“VOL fan not won over!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Jonesborough, TN
“VOL fan not won over!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2004

We checked in on Saturday afternoon and had a very nice and polite young man. The lobby area was very nice and luxurious looking. Excellent staff!

We had reserved a room for the TN/Florida football game. We were suppose to have a suite on the 9th floor, but due to some rain damage from hurricane Ivan, the room was unavailable (I do not fault the hotel for this). Instead, we were downgraded to a regular "river view room" on the 3rd floor. I knew that the river view rooms were a bit smaller than the atrium rooms and I was OK with this since I had read here how beautiful a view the river was. Also, we didn't want to be overlooking the atrium, knowing that it would be a rowdy night. However, the only non-smoking room that was available was a double room -no kings. OK, we can live with that also.

When we first walked into our room, we were knocked down with an airfreshner odor. It was obvious that the previous occupants had smoked , or that there had been some rain damage (the new looking carpet felt damp and had a big long crease in the middle - like it had been stretched) in that room and the air freshener was a cover up for the smell.

The room itself looked nice enough, but on further inspection, it looked run down. The with new curtains, comforter and furniture. The bedspreads and pillows were nice and fluffy, but the beds were concave in the middle. One bed had pillow cases that were yellowed and both beds appeared to have been slept in. Upon further inspection, I found really curly hairs near the head of my sheets. EEK!

We opened the curtains to view the river. Imagine our surprise when the closest thing to a river was a dirty empty swimming pool with some stagnant rain water in the bottom. Beyond that was a tree covered highway type road. We could see the river! I would think that there were some pretty upset folks that had wanted to spend the day at the pool until game time on Saturday evening. OK, we can live with that also.

Next, we inspected the bath room. While roomy enough, it was in bad need of a paint job. The mirror was not clean and had foggy looking water spots (toothpaste sprays) all over it. The tub had hairs in it and on the shower curtain.

We didn't have time to ask for a change, because we were already late for a pre-game party. However, I was not looking forward to staying the night.

When we returned that evening, I assumptions were correct that the lobby areas would be noisy. We were glad that we brought along our "sound machine" to drown out any neighborly activities. We retired around 1:30 am and at 2:30 am, I was awakened by our neighbors returning down the hall. I went back to sleep without any trouble, but I must say that the bed was most uncomfortable on the back.

The next morning, I took a shower with a very poorly pressured shower head. I reached for the first towel available and opened it up. There in the middle was a very long hair. OK, I try towel # 2. Something cream colored all over it. Towel #3 seemed fine.

We couldn't wait to get out of that hotel and back home. We did eat the breakfast buffet and it was very good.

Bottom line...The Marriott needs to spiff up their rooms a bit more than just putting in new curtains and bedspreads. Some paint, new bathroom fixtures are in order.

We could have just been given a bad room, but we are not even sure if we could have changed since the hotel was booked with football fans. BTW - Vols beat Florida 30-28 in the last 6 seconds with a two point 50 foot field goal. Go VOLS!!!

• Stayed September 2004
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Hotelcritique

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2004

Went with my husband on a business trip to Knoxville. Our room was not too small. Our bedding was extremely comfortable. Room service was fast and staff was hospitable. Lobby area looked nice. Lovely cafe to eat in. This hotel has a pool plus a volleyball court.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2004

Stayed at the Knoxville Marriott 9/3-9/6 and had a great visit. The hotel was very busy, but everyone was very nice. I was upgraded to a concierge level room upon check-in, and the room was impeccably clean. My room faced the river, so it was a bit smaller than the rooms facing the atrium, but was still roomy enough. The furnishings were all brand new as was the carpet. "Granny" at the hotel lounge always took care of my party - everyone there was incredibly helpful considering how busy the place was. Definitely the nicest hotel in downton Knoxville.

3 Thank Brad A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2004

We stayed one day / night before returning to Michigan after a three-week vacation tour of the South. Our stay was a bit above average; we got lucky I guess after reading the two previous reviews. We stayed on the ninth floor facing the Tennessee river and it was a nice view... make sure you get a room like that! The flaws: no fridge nor microwave in the room; the restaurant is way too expensive & they try to act like it is elegant or something; walls did seem thin as we heard water running from other rooms' sinks & toilets while in our bathroom. Now, the good stuff: very soft beds / pillows / comforters; large closet; pull out coffee area; desk chair plus cushioned chair near window; extrememly large lobby with plenty of comfortable seating & piano; excellent fitness equipment in a large room with a tv; free city trolly runs by every 10 minutes on weekdays (ends at 6 pm); four large & fast elevators; fairly large outdoor pool with plenty of lounge chairs; free parking even though the hotel is considered "downtown" area; walking distance to river park / walkway and University of Tennessee (I walked from the university to the hotel via the river walkway in less than an hour and it was very pleasant). Other info: our kids liked it a lot, especially the see-thru elevators; I asked the front desk if there was coffee anywhere and I got coffee delivered to me in five minutes from the bellhop; downtown knoxville was fun, a typical college town atmosphere; and lastly we got onto I-75 easily from the hotel.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2004

We stayed at the Knoxville Marriott for 4 nights in Dec 2003. IMO, this property does not represent typical Marriott quality. It is very tired & in need of a major overhaul. We could hear every word of the conversation in the room next to us, so the walls are paper thin. I would not stay there again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2004

This is hotel is average at best. Nothing spectacular at all. Rooms just looked like any other generic Marriott hotel. Everything was clean and in fairly good condition. Looked a little tired to me. Did not eat in the restaurant, but it looked nice. When I return Knoxville, I will be staying at the Radisson Summit Hill. I had to stay there for my last night. It's probably more expesnive, but well worth the money. Much more upscale with more charm and character... and a much nicer staff. The staff at the Marriott we're helpful, but not real personable. I personally prefer hotels that have their own uniqueness and character. The Marriott is not like this. It's nice, just not that special.

4 Thank wgt1984
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2003

I was in Knoxville Tennessee on July 19 had a 35 year reunion there and stayed at the Marriot downtown. The hotel was beautiful and I enjoyed the smoky mountains and gatlinburg and I would have to say Knoxville is a wonderful place to visit I hope to go again soon. Plan to go next year for another vacation. thanks Kaye Paz

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member