“Okay stay, but horrible elevator”

Comfort Suites East
Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Average hotel, problems as follows:
1: Elevator is dark, slow, hot, smelly because no air movement
2: Dark rooms due to dark paint, dark carpet, insufficient lighting
3: Fuzzy picture on television
4: Two remotes to one television: one for volume and power, one to change channel
5: Bed covering stained, sheets had hole and one strand of hair
6: Towels in bathroom were stained
7: Poor water pressure in shower

Outstanding positive:
Breakfast was very good

Room Tip: Due to elevator, request 1st floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ilovelisa

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I got hung up in Knoxville while doing a cross country trip studying rural America. I spent 3 days there unexpectedly, and the people made the downtime rather productive and enjoyable.
The beds are very good, they have large duvets, and are new and clean. The room size is nice, you aren't crammed, and I had a nice desk to do some work. I had a fridge and microwave. Nice TV, with above average station coverage. Internet was free, and the wireless connection was fast and reliable. Breakfast was free, and quite good. They had scrambled eggs, bacon and an assortment of cold cereals and yogurt. When the staff realized my situation, they all banded together and used their personal connections to help me out, and in the end, my 3 day layover was actually productive.
I would recommend staying here, the appearance is great, it is clean and the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2011

The room in the Comfort Suites was a standard motel room, not the usual Comfort Suites set-up of partial wall dividing a sitting area from the bedroom. There was no seating at all, except the work table task chair or bed. It appeared that this particular room was cut down to size to allow the elevator right next to it (and I mean inches away).
There was a flapping vent in the bathroom, which sounded like water dripping into a pail, and a running toilet. The TV was an older tube model. The bathroom was small. The bed and linens were good, though.
The breakfast was good, but in a cramped room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I must have some sort of dark cloud hanging over my head every time I stay at a Comfort Suites because all of them seem to have the same problems. Poor customer service, lame continental breakfast and all seem to have booked rooms to out-of control youth groups during my stay. Unfortunately, this was the case once again during this visit and now makes 3 stays in a row with the same problems. My room had lousy linens and pillows, the toilet handle was broken, the staff couldn't care less about your concerns, the breakfast marginal at best. The young lady at the front desk was too busy talking on the phone with one of her friends to be bothered by any of my comments. This really is my last stay with a Comfort Suites or any other Choice Hotel. They're just not worth the cost or aggravation.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My entire family stayed here over Thanksgiving. We are the looneys who stay up all night and shop on Black Friday, so this was a perfect spot for us. It's only about 20 miles from the outlets of the Gatlinburg area, and about 20 miles from Kingston Pike (Knoxville's nicest mall).

The first room we were given wasn't the greatest--it needed vaccuming--but the front desk switched us to an excellent room without any issues. The staff was always helpful, and the woman who checked us in on Wednesday evening went so far as to call and see who was open for Thanksgiving dinner the next day.

The room was clean, the shower was great, and I'm sure the beds were lovely. I had insomia the entire weekend, so my sleep patterns were way off. Each suite has a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot, which helps keep food costs down.

I'd stay there again, if only because it's a quiet, well-priced, decent place.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Had over 20 rooms secured at this location. My family had to cancel but was still charged for the room. I tried for days to get a manager to call me back without any luck. I even had to get corporate involved. Getting total run around about crediting my card back. The manager Nick has lied time after time about saying he will call back. Our team attends an even in this area every year but guess where no families will stay in the future!!! Hope it was worth $100.23 to lose thousands from families attending in the future. Really a sad state of customer service on this hotel brand.

Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank berkster40
Reviewed 29 October 2010

This is a Comfort Inn, not a Ritz or even a Hilton. You get what you pay for, and on most points the hotel delivered beyond my expectations. The staff was polite. The rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. The hotel was modern.

My few complaints are: 1) I cannot stand hotel beds that don't have linens that get rewashed with each guest. This had a bedspread and blanket rather than a washable duvet like most hotels have now. This is a big issue for me. 2) the pillows were tiny. That was odd. 3) the maid left an envelope on the desk. I thought this was tacky. I'm planning on tipping. I don't appreciate being asked for it.

For guests who are planning on staying at the hotel to ride the $15 shuttle to a football game as we did, be warned. The shuttle is a school bus that does not take reservations and stops at several other hotels first. By the time it got to Comfort Inn, the bus was standing room only. We were squeezed into the aisle for at least a 20 minute ride, and it was very uncomfortable. The ride back was worse, as we waited over an hour, pressed together in the aisle, to make sure everyone had returned to the bus following the game. Everybody was tired and the UT fans were cranky, and the ride back was miserable. If I had it to do over again, I would either pay to park or find out what hotel the shuttle hits first and drive over to that hotel. This of course is not the hotel's fault, but as a lot of people select the hotel because of the shuttle, it's something to take into consideration.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends