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marie S

Dear Marie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Americas Best Value Inn-Knoxville, TN

Reviewed 6 July 2011

The worst hotel I've ever stayed in--and I've stayed in some dumps. We arrived late at night to find the parking lot haunted by hookers and drunks. We had to check in through a bulletproof glass window while standing outside and then walk through the drunks to our rooms. It was unsafe to say the least. Our rooms were dirty, and in bad need of repair. I half expected someone to try to break down the door all night and we were glad to find our golf clubs still in our car the next morning.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends