“I would not recommend at this time”

Red Roof Inn Knoxville West - Cedar Bluff
Ranked #37 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We've stayed at numerous Comfort Inn & Suites and this was the worse one. The room was big, the furniture was dated but, for the most part, it was clean - or at least acceptable. The tub/toilet area was a different story. When shown to the manager, her response was "I wouldn't want to step into that." (meaning the shower) They really need to put some money into the hotel. I wouldn't recommend this place until I saw on their website that they've renovated the tub/toilet areas - a friend also staying here basically said the same thing because of their room which was on a different floor in a different wing. Our room also had a HORRIBLE smoke smell in the evening/night - manager couldn't do anything about it. They were sold out or close to sold out for the weekend. When we arrived after 3:00 to check in, our room wasn't ready and the "walkie talkie" the front desk clerks use to communicate with housekeeping wasn't working so the lady had to run off to talk to someone from housekeeping. The breakfast was good but the staff had a hard time keeping out with the coffee and some of the food items. The seemed understaffed for the breakfast and housekeeping even though they knew they were going to be busy - a big "kid's" event in the area that weekend. There are a lot of other hotels in the area. This one seemed to be charging as much as the others. I'd check out the others before staying here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 May 2013

This is a very nice Comfort Inn. I think it use to be a Courtyard. Most of the inside rooms have patios or decks overlooking courtyard and pool. recently renovated so do not look at old photos. Mine hade 37" HDTV comfortable bed and nice size bathroom.

Room Tip: ask for inside room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The rooms (yes....I did say rooms, with a bedroom door that closes) were the largest (midsize motel) rooms I have ever stayed in. The suite was spotless. The staff was courteous and helpful. Our stay was very comfortable.
The downer: Pool and INDOOR spa were closed. We were told the spa was closed for repair, but when we peeked into the windows, it was full and running. WTH? We chose this particular motel for the spa. (We figured the pool would still be closed, as it was outdoors) So we were highly disappointed.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite. They are awesome. If you choose this hotel for the spa, call ahead and make sure...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Spotlessly clean. Only minutes from downtown with free parking. The breakfast choices were better than any other 'free' breakfast we've seen. Very comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Free bottled water, fruit and cookies.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed here recently while working in town and absolutely will not stay there again! Initially, the hotel was clean enough, and although had quite the smell of overpowering cleanser, at least looked fairly clean. The lobby was very nice and updated but I found the room to be significantly outdated comparably. However, it wasn't bad. The room was very simple and the beds weren't super comfortable, but I had stayed at worse. Then I had to take a shower, and was sorely disappointed by the puney water pressure. As I settled into my room, I began smelling cigarette smoke- first outside my room, and eventually the whole room stunk of it! I specifically stayed there because the whole hotel was supposed to be smoke free and I am deathly allergic to smoke with my asthma. I called the front desk, who first said that someone was probably smoking outside close to my window (no less worrisome, thanks) and then as I explained this was worsening over several hours she said that if someone was smoking there really wasn't anything she could do about it. In addition, although they had "free wi-fi", it was absolutely useless! The first night the entire Internet AND satellite service completely went down and they couldn't tell me how long it would be to fix. The second night, it was back up, but the service was not even useable it was sooooo bad! It was impossible to even get and stay connected, much less load pages, stream, or even be able to use my computer for my business needs. When I checked out, the front desk attendant never even asked how my stay was, so I didn't offer my experience and dissatisfaction because I already knew I would not be returning. I expected a fairly nice stay based on the reviews I saw but I was sorely disappointed and will not stay there again!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Angela F
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

This is a sure bet while in Knoxville. It was convenient, cozy, comfortable, welcoming, felt like it was recently refurbished, quiet, nice workout room, overall a great place....especially good bargain at 10,000 points! Don't miss dining at the Parkside Grill! Great meals at a great price with nice atmosphere and very friendly staff. It's within a short walk from the hotel. Say goodbye to fast food! Don't think twice if you are considering this hotel in Knoxville... you will be very pleased!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We booked one of the suites and when we checked in, one of our keycards didn't work. It took a while for the front desk to fix the issue but they eventually did. No problem, we got into our room. The suite was huge and included a kitchen area. The room was clean but there was obvious evidence that it needed some fixing up. Don't know if I would book the suite again, but I would stay at this hotel. Fantastic continental breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pelotek
Tammy L, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Knoxville West - Cedar Bluff, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to let us as well as the public know the great service we provide at Comfort Inn and Suites. I do realize there are a few issues with the property but since taking it over on March 1, 2013 we have started upgrading and repairing a lot of the issues. Some of the bigger projects we hope to have complete within a year. Thank you again for you business and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip through Knoxville, Tennessee.

Tammy, GM