“Under construction, over priced breakfast”

Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Baltimore, Maryland
“Under construction, over priced breakfast”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for one night. Be aware the hotel is being remodeled, so a big section of the hotel is in disrepair. The pool is closed, so if you're traveling with kids along the interstate, don't stay here.

Overall, the front-desk staff was ok-to-indifferent. Thought it had breakfast included with the rate, but it didn't. Kids 12 and under eat breakfast free. Adults pay $9.95 for a breakfast buffet that was of very poor quality and the service was slow. In addition, adults pay for any juice with breakfast, so, in addition to paying for a breakfast buffet you get for free any where else, you pay $2.25 for juice. Sounds like a small point, but it was insult to injury.

Bottom line, unless you can't find another room nearby, and there are plenty, keep looking. Stay at one of the two Holiday Inn Express a couple miles up the interstate either way and have a nicer room and free breakfast (with juice!).

Room Tip: Ask to be in a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank seamus73
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear seamus73,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the pricing structure of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Kinston
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Yes, it was under construction, but the inconvenience was minimal. Dinner by the pool was plain but good, room comfortable and reasonably quiet. When construction is complete it will certainly be worth a stay. OK now

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville!
Milan, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a group of 35 who stayed here. The rooms were large, clean and service was great.
The downside was that they are In a renovation program and there was construction going on, but we were taken care of and kept away from it. The breakfast was wonderful!! True southern breakfast. Rooms had refrigerators which is always a plus. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were good. You might want to request one away from the construction.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are thrilled that your group enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville!
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel any number of times. Over the years it has worn out. The good news is that they are in the midst of remodeling and updating. Therein lies the problem. The remodeling is underway and the hotel, while open, is a mess. It is a sleep-in construction zone and while I understand the need for the hotel to be open, I don't "need" to stay here while the construction is underway.

Once complete, I am sure the remodeled facilities and rooms will be very nice, but until then, don't bother. I'd suggest you call and ask if the construction is complete. If it's not finished, go ahead and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gerald K
Michael P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are striving to keep the hotel in the best possible shape during our renovations, which are now drawing to a close. We hope to see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel since it was close to my meeting the next day! Seemed nice enough from the website. I was told to try Doubletree, tried to save a few bucks though! Not my best decision. This hotel is very old and worn with some superficial updates.

Only nice part was the bar! It was nice and new! there was a attractive lady that seemed to make allot of friends at the bar and leave with them! Yikes!

Elevator was spooky and I thought I was I had taken a maintenance elevator by mistake!

Furnishings, bedding, cleanliness did not match my expectations on any level!

I also ws not impressed with the slow customer service!

Not a recommended or repeat hotel!

Positive points, the bar!

Room Tip: I have no idea as mine was not one I would choose to recommend!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank waterski T
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad you enjoyed Gibby's, our brand new bar & grille. We certainly apologize for the appearance of our property as we continue our remodel, we hope you'll give us another chance once our renovations are complete!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was here for business and enjoyed a downtown hotel and staff immensely, felt the Southern Charm and kindness! I do book online for the best deals and after seeing the reviews here on priceline I was not sure what to expect! First this hotel does not come close to the three star hotels I generally book! It is very old and dirty, getting some work done, allot of construction.

Seems they are ignoring the safety and convenience of the guests in the process.

Front desk Caleb was very professional, as for the rest of the staff, they are lackluster and seemed preoccupied. I went to the new restaurant? It was closed, when open staff was watching dancers and finally came to take my order. I decided to just drink as the menu did not seem that appealing and the guy next to me was complaining about his meal. I drove to the West mall and ate at the Cheesecake factory instead. I tried breakfast the next morning and could not stomach the greasy raw scrambled eggs. They printed someones else bill at check out and could not seem to find my information.

My room had an odor, maybe wet would be the best explanation, mildew smell, wet dog?? The chair had a big stain and I did not want to sit there. Bathroom smelled of cleaning products and not in a good way! I did not like spending time in my room, but most of the hotel was so overwhelmed with construction and workers, really no where to relax!

I felt like I was in the workers way instead of staying in a hotel that had my stay in mind!

I would not stay here again, cleanliness, staff and poor service all around!

Caleb should work where there is a team like him, he does not fit this hotel, nor do I!

Room Tip: Hopefully one that is far different from the room I stayed in!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank James W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear James W,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am pleased to know that you found the hotel's location adequate, also for citing one of our staff highly commendable.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience the renovations may have caused you. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make it right.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for one night since this was a pet friendly hotel. The front desk staff was very helpful and checking in with our small dog was a breeze. There is a bar and restaurant in the front of the hotel that we didn't use but it appeared that everyone in there was having a great time. The hotel was under renovation and some of the construction was inconvenient for the parking lot, doors and elevators. However that should end once the renovations are complete. We don't think our room was one of the renovated ones but we aren't sure and we're basing that upon the bathroom. The room and bathroom were clean and very comfortable. We had a fridge in the room that was a nice surprise and came in handy. The location is great - right off the highway and surrounded by lots of services and restaurants. If traveling with a pet, I'd recommend this hotel and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CruiserHoo
Michael P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again after our renovations!