“Are You Sure That This Isn't a B&B?”

Hampton Inn & Suites Knoxville - Downtown
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Long Beach, CA
“Are You Sure That This Isn't a B&B?”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

With the exception of one, I've found Hampton Inns to be just what's needed: clean rooms, comfy bed, a satisfactory and free breakfast--all the basic needs, their only drawback being inconveniently located in an industrial complex or across the street from a strip mall.

Last month, though, the chain outdid itself. I had entered an adult spelling bee in Knoxville, and the Hampton Inn Downtown was recommended. I rented a car at the airport and followed the GPS directions. When the voice announced I had reached my destination, I looked everywhere and couldn't find the hotel. I got out of the car and realized that the impressive-looking brick building that I'd at first taken for a municipal hall or an upscale apartment building was the hotel. I was looking for a nondescript white hotel that looked like a Hampton Inn.

The parking was convenient; it was in a garage and led into the building itself. Kori and Justin at the desk checked me in and were incredibly friendly--and I don't mean with the Hilton smile. They actually wanted to please, and it wasn't just me that got the down-home treatment. Later on in the evening, I had a problem with my computer keyboard, which I brought downstairs. They weren't busy at the desk and enthusiastically gave me a number of helpful ideas.

Breakfast was terrific--not the food itself, really. Hampton Inn breakfasts are very good but basic, although the coffee's good. But other Hampton Inns don't have Bethany. Bethany has a mountain accent thick enough to spread on one of the biscuits, and she came over and chatted with us about her life and her work (she taught us that Rocky Mountain folks don't say "y'all" but
"you 'uns," telescoped to "y'uns." She carried around a little packet of Post-It notes on which she wrote sayings and homilies, which she then stuck to the bananas. I wish that I'd remembered a few of them, but they were wonderful.

And the location--steps away from City Hall, Main Street, and a bunch of neat little shops and restaurants. We were out there every evening!

I don't know what I'm looking forward to most: next year's spelling bee or another night at the Knoxville Downtown Hampton.

Room Tip: As always, far enough away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TrepidTraveler1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Knoxville, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a great experience at the Hampton Inn in Downtown, Knoxville. It is a great location that is close to awesome restaurants that are fairly close! Very clean facility and top notch customer service from the front desk staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay. The staff was the most helpful staff of any hotel I have stayed at in a long time. The breakfast was fantastic and service was wonderful. A few comments for improvement: We stayed in a suite. The room carpet and couch could use an update. The air in the room felt very humid and damp. We wondered if it was because of the window A/C unit. We did not complain about it because our stay was so short, that it wouldn't bother us too badly for one night. Also, the suite was a bit smaller than other hampton inn suites. The closet and bathroom layout was awkward.

Hardy, AR, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived very late because of car trouble. I called to cancel and then we just decided to drive through the night so I called back to reinstate my reservation. The staff was very helpful. Breakfast was great with lots of choices for our 3 grandkids. The beds are very comfortable and the view of downtown was nice. We didn't get to use the pool but it was nice and clean. The parking garage is right next to the lobby area. This was the third leg of our trip and we stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites for all 3 stops. We need the suite because we travel with 3 grandkids and need the extra space. I have to plan our stops where there is a Hampton. It' s the only hotel we use!

Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Hampton Downtown Knoxville once again exceeded expectation. Breakfast was good and plentiful... they even offered complimentary "to go" bags with a muffin, apple, cereal bar and water. The staff is very customer focused. Late check out, extra waters, no problem! The only warning is that parking can be a bit tight if you have a large vehicle. Great location as well. Love this Hampton and we are looking forward to staying again.

Room Tip: Better view on the street side, but less traffic noise on the garage side.
2 Thank Katie400
Walkertown, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The breakfast was a little more than your average breakfast and the breakfast staff makes your stay very enjoyable! The beds are soooooo comfortable that I have made Hampton my number one choice in hotels now.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Laura P
st louis, mo
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Staff was helpful, hotel was quiet, convenient to the office I was visiting. Room was clean. Breakfast was good. Since it was work related, the hotel was recommended as being close to the office so I did not have time to shop around and compare prices.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business