“Good Location, Some Issues”
Review of Hilton Knoxville

Hilton Knoxville
Ranked #22 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Good Location, Some Issues”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here in 7/2012 for a 3 day business conference. I was able to get a rate of about $100/night through the convention center event I was attending. The location is pretty good, right downtown by the convention center and about 2 blocks from Market Square. The room was also pretty nice, but nothing special. The place is pretty visually appealing and seems to boast a lot of different amenities, but I wasn't very impressed. Compared to similar hotels in downtown/metro areas, the nightly rate wasn't too bad but the value could be better. Parking is free (if you self park, valet is $12), and internet is also free. However, the internet is absolutely terrible. The wifi signal is incredibly weak and disconnected about every 3-4 minutes, making it impossible to get any work done. Breakfast comes at a hefty premium of $15 just for the buffet. I had it one day and while the food was good, the service was especially lacking. The waiter constantly bothered me, apparently trying to upsell me to coffee/juice/etc (although I'm not 100% sure if these items cost extra). I was also the only person in the restaurant at the time. I tried to pay my bill and the guy was nowhere to be found. I had an early meeting to get to and I had to wait about 10 minutes for him at the hostess station to have my credit card processed. Little inconveniences like that bug the heck out of me.

And if you stay here I highly recommend you get accustomed to using the stairs. There are 3 elevators servicing 18 floors, and the place is very busy. It takes about 15 minutes for an elevator to stop at your floor in the morning and evenings when people are coming/going.

The fitness center was pretty good, lots of cardio machines, a few hammer strength machines, and a dumbbell rack. I was able to get a decent workout in before more people arrived and it became too crowded to move around.

I might stay here again if I have business to do in the immediate downtown area, but its likely that I would stay elsewhere due to the shabby internet connection that really hindered my work.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. As for the problems with the internet connection we are currently undergoing an extensive project to completely replace the entire system. This will certainly correct that issue. On the breakfast buffet I do apologize for both the aggressive contact at the table and the lack of contact as you attempted to settle your bill. The coffee and juice are indeed included in the price of your buffet. I certainly hope that we have another opportunity to have you back at our hotel in the future. Thank you again and have a great day.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After driving cross country for a reunion, I spent the night in this hotel while waiting for our cabin. The place had clean rooms, soft beds (with down/feather pillows), and showers with hot water. My only complaint is in the value (or lack of). You can probably find more bang for your buck than you get here. Don't get me wrong, it has respectable Wifi (I was able to stream my Netflix with no hiccups) and the morning paper at your door is a nice touch. Room service is available (can't comment on the quality...didn't use it) for those who want it, but do you really have to charge a customer 12 bucks just to self park and 15 to valet park your car. I mean, I am bringing my business to you just by staying there. Also, for the standard price of the room, I kind of expected amenities such as an in room fridge, microwave, or maybe a built-in heating lamp/fan in the bathroom to prevent mirror fogging. I have seen such items at other places that charged less than the $100-200 bucks Hilton charges and no free continental breakfast...what gives. Value aside, the place offered me what I needed...a good hot shower and a good nights rest. If you can get a room at a discount...then the stay is definitely worth the price.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest evaluation of our hotel and the value we offered you. I certainly understand your comments regarding parking, refrigerators in rooms and complimentary breakfast. We strive to give our guests the best value possible in all areas including the ones you mentioned. Although we do not own and manage the parking facility we can certainly take strides in one area. We are working on plans now to add refrigerators to our guest rooms for all of our guests. The project could potentially take place in 2013. I trust that our commitment to continue to improve will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Paul
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Every May since 2008, I've been staying at the Hilton with fellow-Officials at Destination Imagination Global Finals. The rooms are comfortable and appointed for business travelers, quiet at night and convenient to all the events. (There's a 2-block covered walkway to the Knoxville Convention Center, so don't let the highway on the map worry you.)
Numerous people complain about the elevators (too few, too slow) but that may well be due to 200 people walking in en masse. However, I find the elevator music (Alternative) is a really good touch for the transition between room and work.
I suppose my only gripe would be that the showers in some rooms are puny, and wet towels don't leave when housekeeping does, which can be tedious after 4 days. Given that I didn't mention it, this problem may persist, but I have to hand it to Hilton -- you tell them there's a problem, and they fix it.

Room Tip: For some reason, floors 7 and 9 get speedier elevator service.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to see that you continue to return to our property for your travel needs in Knoxville. We share these notes with our team members and they are always pleased to see high marks from our guests. I will also make a personal commitment to ensure that the linen is removed from the room as expected. This is certainly an expectation that we should both have for a hotel of our stature and brand. Thank you again for your business and your feedback.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2012

On a business trip to Knoxville, staying one night at the Hilton. Rooms are clean, pleasant and comfortable. Staff is friendly, hotel is downtown, within walking distance to local businesses, Calhouns on the river and the green space/river walk. In house restaurant seems nice and the hotel appears to be pet friendly as I have seen several dogs in the elevator.outdoor pool is small but pleasant, shallow enough for young kids to enjoy. Should I return to Knoxville I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We are always grateful for the opportunity to celebrate such news with our associates who are responsible for your great experience. We hope to see you back soon.

Sincerely
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We are currently spending the evening at the Hilton Knoxville and paid to stay in one of the executive level rooms. We are dedicated reward members with Hilton and stay with Hilton on every trip we make. We are very disappointed in the rooms here, as far as being part of the executive level floor. The rooms are exceptionally small..... In addition, we went to visit the club room for hors d’oeuvres, you not only have to pay for your own cocktails, they charge you more than you would pay had you gone to the hotel lobby to get a drink! What are we paying for the executive level for? We have never spent the night at a hotel where we stayed on the executive level where they charge you for your drinks during “hors d'oeuvres time”! The only thing I can see where the extra money we spent is going towards is the one robe they left for us to use....? We were also charged for the roll away bed in our room (not to mention that the springs that hold the mattress are missing and the mattress itself is torn wide open and the "stuffing" is coming out!) No other Hilton has ever charged us for a roll away! All and all we are very disappointed. I would say that staying here in one of the regular standard rooms might be worth it but I would never stay here again on the executive level floor....and we come through Knoxville a lot...very disappointed. Especially my husband, who travels a lot for business and stays with Hiltons often!

One note, the service here is exceptional!

Room Tip: Don't expect anything special.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your travel needs. Also, thank you again for giving us honest feedback on your stay. I begin with my sincere apology for the problems that you experienced during your stay. We certainly want to offer a great value for our guests. We will absolutely address these issues and I feel confident that we can correct them going forward. Improving is only possible through thoughtful travelers such as you that let us know about their experiences.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Love the location and the fact that it allow pet to stay. Have a lovely quiet room at the end of the corridor as requested. Breakfast was a little bit disappointed, as there is not a big selection, by comparison to the Hilton in downtown Washington DC in Dupont Circle. Not to mention they have a health table. All in all it is a pleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Superlegalbabe
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your stay and experience at our hotel. I am sorry that your expectations were not met or exceeded. I do understand the desire to have healthier options available to you. I am certain that we can move forward in that direction to improve this area for you and other travelers. Thank you for your time and thoughtful remarks. Have a great day.

Litchfield Co CT
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit, we loved it last year and fell in love all over again this year, walking distance to all. Don't miss the farmers market the best one we have seen. The rooms are spacious, clean and updated

We will be back

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I just wanted to thank you for letting us and others know of your positive experience in our city and at our hotel. That is exactly what we are looking for and we were pleased to know that you had a great visit. Please come back soon.