Red Roof Inn Knoxville Central
Ranked #56 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I travel all around the country and I have been to Knoxville a couple of times, but this time when I checked in the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. When I went into my room, on the third floor, it smelled like someone smoked some illegal stuff! I don't mind it but it was overwhelming. The AC was on and it made a god awful noise, I tried to see if it was just the cover. I took the cover off and there was soooooo much dust built up under the cover it was pathetic. Looked like it wasn't cleaned for months. When I took a shower later that evening, the water pressure at the faucet was great until I turned on the shower, it was like drip, drip. I am retired military and still used to taking quicker showers than normal people, takes me about 6 minutes to get clean, this shower took me a minimum of 15 minutes!!! When I finally opened the shower curtain I noticed behind the bathroom door there was black, greasy looking stuff running down the back of the door, looked really nasty.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin L

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Can't ask for any more. Clean room, an ok wifi right off of I 40. Their continental breakfast was not good. But for under $50 to crash for a night, can't complain. Will consider staying again if I visit the area.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Booked room on Priceline for about $48.00 per night. It was difficult to find coming in from the west on I-40, so make sure you have good directions. The hotel had all inside rooms & a a friendly front desk staff. Room was fine - although TV was old & small. But then, all I wanted to do was go to sleep. The breakfast buffet was eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, pancakes, creels......not real neatly but filling. I made a breakfast sandwich out of the bagel, egss & sausage and headed out on I-40 East to see a beautiful sunrise over the Smokey Mountains.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is not one of the better RRI's you'll find.

There is a general run-down, dingy, borderline uncleaned feel to this hotel, and there is a musty old carpet smell that you can't get away from. The rooms are not thoroughly cleaned; mine had very obvious cobwebs and areas that hadn't been thoroughly vacuumed. The AC cord was unplugged from the TV to save power, but it was wall-mounted and it was not obvious where the AC cord plugged in on the back. The phone did not work. The bed was okay, but the sheets were pilled and old. The view out the window on the ground floor was of the muddly, grassless area between the halves of the hotel and the construction area. The pool area was run-down, with weeds growing in the planters and the remaining shubbery. There was a roof- covered area with tables at the pool, but the ceiling was missing in places and water was dripped down. The pool needed to be serviced.

The front desk worker appeared to be an owner or manager of the unit, but had no name tag with his name or position on it. He spoke very poor English and was a bit curt with me when I asked if I could pay cash (which is my policy). He informed me that the hotel had recently had a number of cases where guests had paid cash, and then stole everything from the room. That didn't make me feel too safe, as did the guests I saw in the hallways, and the construction workers outside.

The "Business Center" was just a single desktop computer, a phone that wouldn't dial out, and a printer. The air conditioning didn't work in that room.

The "Fitness Center" had the lights turned out, and the treadmills, etc. were scattered around the room in such a way that it appeared they'd been moved by the staff and not put back in place. It didn't look like it had been used in a while.

There was a lot of noise in the hallways in the evening there.

I didn't stick around for breakfast so can't rate it, but after everything else I saw there, I didn't want to take a chance on eating there.

As of this review date, there is a great deal of construction work taking place on the left half of the hotel. It looks like a complete remodel. The area around the hotel is completely devoid of grass, has puddles of standing water, and in general, looks like a construction area. The walkways between the halves are blocked off with plastic and scaffolding.

I have stayed at the RRI on Advantage Place off Cedar Bluff Rd., and it's not that much further out. I highly recommend this other location. If you look at the TripAdvisor reviews, it gets very high marks and I would agree with those.

I would not recommend that travelers stay at this RRI location.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, I would suggest staying on the top floor in the right half of the hot...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were on a roadtrip to Florida and had made reservations the night prior. My expectations were lower based on previous experiences with other Red Roofs. The front desk personnel was upbeat, give us the run down to the locations of everything and offered up. Menu to a local restaurant that delivered food other than pizza. The room was clean, beds were average, I would return on my way to Florida!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I've never stayed at a Red Roof Inn before but this place was great. It was very clean, had a frig & microwave & was convenient for us since we were on a road trip. Breakfast was ok for a motel. We were in a room in the back so had no road noise. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We have stayed in several Red Roof Inns--so far this is the most disappointing and only average for a Red Roof Inn. Our reservation said "superior king room, our best room with larger work area." In fact, it seems smaller than usual and the "larger work area" is just a table. We asked for a room on the ground floor overlooking the parking lot so we could see our car. Even though we made the reservation weeks ago, they could not accommodate this request when we arrived. The room is clean and nicely decorated but there are several issues: broken toilet seat which is uncomfortable to use; sink faucet is loose and wobbles several inches in each direction and is difficult to use; the safety lock on our door is completely broken and unusable. I'm sure these repairs are obvious to the maids---apparently there is no maintenance. Large construction project next door. On the plus side, we do have flat screen TV, king bed, micro, tiny frig on floor (hard to reach), clean carpet and drapes. The online price was high for this quality. We'll pick a different place next time we visit this area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple