“Nice hotel, but didn't AAA discount!!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Knoxville - Downtown
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Very nice facility. Every staff member we encountered was friendly. Close to all downtown sights and sounds - within walking distance. The only disappointment was they wouldn't give a AAA discount. I've never had that experience before at Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LoveIndiana

Reviewed 5 April 2014

First, I find it interesting that (as of today) the top 2 rated hotels in Knoxville are Hampton Inns ....tells you something about the city, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I like Hampton Inns, especially since they have undergone the renovation upgrades over the past few years. Generally well priced and convenient for your basic room to sleep in. This hotel was very convenient to the things I needed to do (meeting downtown on evening of arrival and then another meeting at the University Medical Center next day). The main entrance is actually in the parking garage on the side of the building. If you don't believe it and miss it (like I did the first time) be prepared to negotiate all the one way streets in downtown Knoxville to get back to the entrance. The staff was very pleasant; apologized for the renovation construction underway in the lobby and called me shortly after arrive to make sure all was well in the room. Free parking and free internet are were bonus. The room was relatively small and smelled a little musty, characteristic of hotel rooms with those "window unit air conditioners". My only complaint was the air coming from the AC unit blows right on you if you are trying to work at the desk....very annoying. I ended up just turning the unit off while I tried to get some work done. Ask for an odd numbered room if you want a view looking out over the Univ Tennessee campus (or an even numbered room if, like me, you want to avoid that).

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room if you want a view looking out over the Univ Tennessee campus (or an ev...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tlagyn
Anita L, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Knoxville - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hi there!
I wanted to take just a moment today to say thank you for a couple of things. First, let me say thank you for choosing to stay with us. We know you have many choices and appreciate you picking our hotel. Second, let me say thank you for taking time to provide a TripAdvisor review for our hotel and sharing specific ways in which we can improve. We are so very sorry that you didn't have an exceptional stay in our hotel. We firmly believe as a hotel team that Good is simply not Great and that our guests deserve a GREAT hotel stay. Even though we don't respond to every TripAdvisor review we do read them, share them with our team and use them in training and development. If you wouldn't care to reach out to me or the team we would love to offer you our 100% satisfaction guarantee and also invite you to come back when the hotel public space is finished and show you that we can offer you a truly Great stay.
Thank you again for your time, your patronage and your feedback on how we can improve.
Best wishes,
865-522-5400
anita.lane@hilton.com

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I were in town for the Knoxville Marathon. I needed a place to stay downtown within short walking distance of the Knoxville Convention Center and World’s Fair Park where the race activities were located. This hotel location was perfect and the parking garage belonging to it was extra convenient and helpful the entire week-end of our stay. We would have stayed here for the location, alone, but the overall experience was amazing. The hotel was spotless. The beds were the most comfortable I’ve ever experienced in this price range. The rooms were so comfortable and cozy. It just had a “homey” feel to it, like it was our own little place to come back to every night. The staff at check in and check out were extremely helpful and so friendly - Genuinely friendly, not just the plastic smile most check-in staff gives you because it’s their job. These people were genuinely nice and welcoming. The only negative thing I can say about the experience (if you can even call this a negative) is that I could not find any butter at the continental breakfast. However, the biscuits and waffles were so incredibly fluffy and delicious that I didn’t even miss the butter. Unfortunately, we did not get to use the indoor pool and fitness facilities, but they looked to be in excellent condition. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I needed a downtown Knoxville location. It’s at the center of everything, yet feels like a home away from home.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hello!
We were working in TripAdvisor today and sharing the recent comments that we've received with our hotel team. We wanted to take just a moment to say thank you. Your kind words meant the world to us today and your comments made us all smile. Simply put we feel very blessed to be in the hospitality industry (rather than the hotel business) and folks like you are why we love what we do!!
Thanks so much for your kindness and your patronage. Please come see us again soon!
865-522-5400
anita.lane@hilton.com

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel since it is within walking distance to the Bijou Theater. We thought it odd that the main entrance to the hotel is located in the parking garage! We found our room to be average in size, clean, and starting to show its age (the hotel is about 8 years old now). There were some imperfections in the ceiling, and marks showing on the walls. Shortly after arriving in our room, there was a courtesy call from the front desk to make sure everything was satisfactory (nice touch). The staff was extremely nice and helpful with providing restaurant choices in the area. They did also apologize for the renovations that were underway in the area where breakfast is served. We chose to eat breakfast at a separate location. We felt the price ($165 for a Friday night stay) to be high based on this type of hotel. I would expect to pay this amount at a higher end hotel, but not a Hampton Inn. They do offer "free" parking and in room wireless internet. A good, basic hotel choice in downtown Knoxville, but nothing spectacular.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello!
Thank you so much for taking time to complete a TripAdvisor review for our hotel. Although we don't respond to every review we do actually read them all as a hotel team and enjoy hearing what our amazing guests are telling their friends and folks about our hotel. We really appreciate the specific comments you provided and you have our word that we will always use your feedback in developing our hotel. We could tell by the review that we did not provide an exceptional stay for your time in our hotel. We are so sorry that we were the one part of the time in Knoxville that didn't live up to expectations and deliver a great time. One of the great things about being a Hampton is that we have and always will offer a 100% satifsaction guarantee. If you aren't satisfied then we aren't either and we don't expect you to pay. If you would please reach out to our hotel or to me personally we would be happy to honor that guarantee for you. Also, we would love to invite you back (once we are completely beautiful and brand new again) to stay with us and let us show you we can provide the level of service you deserve. In the meantime, thanks again for letting us know how we can improve and we'll look foward to hearing from you soon!!
Best regards,
865-522-5400 or anita.lane@hilton.com

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was staying in Knoxville for a family get together and had a quarter sheet cake I picked up from a local bakery to stow overnight. Clearly no mini-fridge could hold this cake, and a full-service hotel that I had booked a couple blocks away from this one could not offer me options for cake storage. I called the manager of this hotel and she kindly offered to accommodate my need.

When I checked in, I was immediately impressed by the friendly helpful attitude of the staff. The location of this property cannot be beat-both the UT campus and Downtown Market Square are an easy stroll from the hotel.

I am so happy that fate intervened and led me to this hotel. This will be my future home on return trips to Knoxville and I will happily bypass the larger hotels nearby for the friendliness and prime location of this hotel.

Room Tip: The corner suites are amazing-extra square footage feels spacious.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Robin H
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We spent one night here for a function at University of Tennessee. The hotel is 5 minutes from the Welcome Center. It was easy to get to the hotel from the highway, and they have a free parking garage. When you enter the garage there are some parking spots for registration. If you have much luggage, stop here and unload since there is no access to the hotel from the other floors of the garage, and you have to walk back down through the garage. Check-in was simple. The room was clean with just a bit of mildew around the tub caulking. The air conditioner/heater fan could be set to stay on all night to help drown out some of the traffic noise that is common in downtown hotels. The breakfast room was under renovation, as other reviewers have pointed out, so choices are a bit limited, but we still had scrambled eggs and sausage. The attendant could make waffles in the back. I would not let this renovation deter me from staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The staff went above and beyond to make the Newly weds special night. The staff made you feel as though anything you needed they were very happy to help. The location is great: Everything was within walking distance and or a cab ride away. Very clean and better than I expected.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple